Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bob Dole--RIP
Back in the day when all Republicans were RINOS and "neither side" did it, Dole was an exemplar of "good faith" politics, working with the other side, compromise.

Bob Dole, longtime public servant and WWII veteran, dies
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/bob-dole-longtime-public-servant-wwii-veteran-dies/story?id=11075516

Former U.S. Sen. Bob Dole, who will be remembered for the tenacity that defined his career and his work on behalf of fellow military veterans, died in his sleep Sunday morning. He was 98.

In his memoir, "One Soldier's Story," Dole wrote that his experiences in World War II defined his life.

"Adversity can be a harsh teacher," he wrote. "But its lessons often define our lives. As much as we may wish that we could go back and relive them, do things differently, make better, wiser decisions, we can't change history. War is like that. You can rewrite it, attempt to infuse it with your own personal opinions, twist or spin it to make it more palatable, but eventually the truth will come out."

As an Army officer in World War II, he was wounded and there were doubts he'd survive. His right arm was permanently disabled, but he adapted.

"If unable to reach voters with my right hand, I could always reach out with my left," he wrote in "The Doles: Unlimited Partners," a book he co-authored with his wife, Elizabeth, and Richard Norton Smith.

He went on to graduate from college, and, while still in law school, won a seat in the Kansas state legislature. He won a seat in Congress in 1960 and went on to serve in the House until he was elected to the Senate in 1968.

Dole ran three times for president. He lost in primaries in 1980 to Ronald Reagan and in 1988 to George H.W. Bush. He won the Republican party nomination in 1996, but lost the general election to Bill Clinton.

"Those pivotal moments remain indelibly impressed in your heart and mind," he wrote in "One Soldier's Story." "For me, the defining period in my life w
as not running for the highest office in the land. It started years earlier, in a foreign country, where hardly anyone knew my name."
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
RIP Bob Dole... Men like him are getting fewer & fewer.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote