Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Bob Costas' Halfway House/Kaepernick interview
(07-24-2017, 02:05 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Distractions have a huge impact on football.  Kaepernick would be a huge distraction.  It's not just the kneeling during the anthem, he's contributed to being a distraction in other ways, like wearing socks depicting police officers as pigs and making anti-LEO statements.  Also, not all the distractions will come from detractors, Kaepernick's defenders will be out in full force and volume as well.  Others have made this point, Kaepernick thinks he's a starter and deserves starter money.  If this were not the case then he'd be on Seattle's roster right now.  Kaepernick is too inconsistent to be a viable long term starter.  You add all these issues up and you get someone who is going to watch next season on a couch.

Sign a prove contract and prove it, otherwise shut up (Kaepernick not you).

Agreed (although I would differ on his consistency... it's easier to look consistent when your team is at least mediocre), and I think that's the biggest part of it.

I don't think it's political or some big conspiracy. It seems like it's more about the off-field and what you mention in bold are concerns. And I don't fault a team owner/GM concerned about bringing in a guy who is going to disrupt the flow. It's a lot different than the Vick situation, but it was unlikely (even in today's climate) that another teammate would get asked "So, has Vick tried to kill your dog?" But I could see a reporter asking "Has Kaepernick tried to liberalism the locker room?"
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(07-24-2017, 01:07 PM)Benton Wrote: SF stinks and he still managed a 90ish passer rating and few INTs. If a team is willing to sign Fitzpatrick — who essentially handed the ball to anyone who got within arm's reach last season — they should be willing to sign Kaepernick.

Unless, as some media outlets are questioning, it's got nothing to do with football.

Colin Kaepernick has only averaged over 200 passing yards a game ONCE, and it was 210.6 yards/game.
Colin Kapernick has only surpassed 20 TDs in a season ONCE, and it was 21 TDs.

QB Rating isn't the end-all-be-all of metrics. He was also 1-10 as a starter last year and went into halftime losing 10 of those games.
Blaine Gabbert was 1-4 as a starter on the same team last year and went into halftime losing 1 of those games.

Kaepernick was only a winner when he had the league's best defense and one of the better rushing games supporting him. Teams in that situation can find a QB to be a game manager who won't

Fitzpatrick doesn't bring a media circus with him, wearing pig cop socks while police are being ambushed in the streets, and wearing/praising Castro, while losing muscle mass due to a vegan diet he switched over to.

It's a pretty good mixture of performance/distraction, which will make you unemployed.

(07-24-2017, 02:52 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Correct. And I have no problem with that type of thinking.

But, I'm still going to call out teams signing these worse players and they try to make it about his play. Based on play alone, he should be in the league and could at least compete for a starting QB position on a few teams.

Also, Tebow was never good. Sure, fun to watch and should have been given a legit chance after 1 year. That's a small sample size. Kaepernick has started 5 different seasons and has made the NFC Championship game twice, winning one of them.

But I do understand where you're coming from. I do believe Tebow and Kaepernick should both have been given chances.

Greg Hardy? Not at all. Granted, great player, but terrible human being.

Tebow won a postseason game, too.

Kaepernick has played in 21 games/19 starts since Harbaugh stopped being his coach.
59.1% completion
3856 yards (183.6 yards/game)
22 TD/9 INT
6.7 yards/attempt

That's not starting QB numbers, and nobody is going to bring in a backup QB who will be a distraction.

Honestly, I see Kaepernick as just another Mark Sanchez. Both came in to loaded teams that were winning with or without them, both had postseason success due to those teams early in their career (Sanchez went to TWO AFC title games). Both were hyped up to be big time franchise QBs (The Sanchize). Both failed at that and teams realized they can't carry a team. (Sanchez had an 88.4 QB Rating in Philly)

The only difference is at that point Sanchez stayed fairly quiet and started getting jobs as a backup, while Kaepernick went loud and now can't get a backup job.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
(07-24-2017, 03:49 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote:  

QB Rating isn't the end-all-be-all of metrics. He was also 1-10 as a starter last year and went into halftime losing 10 of those games.
Blaine Gabbert was 1-4 as a starter on the same team last year and went into halftime losing 1 of those games.

1-10 or 1-4. Same team, same futility. 

Would he be better on a different team? Who cares, SF stinks.
(07-24-2017, 04:53 PM)Benton Wrote: 1-10 or 1-4. Same team, same futility. 

Would he be better on a different team? Who cares, SF stinks.

Exactly, so if they both can't win, take the one who won't be a distraction. Lol

- - - - - - - - - -
Also... never go full Vegan as an NFL player. That will ruin you. Arian Foster did it and his career was just an endless streak of slow to recover pulls and tweaks. Tony Gonzalez tried to do it and lost too much weight.

This is before his protest even started:
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/colin-kaepernick-is-looking-surprisingly-skinny-these-days/
http://now100fm.cbslocal.com/2016/04/25/colin-kaepernick-lost-a-lot-of-weight-before-and-after-pics/

This is from before the season started, but after preseason started:
http://www.businessinsider.com/colin-kaepernick-lost-weight-becoming-an-issue-2016-8

(07-24-2017, 12:36 PM)Goalpost Wrote: Companies have a right to their own image.  I have a magnet on my car, wear a badge, etc.  I cant drive to a stage and give a political speech attached that way.  My company would say do it, but without their name on me.  I realize his kneeling takes place when a song is played, but at that point he is in uniform.

Yup, that is something that I find rather interesting with the whole NFL.  Players who are known to be on teams and/or have pics of themselves on their social media accounts make social/political/and religious statements all the time.  It does come down to what is "acceptable" and what isn't, though.

There is a double standard in the NFL, but it's mostly about good players being allowed to be more of a headache that average or bad ones.  Such is life.

As for this specific case, Kaepernick is the face of this movement now. There are other players who kneel like he does and there are players who are openly and covertly "on his side" but you don't hear about them. I don't know for sure, but I'd find it hard to believe there isn't a single Bengals player who doesn't think Kaepernick did the "right thing" so meh. It's a game played by human beings and this is the way it goes.
(07-24-2017, 07:24 PM)Nately120 Wrote: There is a double standard in the NFL, but it's mostly about good players being allowed to be more of a headache that average or bad ones.  Such is life.

I don't disagree with you, but this is not confined to the NFL.  This exists in every job in the private sector.  The guy/girl who crushes their job gets way more leeway than Joe/Jill Average.
(07-25-2017, 01:12 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I don't disagree with you, but this is not confined to the NFL.  This exists in every job in the private sector.  The guy/girl who crushes their job gets way more leeway than Joe/Jill Average.

True but there is also the bias where Aaron Rodgers gets commercials made for his celebrations and Cam Newton gets concerned mothers writing letters for his. 
(07-25-2017, 05:43 AM)Nately120 Wrote: True but there is also the bias where Aaron Rodgers gets commercials made for his celebrations and Cam Newton gets concerned mothers writing letters for his. 

Aaron Rodgers does one stupid two second belt movement.

Cam Newton does a minute long dance, occasionally in the face of an opposing player, starting a fight.

Yeah, that seems equal. Lol.... Even if they WERE equal celebrations, we go back to the previous point that Aaron Rodgers won a SB and is one of the better QBs in NFL history. Cam Newton has 0 SBs and ran away from his fumble.

(07-24-2017, 03:49 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Tebow won a postseason game, too.

Kaepernick has played in 21 games/19 starts since Harbaugh stopped being his coach.
59.1% completion
3856 yards (183.6 yards/game)
22 TD/9 INT
6.7 yards/attempt

That's not starting QB numbers, and nobody is going to bring in a backup QB who will be a distraction.

Honestly, I see Kaepernick as just another Mark Sanchez. Both came in to loaded teams that were winning with or without them, both had postseason success due to those teams early in their career (Sanchez went to TWO AFC title games). Both were hyped up to be big time franchise QBs (The Sanchize). Both failed at that and teams realized they can't carry a team. (Sanchez had an 88.4 QB Rating in Philly)

The only difference is at that point Sanchez stayed fairly quiet and started getting jobs as a backup, while Kaepernick went loud and now can't get a backup job.

Kaepernick has won 4 post season games, made it to the Super Bowl, and was literally one play away from winning one.

4 of Kaepernicks 5 years as a starter, he's had a QB rating of 86 or higher. 3 of those seasons he had a QB rating of 90 or higher.

In all 4 years as a starter in New York, Mark Sanchez never had a QB rating above 78.2. And he had below 70 QB ratings two times.

Ummm, what? Sanchez never won them any games lol.
Kaepernick has actually taken over games. Like he did in his first ever playoff game.
His 2nd playoff game, they were down 14-24 by half-time. Led them to a 4th quarter comeback.
He's had two 4th quarter comebacks/game winning drives in the playoffs.

Also, anyone can tell you that Kaepernick offered so much more than Sanchez.

How did Kaepernick fail at that exactly? Based off of 2 years? Players are going to have down years sometimes. It happens.

Look at Dalton with his 19:17 TD to INT ratio in 2014. Or how last year he couldn't eclipse 20 TDs with a "loaded" offense.
Did he have low interceptions last year? Absolutely.
Guess who else did? Kaepernick.

Injuries? Sure.
But even with injuries, the Bengals offense had so much more than the 49ers offense.

The reason why Kaepernick isn't getting a shot is because of his stances. That's all there is to it.

Based on play alone, Kaepernick would have been given another shot in the NFL.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
(07-25-2017, 04:16 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Kaepernick has won 4 post season games, made it to the Super Bowl, and was literally one play away from winning one.

4 of Kaepernicks 5 years as a starter, he's had a QB rating of 86 or higher. 3 of those seasons he had a QB rating of 90 or higher.

In all 4 years as a starter in New York, Mark Sanchez never had a QB rating above 78.2. And he had below 70 QB ratings two times.

Ummm, what? Sanchez never won them any games lol.
Kaepernick has actually taken over games. Like he did in his first ever playoff game.
His 2nd playoff game, they were down 14-24 by half-time. Led them to a 4th quarter comeback.
He's had two 4th quarter comebacks/game winning drives in the playoffs.

The reason why Kaepernick isn't getting a shot is because of his stances. That's all there is to it.

Based on play alone, Kaepernick would have been given another shot in the NFL.

Kaepernick Postseason Career:
4-2 Record
7 TD/5 INT
87.3 QB Rating

Sanchez Postseason Career:
4-2 Record
9 TD/3 INT
94.3 QB Rating

Both of them had great defenses behind them, both had good running games behind them. The difference is the players around them on offense...

Kapernick 2012:
Frank Gore
Randy Moss
Vernon Davis
Michael Crabtree
Delanie Walker

Sanchez 2009:
Shonn Greene
Braylon Edwards
Jerricho Crotchery
Dustin Keller
Brad Smith

...and the fact that Kaepernick was a running threat.

Remember that the 49ers team that Kaepernick "took" to the SB went 13-3 the year before with Alex Smith, and made it to the NFC Championship game. Then it went 6-2-1 with Alex Smith in 2012 before Kaepernick took over and went 5-2 for the rest of the season. That was simply just a really good team.
- - - - - - - - - - -- - - -

Saying "that's all there is to it" doesn't make it more true.

Based on play alone, agree he would have been given another shot, likely as a backup. That said, I don't see why you think it HAS to be one or the other, as if both couldn't be a factor.

(07-25-2017, 02:33 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Aaron Rodgers does one stupid two second belt movement.

Cam Newton does a minute long dance, occasionally in the face of an opposing player, starting a fight.

Yeah, that seems equal. Lol.... Even if they WERE equal celebrations, we go back to the previous point that Aaron Rodgers won a SB and is one of the better QBs in NFL history. Cam Newton has 0 SBs and ran away from his fumble.

I'm pretty sure Rodgers started doing his during his first season as a starter while going 6-10.  I know for a fact he started doing it prior to winning the SB, though.  You are free to disagree with me, but I doubt that lady from Tennessee wrote that letter because Cam Newton hadn't won enough to assault her eyes with his braggadocio! 

(07-25-2017, 01:12 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I don't disagree with you, but this is not confined to the NFL.  This exists in every job in the private sector.  The guy/girl who crushes their job gets way more leeway than Joe/Jill Average.

True.  I once worked in sales and the better I got, the more lunch beers they would put up with me having. 
(07-25-2017, 04:45 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm pretty sure Rodgers started doing his during his first season as a starter while going 6-10.  I know for a fact he started doing it prior to winning the SB, though.  You are free to disagree with me, but I doubt that lady from Tennessee wrote that letter because Cam Newton hadn't won enough to assault her eyes with his braggadocio! 

I never said he didn't start doing it before winning the SB. The SB was a separate point, harking back to earlier in the thread where we said winners and all-time greats get away with more things.

Look at all those ladies from Tennessee in Saints uniforms:
[Image: camt-0.gif?w=500&h=276]

Oh look, more ladies from Tennessee in Titans uniforms:

Please show me an equivalent example of Aaron Rodgers.

(07-25-2017, 04:54 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I never said he didn't start doing it before winning the SB. The SB was a separate point, harking back to earlier in the thread where we said winners and all-time greats get away with more things.

Look at all those ladies from Tennessee in Saints uniforms:
[Image: camt-0.gif?w=500&h=276]

Oh look, more ladies from Tennessee in Titans uniforms:

Please show me an equivalent example of Aaron Rodgers.

