Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bodine Gone
2nd best move of the offseason behind getting Glenn.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
this offseason has been like the Christmas that never ends !
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
They probably feel the same about us signing Preston Brown.
[Image: Untitleddfcopycopycopycopy_zps872b23c3.png]
Reply/Quote
So we signed an upper tier rated MLB from the Bills and they signed from us possibly the worst Center in the NFL. I think we got the better of the deal...
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2018, 07:20 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: Good. Price, Daniels, Ragnow here we come!

That's what Bengal.com has been saying.  The Bengals will look to Pick One in the draft to replace Bodine.  They can not look F/A after signing Eifert, the LT and LB.  I'm hoping Price out of Ohio State. It's like we heard Luck and at last moment some said RG3 as good.  Lately the talk of Daniels and Ragnow, but I like the Center people have seen coming to the NFL for some time now and that is Price.  All signs are that Price will become a Pro Bowl Center for the smart team that drafts him.  The Ohio State Buckeyes don't win National Championship and over the last few years beat the top teams without Price at Center. He is well coached under Urban Meyer's coaching staff.  Maybe there are no sure things in the draft, but a team picking Price to be their center is the smart move Super Bowl Steelers would make and as solid of a pick as you can get. He will be a huge upgrade from Bodine or Cook. Probably will be the best Center we've had since the 1980's or 1970's. Any that ever saw Raiders Otto or Steelers Webster know the impact of having a Pro Bowl Center. Price is suppose to be one of the best centers in the draft in a long time. If you heard announcers rave about him blocking against Michigan, Michigan State, Wisconsin, Notre Dame, Oregon, Alabama, he can flat out block and we could use him.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
I’m as happy as anyone that Bodine is gone, but I think it’s a huge gamble to count on an unproven and un-named draft pick to step in & start right away.
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2018, 05:43 AM)Devils Advocate Wrote: I’m as happy as anyone that Bodine is gone, but I think it’s a huge gamble to count on an unproven and un-named draft pick to step in & start right away.

Well at least he would be coachable and not PA tainted.

Reply/Quote
(03-20-2018, 05:43 AM)Devils Advocate Wrote: I’m as happy as anyone that Bodine is gone, but I think it’s a huge gamble to count on an unproven and un-named draft pick to step in & start right away.

“To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.”

- Winston Churchill
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2018, 05:43 AM)Devils Advocate Wrote: I’m as happy as anyone that Bodine is gone, but I think it’s a huge gamble to count on an unproven and un-named draft pick to step in & start right away.

Well, to be fair, it can't be worse than if we had re-signed Bodine :).

I'd take an unknown over a known bad any day of the week.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2018, 07:35 AM)HuDey Wrote: “To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.”

- Winston Churchill

Like Browns QBs?
Reply/Quote
We were also happy when Kyle Cook was gone and Ghiauciuc (?) was gone and it led to...Bodine.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2018, 08:04 AM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: We were also happy when Kyle Cook was gone and Ghiauciuc (?) was gone and it led to...Bodine.

And yet Paul Alexander lasted so long through it all...

Maybe that whole time we were treating the symptom when we should have been treating the disease.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2018, 08:03 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Like Browns QBs?

Ok. That quote missed the mark.
Maybe I should’ve quoted the guy who said:

“If you keep putting the same terrible player on the field year after year, you might keep getting the same terrible results year after year.”

- Some guy who wants better results
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2018, 08:06 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: And yet Paul Alexander lasted so long through it all...

Maybe that whole time we were treating the symptom when we should have been treating the disease.

Couldn't have said it better.
"Whose kitty litter did I just s*** in?"

"He got Ajax from the dish soap!"
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2018, 10:57 PM)Bryan Wrote: He only gave up one sack? How many QB pressures did he give up?

There may have only been one sack and one hit recorded, but having a QB that is well accustomed to having to get rid of the ball in a hurry likely helped keep those numbers low.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Good to see that they let him go. He wasn't getting it done here. That said, I will wish him luck in Buffalo. Maybe he gets better with a different coaching staff and improves?

On a side note, I am not totally against the Bengals drafting two centers in the draft. Let's say they grab a LB or DT in round 1 and Price in the 2nd. If Ragnow is available in the third, do you hedge and grab him as well knowing you now have 2 guys to compete with Price being able to move to Guard if Ragnow does well? Just a thought.
Reply/Quote
As far as Bodine's problems go, allowing sacks and hits was not really one of them.

What he did was miss blocks in the run game and force the RBs up into the pocket during pass protection, allowing sacks to come around the corners.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2016/8/19/12552658/russell-bodine-is-awful-pff-agrees
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2018, 08:36 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: There may have only been one sack and one hit recorded, but having a QB that is well accustomed to having to get rid of the ball in a hurry likely helped keep those numbers low.

Yup. How many times did we see Andy throw it away last season? A LOT.
"Whose kitty litter did I just s*** in?"

"He got Ajax from the dish soap!"
Reply/Quote
Quote:Ian Rapoport

@RapSheet
Bodine got a 2-year deal for $5M... He turned down a long-term deal from Cincy with low guarantees, opting for a deal he believes is best for his future https://twitter.com/rapsheet/status/975858708856139781
8:42 PM - Mar 19, 2018
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
So...The Bengals were saved from themselves from the player that they inexplicably wanted to keep.

...Maybe we're overselling the "new look" Bengals after all...
Reply/Quote