Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blow It Up
(10-07-2019, 03:15 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Blowing it up isn't really practical.  This isn't Madden and there's a limit to what you can do.  There are very few guys on this roster that will bring a first or second rounder.

That being said, here are a few moves that would return the value that the Bengals need:

1.  I hate it, but if the rumors of the Bengals being able to get a first rounder for AJ Green, you have to do it.
2.  Carlos Dunlap.  There are a few teams that need a good pass rusher.  He could be a nice addition for a team looking for a pass rusher.
3.  Geno Atkins.  You don't hear much about him, but if you could get a late first/2nd rounder, have at it.

Another idea that may make sense:

Trent Williams for AJ Green straight up. Both in their 30s, Williams wants out and Washington could use a guy like AJ for Haskins development.

1. Yes. You do.
2. 2nd rounder or higher, then yes. Maybe a 3rd if it's going to be a high 3rd. CD can still play.
3. Absolutely.

Trent for AJ? No. Why? Why take on one aging asset for another if you're ostensibly rebuilding? Further, the wear on the tires of a 320+ LB offensive lineman is a lot worse than a guy like AJ, even though AJ's already breaking down.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2019, 02:50 PM)spazz70 Wrote: Trade every player over 30 that you can get a 1st to 3rd round pick for....rebuild it now....go draft your QB of the future (it is not Finley)...draft 2 more OL and a couple LBers...we still have a good core of young players to build around...  Just do not wait and string it out...  It needs to be done immediately..WHODEY

Why?
Sign Good LB's in FA and draft the crap out of OL.

Grab that Andrew guy from Georgia, I don't care if him and Jonah are both LT's in the NFL, best one gets LT, other is RT, grab that Center from Wisconsin in round 2, get RT Back up (in case one of our T's get hurt)/RG in round 3 and 4.
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2019, 05:40 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Why?
Sign Good LB's in FA and draft the crap out of OL.

Grab that Andrew guy from Georgia, I don't care of him and Jonah are both LT's in the NFL, best one gets LT, other is RT, grab that Center from Wisconsin in round 2, get RT Back up (in case one of our T's get hurt)/RG in round 3 and 4.

IF we want to maximize the current roster...that's the path to doing it. Draft another Tackle. Release or trade Glenn. Sign another Guard like Quentin Spain.

AND add a LB in free agency.

That said, IF AJ Green leaves or Mixon holds out...that kind of forces our hand somewhat.
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2019, 05:14 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Billings will be expensive and doesn't play a premium position. You might be able to get a comp 3rd pick for him in a trade. Plus we have  Topu, Glasgow, and Wrenn at nose for the future.

Topou has flashed but he's inconsistent. I think Glasgow still isn't 100% from his injury and Wren has been pretty bad. 

I agree that there are options, but none of them quite do what Billings can do. I guess it comes down to what his asking price ultimately is.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2019, 06:09 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Topou has flashed but he's inconsistent. I think Glasgow still isn't 100% from his injury and Wren has been pretty bad. 

I agree that there are options, but none of them quite do what Billings can do. I guess it comes down to what his asking price ultimately is.
I get I like Billings to but I'm not spending big money on a non pass rushing NT.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
We’re screwed.

If we continue to extend and attempt to build around our current core, we lose because the Brown family sucks at drafting and FA don’t want to play here. Meanwhile our core gets older and more bungalized by the day.

If we trade our assets for draft picks we lose because the Brown family sucks at drafting and FA don’t want to play here.

It’s just two different routes to destination ******
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2019, 05:19 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Why trade Geno & Los there good players on team friendly deals? Also we have full control of AJ with the franchise Tag? Why trade him.
Eifert is the only one of those guys I would trade before the deadline(to be clear I would cut Smith, Brown, and Vigil. It's not even worth the effort looking for a trade partner there) but you probably get a 6th in return.
I would trade Dalton in the off-season probably can get a third or 4th in return for him.

I wouldn't be against keeping them. I said in another thread i'd keep Los, and right now i'd still try and trade Geno because you could still get a lot for him. There's a logjam at DT and Geno isn't producing like he once did. Get while the gettin's good with him. 

I'm just tired of the half-assing going on with this team. Either jettison the older guys and get some picks and allow the younger guys to develop...or get Conklin and Littleton in FA, use the draft wisely and get #14 the hell out of here. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2019, 05:50 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: IF we want to maximize the current roster...that's the path to doing it. Draft another Tackle. Release or trade Glenn. Sign another Guard like Quentin Spain.

AND add a LB in free agency.

That said, IF AJ Green leaves or Mixon holds out...that kind of forces our hand somewhat.
They can franchise Green if he leaves then the Bengals are just Dumbass's (which isn't a shock) & if Mixon holds out? So what if you improve the Offensive line any decent RB can produce with a good line.
J24

Reply/Quote
(10-07-2019, 06:14 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I wouldn't be against keeping them. I said in another thread i'd keep Los, and right now i'd still try and trade Geno because you could still get a lot for him. There's a logjam at DT and Geno isn't producing like he once did. Get while the gettin's good with him. 

I'm just tired of the half-assing going on with this team. Either jettison the older guys and get some picks and allow the younger guys to develop...or get Conklin and Littleton in FA, use the draft wisely and get #14 the hell out of here. 

You're not getting anything for Geno. Michael Bennett only managed to get a 5th RD pick for the eagles this off season.
J24

Reply/Quote
oh this isn't a Jim turner thread... my bad...
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2019, 05:19 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Why trade Geno & Los there good players on team friendly deals? Also we have full control of AJ with the franchise Tag? Why trade him.
Eifert is the only one of those guys I would trade before the deadline(to be clear I would cut Smith, Brown, and Vigil. It's not even worth the effort looking for a trade partner there) but you probably get a 6th in return.
I would trade Dalton in the off-season probably can get a third or 4th in return for him.
Because they are all past their prime and we are 2-3 years from being competitive.  In 3 years they wont be productive anymore so trade them now while there is still value there.  Geno, Carlos, AJ and Eifert are about the only ones on the roster that could be valuable to a contender that we could let go.  Players like Boyd, Mixon, Lawson, Bates, Jackson and other younger guys are the future hopefully...dont let them walk.
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2019, 06:25 PM)scorp1974 Wrote: Because they are all past their prime and we are 2-3 years from being competitive.  In 3 years they wont be productive anymore so trade them now while there is still value there.  Geno, Carlos, AJ and Eifert are about the only ones on the roster that could be valuable to a contender that we could let go.  Players like Boyd, Mixon, Lawson, Bates, Jackson and other younger guys are the future hopefully...dont let them walk.

Rebuilding in the NFL is relatively easy especially if you hit on a QB. Fix the offensive line, LB core, and have little to no drop off in QB play then we are a playoff team next season.
J24

Reply/Quote
(10-07-2019, 06:31 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: and have little to no drop off in QB play then we are a playoff team next season.

But what about the playoffs this season? Ninja

[Image: giphy.gif]

Reply/Quote
(10-07-2019, 06:42 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: But what about the playoffs this season? Ninja

[Image: giphy.gif]
Yeah thats out window
J24

Reply/Quote
(10-07-2019, 07:03 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Yeah thats out window

Mathematically no, but yes we know. Just having a little fun in a burning house.

Reply/Quote
(10-07-2019, 07:28 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Mathematically no, but yes we know. Just having a little fun in a burning house.

Honestly, what a shame being this terrible now. Our division is the weakest it's been in years. Our 2015 team would probably go 5-1 or 6-0 in this easy division.

Of course, we know the Steelers would probably beat us with their 3rd string QB...because that's what they do.
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2019, 07:34 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Honestly, what a shame being this terrible now. Our division is the weakest it's been in years. Our 2015 team would probably go 5-1 or 6-0 in this easy division.

Of course, we know the Steelers would probably beat us with their 3rd string QB...because that's what they do.

Whoa! Not shameful at all? Geez, I know I had high expectations, but you didn't? So why complain about something you figured would happen anyway? I'm just now coming down off my Bengals high, you never got even the slightest Bengal buzz. Now that my glasses have become less tinted since I've came inside, I stand back and ask myself about the reality of what I was expecting? Yes, it would have been great for the first year coach to go 10-6 (and, well, we can still do that Ninja ) but it is what it is so I deal with it with a humble smile. I mean, what else can I do?

As for this division being weak? Yeah, it is, I agree with that. But, TBH, the Ravens might be serious. Not so much the Browns, they are a clown show who think 2-2 is SB material (they don't know math there and don't realize .500). 

Let's talk MB for a moment. He has done some un-MB-like things lately. He's still tight on the wallet tho since he didn't get active in FA. But since I'm stuck with him with nothing in my power to do but not go to games, there's really nothing we can do? Although it was interesting reading the politician in Cincinnati telling them to go. 

So I end with this. Let's be real. Even tho the division sucks and we may have dominated with our 2015 team, what good is it if we still have yet failed to win a playoff game? How great of a comeback it would be when a Steelers fan blurts out that they've won 6 SB's and we say, well, we've won 10 AFCN Championships? Specially when they respond they've won 23? 

Reply/Quote
(10-07-2019, 02:50 PM)spazz70 Wrote: Trade every player over 30 that you can get a 1st to 3rd round pick for....rebuild it now....go draft your QB of the future (it is not Finley)...draft 2 more OL and a couple LBers...we still have a good core of young players to build around...  Just do not wait and string it out...  It needs to be done immediately..WHODEY

We need two more OTs alone, a LG, a couple of LBers and some WRs as it is right now. When you add in replacements for anyone who is traded it would need to be a spectacular draft.

Sadly, though, Mike Brown would just f'up those picks and we'd have nothing to show for those trades. I can see him now picking anyone with an injury because he sees that as getting value in the draft.

Reply/Quote
(10-07-2019, 03:03 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Speaking of Duke Tobin... who is he? What exactly does he do? When did the organization hire him? Is he a Brown family relative? What are his qualifications? And most importantly... can he be fired?

Pretty sure he’s the director of player/personnel.
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2019, 03:01 PM)bengals67 Wrote: I would add the Alabama LT we drafted and Hopkins as a center. They need to be kept.

They also need a new Duke Tobin person- not sure of his title- and a serious investment in scouts.
SPECIAL ASSISTANT TO OWNER? KIND OF LIKE HUE LAST YEAR AND MAE
RVIN THIS YEAR
None of this will happen. Mike will keep things as they are and no one will be traded.

Lost decade II here we come.
Reply/Quote