Poll: Quick rebound or lengthy rebuild?
This poll is closed.
We can rebound quickly with smart moves in draft/FA, plus some coaching changes
78.43%
40 78.43%
It's going to be a long 3+ year rebuilding process to get this team back to contender status
21.57%
11 21.57%
Total 51 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blow it up? Or go for a quick rebound?
(12-01-2016, 08:40 PM)Stormborn Wrote: I think it'll take two years.

This is still very rough but it's taken about a week or so to accumulate:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_B01UfsLdOaRXl2YXpGMGVnbk0/view

Link is open idk why it wasn't before.

Also Whit needs to go, Fisher has to start.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2016, 03:02 PM)Stormborn Wrote: Link is open idk why it wasn't before.

Also Whit needs to go, Fisher has to start.

Worked for me earlier.  Interesting stuff Storm.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I could easily see this team contending next year. When you have the players they do the turn-around could be immediate.

Bring a new HC, some new staff. By doing so, insert some energy into the building. Change the culture. Make guys have to earn their roles in the new system.

Land one or two impact players in the draft, and spend to cap. Bring in a couple decent vets. Boom, you got yourself a threat to contend.

I still don't think that there's any one team that, without a doubt, has a better roster than we do right now. Which makes the results all the more maddening.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2016, 09:49 PM)J24 Wrote: Honestly we need to do both but that's the reality of the NFL. Good teams never rebuild because there always building every season.

This is what I'm talkin' about...
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2016, 11:03 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think we can rebound in one year with the right moves. If we miss, we could be looking at a 3-4 year rebuild.

We absolutely have to hit a HR with our Top 10 draft pick. I'd say that William Jackson needs to be a player also.

We also need to sign a couple impact free agents. Retain guys like Whitworth, Kirkpatrick, and Zeitler.

Things like that and we can rebound.
Sadly, it all depends on whether or not Marvy is the HC next season. If he is, I strongly think a 3 year "rebuild" is the correct answer.  Remember one of our posters said something like, " GOOD TEAMS DO NOT HAVE TO REBUILD. They do it continuously." Needless to say the Bengals aren't in that group. 
Reply/Quote
Young offensive skill guys, a capable QB, productive talent along the D-line with some patches that need filled at LB and DB positions. All in all, I definitely see this as much more of a "quick rebound" than a full, or even mild, rebuild. The issue (outside of the coaching) is the O-line. Need to solidify the LT position once Whit decides to hang 'em up, and our young "hopefully a future cornerstone" of a RT has been disastrous so far in his first full season as a starter in the NFL. And obviously our center position....well...let's just say we need a new one.

I fully believe that with the right HC (offensive minded) and an efficient, experienced staff, this team can go as far they want.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2016, 06:25 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I could easily see this team contending next year.  When you have the players they do the turn-around could be immediate.

Bring a new HC, some new staff. By doing so, insert some energy into the building. Change the culture. Make guys have to earn their roles in the new system.

Land one or two impact players in the draft, and spend to cap. Bring in a couple decent vets. Boom, you got yourself a threat to contend.

I still don't think that there's any one team that, without a doubt, has a better roster than we do right now. Which makes the results all the more maddening.

Puff puff pass brother. 
Reply/Quote
I agree for the most part Shake. A different O-line coach could go a long way in improving the guys already on the roster. Those draft picks were rated high by more than just the Bengal's staff so the talent is probably there,somewhere.

Dude! Do we ever need some athletic lbs. Couldn't agree more. Williams to OLB is intriguing?

We need a ball hawking center fielder type S to compliment the two thumpers.

Bring in TC or BB to kick some butt and go from there. Another athletic wr and rb would be nice.

Obviously the C position could use an upgrade.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2016, 10:40 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: I agree for the most part Shake. A different O-line coach could go a long way in improving the guys already on the roster. Those draft picks were rated high by more than just the Bengal's staff so the talent is probably there,somewhere.

Dude! Do we ever need some athletic lbs. Couldn't agree more. Williams to OLB is intriguing?

We need a ball hawking center fielder type S to compliment the two thumpers.

Bring in TC or BB to kick some butt and go from there. Another athletic wr and rb would be nice.

Obviously the C position could use an upgrade.

we've really been looking for a Center since ritchie braham. if that doesn't blow your mind then you need to know who his tackles were while ole ritchie was still here.
Reply/Quote
It should be a quick rebound. We will have a boatload of draft picks. A lot of veterans are coming off the books and we dont have a lot of priority free agents, so we should have some spending money.

Hit on some draft picks and bring in a couple slightly above average free agents. We are turning over roughly 1/5 of the roster. Good coaching puts us right back in the mix.
Reply/Quote
It does still feel like the team is just a few moves away from being much more successful. Heck, we're one competent RT and kicker away from being at least 6-5 instead of 3-7-1. I don't think you need to blow everything up, but that does not mean the coaches should be safe. You need to take a tough look at what went wrong this year. At the very, very least a positional coach MUST be held accountable. I'd usually say 'Fire a coordinator' but there is the argument that Zampese has only had a year to try to do his thing and Guenther's unit is doing better recently. That said, I'd still take a close look at them and at least consider it. Call it a 30% chance that I'd *just* (see below) fire a coord, depending on what I'm seeing in review. And the head coach shouldn't be safe, even though we know the FO won't fire him. I don't hate Marvin, but maybe his fire has gone out and it is time to move on. And I totally believe he could bring us back to 10 wins next year but as we all know, that simply doesn't matter if you don't have enough juice to win a playoff. So if I didn't fire coordinator, I'd say I'd quietly look at head coaching options towards the end of the year and if I found a few I really liked I'd go ahead and terminate Marvin's contract and start interviewing. And then I'd let the new HC make decisions about who he wanted to keep as far a coordinators -- so even if Zampese and Guenther survived the above, they could still lose their job if the head coach changed. Or maybe one or both of them would be kept either temporarily or longer.

I realize changing head coaches is scary, but isn't there a coordinator on a successful team we could take to be our head coach? Goodness knows we've had it happen to us enough times. And remember, coaching turnover sometimes brings talented players. When we got Zimmer, we didn't just get a DC, we got two CBs, a Safety, and a DT (the latter two didn't stick very long -- Tank Johnson and Roy Williams).

So I guess what I'm saying is I'm open to coaching turnover and, even though my inclination isn't to blow it all up, if you get a new HC it may happen a bit anyways. That said, my final thought is this. Marvin Lewis = John Cooper. I like John Cooper. He's a good guy, and won a lot of games over a lot of years and I respect him. But he had to go so the Buckeyes could have Jim Tressel and win a national championship. I'm ready for the Bengals to go get their Jim Tressel (or even better, their Urban Meyer).

Reply/Quote
Blow it up.

Wrecking ball.

Total demolition.

Keep Andy Dalton, AJ Green, Tyler Boyd, AJ McCarron, Vontaze Burfict, Giovani Bernard, William Jackson III, Tyler Eifert, Geno Atkins, Margus Hunt, Carlos Dunlap, and George Iloka...

...and start the BLEEP over: New coaches, new players, new playbook, new everything. As currently composed, the Cincinnati Bengals' ceiling is a wild card appearance with a one-and-done in the playoffs.
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2016, 10:26 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Blow it up.

Wrecking ball.

Total demolition.

Keep Andy Dalton, AJ Green, Tyler Boyd, AJ McCarron, Vontaze Burfict, Giovani Bernard, William Jackson III, Tyler Eifert, Geno Atkins, Margus Hunt, Carlos Dunlap, and George Iloka...

...and start the BLEEP over:  New coaches, new players, new playbook, new everything.  As currently composed, the Cincinnati Bengals' ceiling is a wild card appearance with a one-and-done in the playoffs.

Very curious that you included Hunt in your list of must keeps.  Why?
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2016, 10:43 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: Very curious that you included Hunt in your list of must keeps.  Why?

Margus Hunt is an athletic freak who is still relatively new to football.  He just needs some proper coaching and he could be an enforcer beast at defensive tackle alongside Geno Atkins.  Hunt was improperly placed at defensive end from the get-go.  Also, he needs coached to block more field goals because to this point the Bengals have been relying on his raw talent to do this.
Reply/Quote
Yes, one and done playoff status can be regained as quickly as next season by this group. A serious run at a Lombardi is going to require major changes at both coaching and player level.
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2016, 10:52 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Margus Hunt is an athletic freak who is still relatively new to football.  He just needs some proper coaching and he could be an enforcer beast at defensive tackle alongside Geno Atkins.  Hunt was improperly placed at defensive end from the get-go.  Also, he needs coached to block more field goals because to this point the Bengals have been relying on his raw talent to do this.

I look at Hunt as a blot on the resume of this organization.  He is relatively new to football, but will also be 30 years old by the time the next NFL season starts. Four years and the guy has 14 tackles and 1.5 sacks.  I personally think it is a shame that he's taking up a roster spot this year, let alone signing him to a new contract.
Reply/Quote
My answer depends on what we're really talking about here. Rebounding to a regular season success, but postseason joke, or taking the next step.

If just rebounding, I think we only need a few things to break our way to get back to being in contention. Mr. Glass to stay healthy for an entire season, a new C and new RT, Billings and WJ3 to be able to contribute next season, at least 1 athletic sideline to sideline LB. It seems like a lot, but I think those pieces could get us right back in the hunt in the short term.

If we want to actually have a chance to win a SB, the entire coaching staff needs to be gone, yes that includes Paul Alexander. A rebuilt offensive line. An almost completely rebuilt defensive line. Rebuilt LB corps (I mean ALL new). No Pacman.

As for everyone's talk about deep threat. I would really like to see Cody Core get an opportunity. Maybe he has it, maybe he doesn't. I'd rather give him the opportunity than potentially miss out on talent because we buried him on the depth chart.
Reply/Quote