Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Josh Tupau Bright spot on a dismal defense
Not sure it's a great time for a Hobspin article about a guy being ranked a lower mid-tier starter (against the run) with questionably loose qualification standards on the 32nd ranked run defense in the NFL.

They are allowing 167 rushing yards per game, on pace to be the worst rushing defense since 2010. That's the article that needs to be made, questioning why the DC still has a job.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2019, 08:57 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Not sure it's a great time for a Hobspin article about a guy being ranked a lower mid-tier starter (against the run) with questionably loose qualification standards on the 32nd ranked run defense in the NFL.

They are allowing 167 rushing yards per game, on pace to be the worst rushing defense since 2010. That's the article that needs to be made, questioning why the DC still has a job.

30/185 qualifying DTs is merit worthy.  Like I said toward the beginning of this thread;  There are tons of threads about what is wrong with the Bengals right now, I just find it nice to see something positive to latch onto for the future.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2019, 09:14 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: 30/185 qualifying DTs is merit worthy.  Like I said toward the beginning of this thread;  There are tons of threads about what is wrong with the Bengals right now, I just find it nice to see something positive to latch onto for the future.

Except they don't tell you what is "qualifying" (as in, 10% of the snaps? 25%? 50%? A grand total of 50 snaps? Playing in two games?)

Considering there's only about 48 starting DTs in the league (~50% of the teams use a 3-4), it makes me wonder how low the bar is for qualification that there can be 185. The Bengals have 4 DTs with at least 20% of the defensive snaps played this year. If you figure that number for other 4-3 teams, and half that number for 3-4 teams at roughly a 50-50 split, that's still only 96 DTs. That is a freaking mile away from 185, which makes me think that the qualifying number was made to be laughably big to make that 30 sound better.

Tupuo is playing in 45.4% of the defensive snaps. He's on the bench more often than not. They also don't mention what his pass defense/rush grade is. A guy who is utterly useless in the pass is a liability, because it means you're basically forfit 25% of your rush if they audible to a pass or the DC guesses wrong at what playcall they will use.

There's not nearly enough information in this shady Hobspin article to really get excited, which tells me that it is just classic Hobspin.

Reply/Quote
(11-22-2019, 08:57 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: They are allowing 167 rushing yards per game, on pace to be the worst rushing defense since 2010. That's the article that needs to be made, questioning why the DC still has a job.

"The Bengals are fifth in red zone defense and in the last three weeks they’re a top ten rush defense." Things do improve, and get worse, during a season. Against Seattle, this defense was lights out. Then they tanked. Now they are improving again. 
Reply/Quote
Tupau has been a bright spot.
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2019, 10:28 AM)Sled21 Wrote: "The Bengals are fifth in red zone defense and in the last three weeks they’re a top ten rush defense." Things do improve, and get worse, during a season. Against Seattle, this defense was lights out. Then they tanked. Now they are improving again. 

That is something positive to take note of, thanks for sharing that stat.  

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2019, 01:58 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That is something positive to take note of, thanks for sharing that stat.  

Wonder if the rise of Tupou will make Billings expendable this offseason.  The drafted Wren as well.  

Mikey might get aroused by the idea of another comp pick.
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2019, 04:24 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Billings is an unrestricted free agent.

Pay the man.

(11-22-2019, 04:40 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: With Pouncey out it would be nice to see Billings have a break out game, and Tupau. Turn Rudolph into the red faced deer in the headlights.

Could happen lol

Nice Christmas reference bro. Smirk 

(11-22-2019, 05:01 PM)Wyche Wrote: Offensively, Hopkins is still playing well also. I saw a stat saying he had won 93.3% of his pass blocks.

This is a big deal man, finally having a good to great Center.
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2019, 03:04 PM)samhain Wrote: Wonder if the rise of Tupou will make Billings expendable this offseason.  The drafted Wren as well.  

Wren is still developmental.  I look for the team to sign both Billings and Tupou to 3-4 year extensions.  As in I feel like the team might just stand pat with what they have at interior DL, this offseason.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2019, 09:14 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: 30/185 qualifying DTs is merit worthy.  Like I said toward the beginning of this thread;  There are tons of threads about what is wrong with the Bengals right now, I just find it nice to see something positive to latch onto for the future.

Thank you. Mellow

(11-23-2019, 10:28 AM)Sled21 Wrote: "The Bengals are fifth in red zone defense and in the last three weeks they’re a top ten rush defense." Things do improve, and get worse, during a season. Against Seattle, this defense was lights out. Then they tanked. Now they are improving again. 

