Poll: How many nostrils do you hold closed while blowing your nose?
This poll is closed.
One!
64.29%
9 64.29%
None!
35.71%
5 35.71%
Total 14 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blowing your nose.
So I got into this debate with my wife this morning. Our 5 year old asked how to blow his nose - been trying to teach him for a while.
I tell him to hold one nostril closed and blow through his nose.
My WIFE says he doesn't have to hold a nostril, that he can keep them both open.

Folks, IMO there is a right way and a wrong way.

The way to go on this matter IS to hold 1 nostril closed. Am I right?

Posting a poll.
Do you hold 1 nostril at a time closed or just let it fly without holding either?
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2017, 11:39 AM)GreenDragon Wrote: So I got into this debate with my wife this morning. Our 5 year old asked how to blow his nose - been trying to teach him for a while.
I tell him to hold one nostril closed and blow through his nose.
My WIFE says he doesn't have to hold a nostril, that he can keep them both open.

Folks, IMO there is a right way and a wrong way.

The way to go on this matter IS to hold 1 nostril closed. Am I right?

Posting a poll.
Do you hold 1 nostril at a time closed or just let it fly without holding either?

when trying to clear out the 1 nostril method works best for me....   
Reply/Quote
I think Ive had enough internet for the day.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
one side closed
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I prefer picking
[Image: tumblr_ohmzy7WynD1s05wxzo1_400.gif]
Reply/Quote
Both open. Closing one nostril increases the chance of busting a blood vessell in your nostril which could cause a nose bleed that can last for days if not cauterized. Been there done that. However, most articles will advise to close one nostril and blow GENTLY. I guess Gently is not something I see as a nasal canal cleaner. So technically, you are correct according to the internets. Dr. Dog.

Reply/Quote
do you make a loud honking noise when blowing your nose or do you do a soft gentle breeze thru?

I try to make as much noise as possible when blowing my nose.  wake up the dead!  same thing when sneezing too.  the louder, the better.
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
Old Zims says...

[Image: boogblast.0.gif]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I had sinus problems as a kid. I specifically remember the doctor telling me to avoid closing one nostril and blow both together. Been doing it that way ever since.
Reply/Quote
I let it dry up and proceed with the pick & flick.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(09-27-2017, 07:24 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Both open. Closing one nostril increases the chance of busting a blood vessell in your nostril which could cause a nose bleed that can last for days if not cauterized. Been there done that. However, most articles will advise to close one nostril and blow GENTLY. I guess Gently is not something I see as a nasal canal cleaner. So technically, you are correct according to the internets. Dr. Dog.

Cripes! Thanks for giving me yet one more thing to worry about.

(09-28-2017, 11:48 AM)Interceptor Wrote: I let it dry up and proceed with the pick & flick.

Never a bad choice.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2017, 10:27 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: Cripes! Thanks for giving me yet one more thing to worry about.

Never a bad choice.

Dude. Not shitting you. When you blow a vessel in your nose, try sleeping without waking up coughing blood. It was horrible. Everyday at work, I stuck toilet paper in my nose and hocked blood into a cup all day. It's not pretty to others and nothing less than horrible for your life.

Reply/Quote
I've always had sinus problems and I mostly use the one nostril "snot rocket" method, combined with some picking and flicking if they're dried up.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
As long as you don't eat it after it cools off either method works.. And NEVER eat another person's booger. It's bad form.  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote