Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bob McGinn evaluations of our drafted players
(05-01-2020, 09:32 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: He is in good company:

Tom Brady: 9.3
Patrick Mahommes 9.2
Jard Goff 9

Joe Burrow 9

I know you were just making fun of it, but I think God had to let Baker Mayfield beat Burrow in at least one catagory:  9.5"

That tweet Mahomes sent to Burrow about hand size was great.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(05-01-2020, 09:39 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: With you 100%.  Going in to next year, they will have at least one of Ross/Green extended.  The CB position will probably be the greatest need, but hopefully WJIII gets extended after playing a great season and they try to extend Alexander.  Maybe the kid from Dartmouth shows or maybe Phillips wrestles away the outside job? 

Hoping that the scheme, the mobility of Burrow, and the improvements at RT and RG end up stabilizing the offensive line, you can never have too much depth in the trenches.  Defensive end/EDGE will certainly be looked at very closely.  

With Burrow on a rookie deal, there will also be the possibility of other FAs.  

My only knock on the draft this year was wishing for a do-all safety like Dugger....of course, he went to the Pats.  I haven't even looked, but hopefully that position group is loaded next year.  

I won't lie, I somehow forgot about Phillips amid all of the recent talent acquisition action.  He was one of the few bright spots at the end of the year.  He really hasn't had a ton of game action to develop, so his ceiling may be higher than we expect.

With Jackson, Waynes, and Alexander in front of him, he may have some trouble getting a lot of snaps.  Maybe another healthy year as a backup will give him the chance to develop into a player they could trust as a starter come 2021.  That would be some serious found money if it worked out that way.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2020, 05:21 PM)samhain Wrote: I won't lie, I somehow forgot about Phillips amid all of the recent talent acquisition action.  He was one of the few bright spots at the end of the year.  He really hasn't had a ton of game action to develop, so his ceiling may be higher than we expect.

With Jackson, Waynes, and Alexander in front of him, he may have some trouble getting a lot of snaps.  Maybe another healthy year as a backup will give him the chance to develop into a player they could trust as a starter come 2021.  That would be some serious found money if it worked out that way.

Phillips graded very well down the stretch, and it wasn't like he was getting amazing pass rush up front.  He had 4 picks in just 8 games.  He also was RIGHT there on a TD by OBJ.   I think he will be the backup plan to WJIII if he doesn't have a significant return to form this year.  
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2020, 10:12 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Phillips graded very well down the stretch, and it wasn't like he was getting amazing pass rush up front.  He had 4 picks in just 8 games.  He also was RIGHT there on a TD by OBJ.   I think he will be the backup plan to WJIII if he doesn't have a significant return to form this year.  

Darius Phillips is EXTREMELY talented. He has a knack for being around the ball and has great hands and great return skills.

He holds a lot of records in college for Defensive and return TD's. This is a guy we should really watch grow into a player.

Think this guy just might be my come out of nowhere pick this year to breakout.
Reply/Quote
Can't disagree on Phillips. Dude has talent.

I think we all maybe sleeping on the guy from the CFL (Rose). Watched some of his tape and this guy may get turned around a time or 3 but he's freaky fast and is always around the ball.

Just sayin'...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
(04-29-2020, 10:54 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: I guess it doesn’t matter. 10 is considered illiterate though, just saying. I did just look it up and Vince Young scored a 6 while Fitz scored a 48. I guess that I was just thinking of ability to learn but I’m probably making more of it than what it is.

I think what it measures is how well your mind works under stress.  How well do you remember the things you do know and how well do you figure out what you don't know when you're under the gun?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(05-04-2020, 07:27 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Darius Phillips is EXTREMELY talented. He has a knack for being around the ball and has great hands and great return skills.

He holds a lot of records in college for Defensive and return TD's. This is a guy we should really watch grow into a player.

Think this guy just might be my come out of nowhere pick this year to breakout.

It seems kind of odd that they gave Waynes all that money and didn't talk that much about Phillips.  I am hoping he gets a chance to start.  I don't know why CB would be any different than any other position in that regard.  
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2020, 09:42 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: It seems kind of odd that they gave Waynes all that money and didn't talk that much about Phillips.  I am hoping he gets a chance to start.  I don't know why CB would be any different than any other position in that regard.  

Phillips is still really raw which I am guessing is why they have not been talking much about him.

We needed a vet to let Phillips gradually make his growth into a starter on the outside.

Waynes was a good call for this, he can help Phillips in the tackling department unlike Kirkpatrick.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2020, 09:20 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Phillips is still really raw which I am guessing is why they have not been talking much about him.

We needed a vet to let Phillips gradually make his growth into a starter on the outside.

Waynes was a good call for this, he can help Phillips in the tackling department unlike Kirkpatrick.

Tackling was always one of his biggest strengths.  He is a tough SOB.  I know it was only preseason, but we saw signs of his potential last year:

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2019/9/2/20841779/nfl-news-bengals-darius-phillips-given-superlative-marks-by-pff

Could it be that he isn't being given playing time to keep his costs down?  He should be up for a new contract in 2021.  
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2020, 10:24 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Tackling was always one of his biggest strengths.  He is a tough SOB.  I know it was only preseason, but we saw signs of his potential last year:

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2019/9/2/20841779/nfl-news-bengals-darius-phillips-given-superlative-marks-by-pff

Could it be that he isn't being given playing time to keep his costs down?  He should be up for a new contract in 2021.  

That kind of surprised me as Phillips is a ballhawk and such a playmaker when he gets his hands on the ball.

Sounds like he could be a very well rounded Corner for us. I wouldn't let this steal go if it was me. If Will Jax doesn't improve
they might want to move on from him instead and re-sign Mackenzie Alexander to a long term deal for the Slot.
Reply/Quote