Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bob's First Mock
Free Agency :

Sign

Andrew Whitsworth – 2 / 17 mil – Not much of a choice, we having nothing at OT but two disappointing draft picks. I doubt they draft an OT early this year as I think they will want to give Ced or Fisher more time. 

Dre Kirk - Franchise Tag - Keep him one more year, see if any of the youngs guys step up. If they don't then sign him next offseason.

Eric Winston - Servicable Olineman that is versatile enough to play multiple spots.

Kenny Stills WR – 8-9 mil a year - Similar numbers to Marvin Jones in his contract year and the Bengals were willing to give this kind of money to him last year and have always shown a willingness to sign WRs in free agency. Solves our problems at WR and gives us a legit deep threat similar to Marvin Jones in 2015.

Don't Sign

Kevin Zeitler - Gonna get 10 Mil a year most likely and while he has been great I think the team might shy away from investing that much in OG. It took them years to take an OG early and I doubt we pay that much for Zeitler. I'll be honest I just wanted to do a draft where we don't get one of Zeitler or Kirk back, next one will be without Kirk.

Karlos Dansby - Move on, didn't look great this year.

Brandon Lafell - Was solid but we replace him with Kenny Stills in FA.

Domato Peko - Time to move on. If Billings looks to be healing like he's supposed to then you move on with him and a draft pick.

Rex Burkhead - Draft pick replaces our need for him.

Draft

1. Leonord Fournette RB LSU – While he had his struggles this season and didn't put up the numbers he did in 2015 he did average the same YPC with 6.5. Also if he had gotten the number of carries this year that he did last he would have ended up with about the same numbers. This is the difference maker that this team needs on Offense. You replace Jeremy Hill with Fournette, Boyd with another year under his belt and find another speedy WR and you can come out flying next year.

[Image: leonard-fournette-trucked-texas-am-defender.gif?w=1000]

2. Taco Charlton DE Michigan - Charlton has the size we look for in a DE as well as the athletic ability to be a good player on this dline. I think if he is here its an easy pick for the coaches, if not we can probably grab a Walker or Harris type but they are a bit undersized for what the Bengals like. 

[Image: 454419860-taco-charlton-of-the-michigan-...SCyo8YyPsB]

3. Anthony Walker Jr. LB Northwestern - Decent size at 6'1 235 Walker is an absolute tackling machine and has shown the ability to play well in coverage. From watching a couple of his games he stuck with RBs pretty well and a couple times was running stride for stride with McCaffrey down the field as well as playing quite a bit of coverage against Wisconsin and holding up well. This is the type of LB that we need on this team right now, good athlete, solid coverage, great tackler and runs sideline to sideline to make plays on the ball carrier. Had a bit of a down year this year going down from 120 tackles and 19 TFL to 105 tackles and 10 TFL but had more Pass Deflections(5)  as well as more Forced Fumbles(4). 

[Image: 6_4086088.jpg]

4. Isaac Asiata OG Utah - Big guy at 6'3 323 Asiata but he has shown he is more than capable in pass protection, run blocking as well as being able to pull and get blocks in space. With Zeitler leaving this leaves us with wholes at OG and I think Asisata will battle out for the position with Trey Hopkins who got some playing time this season.

[Image: TUYTsrl.jpg?1]

4. Montravius Adams DT Auburn -  Another penetrator at DT to play behind Geno Atkins. Doesn't do well anchoring the LOS but used as a penetrating DT he can be a contributor early in his career. High ceiling guy.

[Image: montraviusadamssmall.jpeg]

4. Eddie Jackson S/CB Alabama -  Playmaker we need at FS beside Iloka. Jackson had a season ending injury which is why he is still around at this point but the guy is a playmaker at Safety. Also has 2 years experience at CB before making the transition to S. Not the best tackler but more than makes up for it with his coverage and playmaking abilities, also has experience in the return game.

[Image: hi-res-c5e07da6f611aa46f2036a13f6dd4bf1_...h=420&q=75]

5. Jon Toth C Kentucky - This is the kind of Center that we can take without hurting Bodines feelings. Versatile player started his career at LT before moving to Center, should be late enough that Bodine won't feel any pressure.

