Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bobby Hart has a higher PFF grade than most of the free agent guards
(03-14-2021, 05:13 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Well if Hart is starting at Guard I guess I am down. Should help him instead of being on the edge cause he isn't a good pass blocker.

XSF was our best O-lineman besides Jonah last year in my opinion and Spain came in late and had to learn a new system 
under Turner who wasn't the best O-line coach. XSF was also injured for a large part of the season and I still think both 
were WAY better than Jordan. Jordan was terrible.

And yeah, Feiler is a MUCH better pass blocker than Hart.

One time we disagree lol

We were due for a fight... Hilarious

I agree with what you are saying here about Spain and XSF, but I really hope that isn't our starting tandem in 2021.  I would prefer Zeitler at RG, his natural position, and both Spain and XSF battle it out at LG, their natural position.

And, hopefully, they still draft a developmental G to replace them or Z down the road.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2021, 04:42 AM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: That sounds like a good way to grade OL in the 80s. Preventing a DL from disrupting the QB is the foundation of modern offenses. If a guy can blow DL off of the LOS, that's helpful, but a lot of those types of guys play like Alex Redmond. How many top teams are run first nowadays? Most of those teams use Kubiak style zone concepts and aren't all about blowing dudes off of the LOS. The Ravens seem like a team that does a bit of both, but they have a great defense. I'm inclined to agree with Sunset.

I think part of the reason they don't average out run block and pass block grades is because, let's say, a guy blocks his man all day and doesn't allow him to get to the QB. Nothing special, just blocks him and keeps him from any real pressure. If you were to look at the grade, it might not look all that great but the guy did a really good job keeping his QB clean all day so i think that's why the "overall" grade will reflect something like that. It's not just a simple average, as i said, it allows them to bump the grade up a bit if a guy is "just" consistently good and deserves to be seen as something more than just average. 

At least, that's the only thing that makes sense to me. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Everyone is talking about "blowing the D-line off the ball". That is good, but that is not how you measure run blocking. When a RB gains 5 yards it is not because the D-linemen have been blown 5 yards downfield. An O-lineman does not have to blow anyone off the ball to do his job perfectly. All he has to do is seal the running lane. Or if he stalemates the D-lineman at the LOS he just has to stick to him so that he can't make the tackle.

And conversely a D-lineman does not have to drive the blocker into the backfield to win. All he has to do is maintain his run fit. If he can just stalemate the blocker and shed him in order to make the tackle then he has won.
Reply/Quote