Thank you.  Mellow 

(11-23-2019, 03:04 PM)samhain Wrote: Wonder if the rise of Tupou will make Billings expendable this offseason.  The drafted Wren as well.  

Nah, re-sign Billings. He is just coming into his own. This is when you sign the player to a long term contract.

If Mikey thinks a comp pick can replace Billings he is dumber than a bag of rubber hammers.
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2019, 03:30 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Nah, re-sign Billings. He is just coming into his own. This is when you sign the player to a long term contract.

If Mikey thinks a comp pick can replace Billings he is dumber than a bag of rubber hammers.

Not just the comp pick angle, but the team has invested what, 3 years worth of development into Billings?  If they didn't see him as a player worth keeping around, I'm thinking that he wouldn't have made the cut under the Marvin regime.  I know that I've knocked on Billings at times, in the past, but he's really turned into exactly what you look for in a 4-3 NT.

With as many positions that need addressed this offseason, at least interior DL isn't really one of them.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Billings was so young when he got here, he is just now developing into what we hoped he would be. No need to cut him loose now....
Reply/Quote

Being 5th in redzone defense means nothing if you're the 28th scoring defense. 

Being a top 10 rush defense (I assume 10th?) over the last three weeks doesn't change the fact that on the season they are 32nd in rush defense, 30th in yards per rush allowed, and 31st in rushing TDs allowed.

Not to mention we all know that if the Ravens didn't bench their starters in a 49-13 game, that rushing defense over the last three weeks would have been terrible.

Reply/Quote
(11-23-2019, 09:56 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Being 5th in redzone defense means nothing if you're the 28th scoring defense. 

Being a top 10 rush defense (I assume 10th?) over the last three weeks doesn't change the fact that on the season they are 32nd in rush defense, 30th in yards per rush allowed, and 31st in rushing TDs allowed.

Not to mention we all know that if the Ravens didn't bench their starters in a 49-13 game, that rushing defense over the last three weeks would have been terrible.

What do you want??  The team is 0-10, on their way to the worst record in the league this year.  Should all of them be taken behind the stadium and shot or something??

At least there are players on the team that are still trying to do well, and showing some (even meager) signs of improvement.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2019, 10:03 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: What do you want??  The team is 0-10, on their way to the worst record in the league this year.  Should all of them be taken behind the stadium and shot or something??

At least there are players on the team that are still trying to do well, and showing some (even meager) signs of improvement.

To complain....
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2019, 10:03 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: What do you want??  The team is 0-10, on their way to the worst record in the league this year.  Should all of them be taken behind the stadium and shot or something??

A team that isn't a dumpster fire. Tired of game losses trying to be turned into moral victories. I don't want to hear about how an 0-10 team with the worst run defense in a decade has actually not been terrible the last three games that they lost 90-33. I instead want to hear why the joke of a DC hasn't been fired yet. Why a QB Coach is still calling the plays while trying to be the HC. Why I have to watch Ryan Finley.

...maybe? Is "all of them" including the front office and coaching staff?   Ninja

Reply/Quote
(11-24-2019, 02:15 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: A team that isn't a dumpster fire. Tired of game losses trying to be turned into moral victories. I don't want to hear about how an 0-10 team with the worst run defense in a decade has actually not been terrible the last three games that they lost 90-33. I instead want to hear why the joke of a DC hasn't been fired yet. Why a QB Coach is still calling the plays while trying to be the HC. Why I have to watch Ryan Finley.

...maybe? Is "all of them" including the front office and coaching staff?   Ninja

Finley's played all of 2 games...… so you think that is a fair amount of time to assess a rookie QB? 
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2019, 02:15 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: A team that isn't a dumpster fire. Tired of game losses trying to be turned into moral victories. I don't want to hear about how an 0-10 team with the worst run defense in a decade has actually not been terrible the last three games that they lost 90-33. I instead want to hear why the joke of a DC hasn't been fired yet. Why a QB Coach is still calling the plays while trying to be the HC. Why I have to watch Ryan Finley.

Do you think that this is supposed to happen by magic, overnight?  Kicking, screaming, and complaining about the things that we already know are wrong, isn't going to make them get better.  Everyone know's what the problems are.  Some of us are just looking for something, anything that appears to be an improvement or turn in a positive direction.  It is starting to look like the dismal defense might actually have something developing, at the DT position.  That gives me a ray of hope that if they continue to work on improving other aspects of the defense, they just might have a shot at stopping some team from scoring next year.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2019, 11:48 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Finley's played all of 2 games...… so you think that is a fair amount of time to assess a rookie QB? 

3 games now and yeah, I am done assessing Finley. The kid sucks and isn't cut out to play in the NFL.

Reply/Quote