[Image: 636041717010080052-AP-881996105298.jpg]

6. Zane Gonzalez K Arizona State -  We need a kicker so we take the best kicker on the board. 92% this season, 100% 1-49, 7/9 from beyond 50.

6. Joe Mathis DE Washington - This guy is gonna be a good player in the NFL, he may be a bit undersized at 6'2 255 but he has the speed, power and hands to succeed in the NFL whether thats rushing from the LB spot or adding some weight and playing as a pass rushing DE. He went down with a season ending injury and we need to make sure he checks out but this is a player to watch, if he has a good draft season this is a guy that will fly up draft boards.

[Image: HHYnUNz.jpg?1]

6. Charles Walker DT Oklahoma -  This is the guy who got a concusiion 4 games into the 2016 season and decided to walk away from the team and declare for the draft, this basically kills your draft stock. Clearly it is a risk to take a guy that would walk away like that but its the 6th round and your not gonna find a DT that can put pressure on the QB any better than him at this point in the draft.

[Image: Charles-Walker-Oklahoma-Out.jpg]

7. Pharaoh Brown TE Oregon -   Troubled TE with a history of arrest and injuries that still has a ton of talent. Once again another risk here but he is worth a flyer.

[Image: hi-res-51c29f0eb6feaad50ffd8b685176b265_...h=420&q=75]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Of all the mocks I've seen so far, this may be my favorite.

There are 2 players I'd be ecstatic about getting at 9...and that's Thomas and Fournette. 

Some people will hate the idea of a 1st round RB, but I love it. Yeah, you may be able to find good RB value in later rounds...but Fournette is a special cat. I've seen many make the case that Cook is better, and while I like Cook, Fournette bring's an attitude, an aggression and violence to the offense and I think they sorely need that type of fire added to mix. As long as Fournette checks out medically...I think it's a great pick.

The rest of your mock is solid as hell and adds talent at positions of need.

Great mock!
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2017, 03:16 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Of all the mocks I've seen so far, this may be my favorite.

There are 2 players I'd be ecstatic about getting at 9...and that's Thomas and Fournette. 

Some people will hate the idea of a 1st round RB, but I love it. Yeah, you may be able to find good RB value in later rounds...but Fournette is a special cat. I've seen many make the case that Cook is better, and while I like Cook, Fournette bring's an attitude, an aggression and violence to the offense and I think they sorely need that type of fire added to mix. As long as Fournette checks out medically...I think it's a great pick.

Great mock!
This mock is a wet dream.i would be so happy if we got fournette and charlton
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2017, 03:16 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Of all the mocks I've seen so far, this may be my favorite.

Great mock!

(01-19-2017, 03:57 PM)Buckeyes420 Wrote: This mock is a wet dream.i would be so happy if we got fournette and charlton

I really hope we take Fournette at 9, a RB like him takes this team to another level. It was clear to me that Hill was done when Burkhead came in and ran great behind that same Oline everyone was blaming for Hill's lack of production. Not sure what happened to him but he just doesn't have whatever he had his rookie season anymore.

Thing is I don't think our team is as bad as many I just think we have a ton of solid players with no real play-makers outside of Green on Offense, which makes things alot harder on Andy but if we grab a player of Fournettes caliber at 9 and find a speedy WR like Kenny Stills (FA) or Stacy Coley in round 3-4 I think this offense will be on another level next year. Also who knows but maybe with another year of experience Fisher or Og can step up at RT and play decent, for our sakes I hope they do because I don't see the coaches giving up on them this soon.
Reply/Quote
I like this mock overall, but the main thing that worries me would be who plays starting RG. Who do you think would start at RG? Winston, Asiata, Westerman, or Hopkins?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-20-2017, 03:45 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I like this mock overall, but the main thing that worries me would be who plays starting RG. Who do you think would start at RG? Winston, Asiata, Westerman, or Hopkins?