So you are saying he celebrates the wrong way?  Meh, I'm a big fan of the mindset of stop the guy from scoring if you don't want him rubbing it in your face.  Yes, Cam Newton is a d-bag but I do have to wonder if anyone has pushed Rodgers from behind during his belt move.

I will say the dancing celebrations annoy me because they are overly long and clearly premeditated, but so is the Lambeau leap so meh.  
(07-25-2017, 04:59 PM)Nately120 Wrote: So you are saying he celebrates the wrong way?  Meh, I'm a big fan of the mindset of stop the guy from scoring if you don't want him rubbing it in your face.  Yes, Cam Newton is a d-bag but I do have to wonder if anyone has pushed Rodgers from behind during his belt move.

I will say the dancing celebrations annoy me because they are overly long and clearly premeditated, but so is the Lambeau leap so meh.  

I'm saying his celebrations don't rub only women from Tennessee the wrong way. A lot of NFL players obviously don't like it either.

I'm a big fan of the mindset that you shouldn't rub shit in people's faces just because you know you're protected from getting any kind of retaliation for it, because that makes you a little B. If the NFL was a sport like the NHL where people could throw down over things, it'd be a different matter. I can't recall anyone else in any sport who were having celebratory photo shoots on the sideline DURING a game.

No idea of Rodgers, but I haven't ever seen it, and can't recall any, whereas I knew a couple examples right off the top of my head for Newton.

You're comparing a traditional leap with a minute long dance in someone's face.

(07-25-2017, 05:17 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I'm saying his celebrations don't rub only women from Tennessee the wrong way. A lot of NFL players obviously don't like it either.

I'm a big fan of the mindset that you shouldn't rub shit in people's faces just because you know you're protected from getting any kind of retaliation for it, because that makes you a little B. If the NFL was a sport like the NHL where people could throw down over things, it'd be a different matter. I can't recall anyone else in any sport who were having celebratory photo shoots on the sideline DURING a game.

No idea of Rodgers, but I haven't ever seen it, and can't recall any, whereas I knew a couple examples right off the top of my head for Newton.

You're comparing a traditional leap with a minute long dance in someone's face.

Hey, no denying you make good points and that Cam Newton is a d-bag.  I'm just a little more convinced people are more comfortable seeing a "confident" white guy than a black one is all.
(07-25-2017, 05:20 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Hey, no denying you make good points and that Cam Newton is a d-bag.  I'm just a little more convinced people are more comfortable seeing a "confident" white guy than a black one is all.

See, now you're reverting to the race card, which is just lazy. If a white guy did the exact same dances in the faces of opposing players, causing fights, he would be given the exact same amount of shit.

Imagine Ben Roethlisberger doing a 45 second dab session in people's faces after he scored a TD... EVERY TIME he scored a TD. If that doesn't start up a fiery in the pit of hatred your stomach, nothing will.

(07-25-2017, 05:30 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: See, now you're reverting to the race card, which is just lazy. If a white guy did the exact same dances in the faces of opposing players, causing fights, he would be given the exact same amount of shit.

Imagine Ben Roethlisberger doing a 45 second dab session in people's faces after he scored a TD... EVERY TIME he scored a TD. If that doesn't start up a fiery in the pit of hatred your stomach, nothing will.

I remember fondly Ben jumping up and down post-TD on that Raiders player and that Raiders player decking him for it.  What a fine moment that was.
(07-25-2017, 05:35 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I remember fondly Ben jumping up and down post-TD on that Raiders player and that Raiders player decking him for it.  What a fine moment that was.

And went down in the fetal position like the big turd he is. Bet you he never did that shit again. The problem is that was 7 years ago. Nowadays, someone lands that clean of a hit on someone in the NFL and they're talking murder charges. Just remember how they talked about Burfict's shoulder hitting Antonio Brown... like he'd shot the guy and should be banned from the NFL and put in jail.

(07-25-2017, 05:43 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: And went down in the fetal position like the big turd he is. Bet you he never did that shit again. The problem is that was 7 years ago. Nowadays, someone lands that clean of a hit on someone in the NFL and they're talking murder charges. Just remember how they talked about Burfict's shoulder hitting Antonio Brown... like he'd shot the guy and should be banned from the NFL and put in jail.

We Steelers fans warned you against Goodell taking the league in that direction, repeatedly.  You guys didn't listen back then because you were too busy complaining about the Steelers hitting too hard. Tongue
(07-25-2017, 05:35 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I remember fondly Ben jumping up and down post-TD on that Raiders player and that Raiders player decking him for it.  What a fine moment that was.

You are reaching really really bad here, not to mention turning this topic into something that belongs in smack.

Kap is a d-bag and I'm glad he's unemployed.

There, back on track.