Knowing this team it would probably be Winston with one of the younger guys coming in slowly. I do think Hopkins and Westerman have shown some promise early on though.

I actually think Asiata could be the one to push for the spot sooner rather than later though, Big guy that holds up in pass protection and can create holes for the RB. Throw on top of that he can actually get out and run on screens and pulls and I feel like he could compete early for a shot at G. CBS compares him to Gabe Jackson who I was a fan of a couple years ago and while he might not be quite the prospect Jackson was I think its a solid comparison for Asiata.

You never know with this team though considering they haven't exactly shown a willingness to start some of the younger guys until absolutely necessary.
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2017, 04:45 PM)BobJones4980 Wrote: Knowing this team it would probably be Winston with one of the younger guys coming in slowly. I do think Hopkins and Westerman have shown some promise early on though.

I actually think Asiata could be the one to push for the spot sooner rather than later though, Big guy that holds up in pass protection and can create holes for the RB. Throw on top of that he can actually get out and run on screens and pulls and I feel like he could compete early for a shot at G. CBS compares him to Gabe Jackson who I was a fan of a couple years ago and while he might not be quite the prospect Jackson was I think its a solid comparison for Asiata.

You never know with this team though considering they haven't exactly shown a willingness to start some of the younger guys until absolutely necessary.

That's kind of what I assumed. Still would make me nervous given what we all saw with the right side of the offensive line last season. I'd feel more comfortable with an OG selection on Day 2 if the Bengals lost Zeitler, but if not, fingers crossed that the Bengals would find a way to make it work between Westerman, a mid-late round pick, and/or someone like Winston. Could be in for a LONG season otherwise.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Solid draft. I would pay Zeitler over Kirkpatrick. With Peko, Malaluga, and Dre gone it will clear a lot of space for signings.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2017, 11:57 AM)Okeana Wrote: Solid draft.  I would pay Zeitler over Kirkpatrick.  With Peko, Malaluga, and Dre gone it will clear a lot of space for signings.

Same here man just wanted to play with the idea of an off-season where Zeitler didn't get re-signed.
Reply/Quote
For funsies, nice draft. Projection and make-pretend is what it's all about.

That said, you lost me at Stills and a 9 million/year FA. They like Lafell at 3.5~, and they have never made a move for a FA if that price range. This is too far a break from how this organization handles FA. Might as well sink that into a known quantity in Zeitler.

Love the draft. Always appreciate your contributions this time of year.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2017, 08:07 PM)TGISunday Wrote: For funsies, nice draft. Projection and make-pretend is what it's all about.

That said, you lost me at Stills and a 9 million/year FA. They like Lafell at 3.5~, and they have never made a move for a FA if that price range. This is too far a break from how this organization handles FA. Might as well sink that into a known quantity in Zeitler.

Love the draft. Always appreciate your contributions this time of year.

Yea its all fun man, I know it'll never happen but to be fair the one spot they have shown a willingness to go after is WR, Antonio Bryant got 7+ million 7 years ago so its not a stretch to say with the cap rise 9 million is pretty similar to that 7 million 7 years ago. Also weren't they ready to give a similar contract to Marvin Jones last offseason? Maybe they want to make a play at a WR that brings back that skill set.

Also I wonder if Lafell is gonna be 3.5. Yea he is 30 but he had a damn good season for a #2, probably cost more to keep him here. 

I want Zeitler back as well, just wanted to do one without him. I think most of us would take him over Kirk if it came down to one or the other.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2017, 10:20 PM)BobJones4980 Wrote: Yea its all fun man, I know it'll never happen but to be fair the one spot they have shown a willingness to go after is WR, Antonio Bryant got 7+ million 7 years ago so its not a stretch to say with the cap rise 9 million is pretty similar to that 7 million 7 years ago. Also weren't they ready to give a similar contract to Marvin Jones last offseason? Maybe they want to make a play at a WR that brings back that skill set.

Also I wonder if Lafell is gonna be 3.5. Yea he is 30 but he had a damn good season for a #2, probably cost more to keep him here. 

I want Zeitler back as well, just wanted to do one without him. I think most of us would take him over Kirk if it came down to one or the other.
The Marvin Jones thing is a bad argument due to fact that was part of this motto draft develop retain. They were trying to retain him. That said I think we go wr at 9. If they were smart they would grab teo in free agency. A lb Corp of burfict, vigil, and teo would be pretty fearsome. I also would have to take Kirk due to fact u don't know what's going on with pacman.
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2017, 01:50 AM)Jpoore Wrote: The Marvin Jones thing is a bad argument due to fact that was part of this motto draft develop retain. They were trying to retain him. That said I think we go wr at 9. If they were smart they would grab teo in free agency. A lb Corp of burfict, vigil, and teo would be pretty fearsome. I also would have to take Kirk due to fact u don't know what's going on with pacman.

The Marvin Jones thing was to show they know how important that type of WR was for this team and clearly valued the skillset.

Clearly the chances of Stills or any real free agent being signed are slim to none. Without Stills though the draft would be pretty similiar just sign Lafell, Zeitler and draft a guy like Stacy Coley in 4 in place of the OG.

The LB thing is meh, Teo hasn't been healthy enough to play a full season in his career and even when he has been on the field he has been average at best. Give me a young guy in the draft over Teo. Teo is still riding on his name alone.

As for the Zeitler vs Kirk thing if I had to choose ill take the Pro Bowl caliber OG vs a middle of the pack CB. Especially considering they have multiple young guys they can test until Pacman comes back from suspension, gotta see what we have at some point. Although without Stills or another FA we should be able to afford both.
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2017, 01:50 AM)Jpoore Wrote: The Marvin Jones thing is a bad argument due to fact that was part of this motto draft develop retain. They were trying to retain him. That said I think we go wr at 9. If they were smart they would grab teo in free agency. A lb Corp of burfict, vigil, and teo would be pretty fearsome. I also would have to take Kirk due to fact u don't know what's going on with pacman.

Te'o? Why? He's Maualuga v2.0. 
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2017, 03:14 AM)BobJones4980 Wrote: The Marvin Jones thing was to show they know how important that type of WR was for this team and clearly valued the skillset.

Clearly the chances of Stills or any real free agent being signed are slim to none. Without Stills though the draft would be pretty similiar just sign Lafell, Zeitler and draft a guy like Stacy Coley in 4 in place of the OG.

The LB thing is meh, Teo hasn't been healthy enough to play a full season in his career and even when he has been on the field he has been average at best. Give me a young guy in the draft over Teo. Teo is still riding on his name alone.

As for the Zeitler vs Kirk thing if I had to choose ill take the Pro Bowl caliber OG vs a middle of the pack CB. Especially considering they have multiple young guys they can test until Pacman comes back from suspension, gotta see what we have at some point. Although without Stills or another FA we should be able to afford both.

We have money to retain everybody and then some.  Wr wise been balling hard for Williams at 9 as the heir apparent to aj. But can see signing a fa although think there are better ones to get than stills or lafell.  And as far as lb I have no clue why I said teo I think I said it in another thread as well I meant Alonso.  Even though he's a rfa. 
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2017, 06:02 AM)Jpoore Wrote: We have money to retain everybody and then some.  Wr wise been balling hard for Williams at 9 as the heir apparent to aj. But can see signing a fa although think there are better ones to get than stills or lafell.  And as far as lb I have no clue why I said teo I think I said it in another thread as well I meant Alonso.  Even though he's a rfa. 

I like Alonso better than Te'o, but Alonso will require a back up plan for when he gets injured. Provided the Dolphins don't match a RFA offer sheet. They last time I can remember the Bengals trying to sign a RFA was John Kuhn. 
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2017, 11:35 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I like Alonso better than Te'o, but Alonso will require a back up plan for when he gets injured. Provided the Dolphins don't match a RFA offer sheet. They last time I can remember the Bengals trying to sign a RFA was John Kuhn. 

Well we would use Rey as our backup. Also draft a lb but probably in the third or 4th instead of the second
Reply/Quote