Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bodine
(10-17-2016, 05:11 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I know it will fall on deaf ears; as upset homer is the best evaluator of talent, but Bodine has played well for us this year. He's had one bad game and shown steady improvement throughout the year up to the point he was our 2-3 best onlineman. Independent evaluators have supported this view.

This coming from someone who has wanted him replaced the last couple years and earlier this year. WTS, I've always thought TJ Johnson could be a fine Center. He is long and strong.

You are obviously under the influence of a controlled substance
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2016, 07:27 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: You are obviously under the influence of a controlled substance

Typically, when someone offers a response such as yours, it is customary to at least add a few details from your opinion to support trashing a respected member's opinion like that...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Prime time to test Westerman at center.
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2016, 01:24 PM)Devils Advocate Wrote: What team, in their right mind; loses the starting Center to injury --upon replacing said injured Center, proceeds to run a running play behind that replacement?

The Bengals.

This coaching staff is a joke.
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2016, 07:03 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: You're not the only one to have noticed that Bodine has shown tremendous effort toward being at least tenacious in his blocking abilities.  I think part of the problem is that his body is too top heavy for him to get low and drive.  He almost is built better for DL.

Yes.....it's not like he just stands around....like you say....and I've noticed a bunch....he plays WAY too high.  These are pee wee league issues....and our Canton bound o line coach can't correct this? Also....Zeitler is doo doo.  Is he injured?

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-17-2016, 09:30 PM)Wyche Wrote: Yes.....it's not like he just stands around....like you say....and I've noticed a bunch....he plays WAY too high.  These are pee wee league issues....and our Canton bound o line coach can't correct this? Also....Zeitler is doo doo.  Is he injured?

I couldn't tell you how many times I've seen Bodine stand straight up right after snap. And it's not just him the rest of the line does as well, way to often.

Watch other NFL lines. They'll stay low, knees slightly bent, head up etc. PA is a complete joke !
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2016, 09:38 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I couldn't tell you how many times I've seen Bodine stand straight up right after snap. And it's not just him the rest of the line does as well, way to often.

Watch other NFL lines. They'll stay low, knees slightly bent, head up etc. PA is a complete joke !

I really watched Bodine closely this week.  I wanted to see if bfine was correct.  He was.  However....as you said....too many times he was playing tall and getting shoved backwards.  It's poor technique....and you're right....they're all guilty quite a bit.  When Russell does get low....he plays pretty well.

I was undersized to play pulling guard.  I was too slow to play much else...lol.  I had a quick first step....and my size forced me to rely on fundamentals...angles....and leverage.  That was just high school.  Come on Piano Man.....shit.

Reply/Quote
(10-17-2016, 09:45 PM)Wyche Wrote: I really watched Bodine closely this week.  I wanted to see if bfine was correct.  He was.  However....as you said....too many times he was playing tall and getting shoved backwards.  It's poor technique....and you're right....they're all guilty quite a bit.  When Russell does get low....he plays pretty well.

I was undersized to play pulling guard.  I was too slow to play much else...lol.  I had a quick first step....and my size forced me to rely on fundamentals...angles....and leverage.  That was just high school.  Come on Piano Man.....shit.

Exactly,

It's coaching 101, it's simple physics you learn at the HS level. Ogieboogie trys to plant his feet while standing up while taking on DE's. It's waayyy to easy for even an average DE to just shove him aside.

Why is it a (professional) cough, choke, coaching staff can't see and correct these problems ?
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2016, 09:38 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I couldn't tell you how many times I've seen Bodine stand straight up right after snap. And it's not just him the rest of the line does as well, way to often.

Yes, fan_in_kettering has pointed this issue out on occasion.  Teams that run block well, fire forward and low.  The Bengal OL seems to stand up, and get stalemated.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2016, 01:24 PM)Devils Advocate Wrote: What team, in their right mind; loses the starting Center to injury --upon replacing said injured Center, proceeds to run a running play behind that replacement?

The Bengals.

Only the stupid Bengals Coach(s)
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2016, 08:00 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Prime time to test Westerman at center.

Issue with that is that Westerman hasn't gotten many reps. And he's also received no reps at center. So it's a disaster waiting to happen to throw in a guy who's never even had a NFL rep at the center position less than 7 days to play a NFL game against one of the up and coming defensive tackles in the NFL.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
I'm sorry, but Bodine has been horrendous this year. It wasn't just one bad game - in the games I got to see (all but New England) he let a defender in unblocked at least once every game. Unblocked defenders are the unforgivable sin of OL play. Add in the terrible technique and he is awful.

Interestingly, like Zeitler and Og the issues are mostly technique and mental mistakes as opposed to physical. And who is responsible for the technique of the OL? And for teaching them how to play intelligently? Hmmmmm......
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2016, 12:16 AM)Joelist Wrote: I'm sorry, but Bodine has been horrendous this year. It wasn't just one bad game - in the games I got to see (all but New England) he let a defender in unblocked at least once every game. Unblocked defenders are the unforgivable sin of OL play. Add in the terrible technique and he is awful.

Interestingly, like Zeitler and Og the issues are mostly technique and mental mistakes as opposed to physical. And who is responsible for the technique of the OL? And for teaching them how to play intelligently? Hmmmmm......

Be sorry all you want but Bodine has nor been horrendous this year.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-18-2016, 12:34 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Be sorry all you want but Bodine has nor been horrendous this year.

He has looked better than last year imo.  Had the right side of the line played at the level that they did last year I don't think that there would be this wave negativity aimed at him. 
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2016, 02:54 PM)lostpoet2 Wrote: If Bodine hadn't gotten pushed back in a one on one block, the guy who fell would not have landed on his ankle.

Despite many here saying the answer to run blocking is fire low, that is not always the case. If the defender is willing to run himself out of the play you let him do so.

Anybody that objectively watching the play that Bodine got hurt on can see this is what happened. He stayed engaged with the Dlineman and guided him away from the ball carrier. The bigger issue was who was responsible for the guy that was running free and landed on Bodine's ankle. Firing low?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-18-2016, 10:10 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Despite many here saying the answer to run blocking is fire low, that is not always the case. If the defender is willing to run himself out of the play you let him do so.

Anybody that objectively watching the play that Bodine got hurt on can see this is what happened. He stayed engaged with the Dlineman and guided him away from the ball carrier. The bigger issue was who was responsible for the guy that was running free and landed on Bodine's ankle. Firing low?

This is true.....but there is a difference in "riding" a defender out of the play and getting manhandled.  Bodine is improved, but he still gets shoved around quite a bit, and loses leverage on the defender.

Reply/Quote
(10-18-2016, 10:45 AM)Wyche Wrote: This is true.....but there is a difference in "riding" a defender out of the play and getting manhandled.  Bodine is improved, but he still gets shoved around quite a bit, and loses leverage on the defender.

This is true. He also struggles with second level blocks and staying anchored.

He has been improved this season, and I think doesn't get enough credit for the Dolphins game. That was probably the best game he's had. Period.

The problem is that Ogubehi has been struggling tremendously and if you have a player who's bad and another who has been below average, you attack the stronger side of the line and allow some defenders one on one opportunities. Or just attack the weaker side.

We have 3/5 lineman that have been average or better their entire careers. 2/5 have been below thus far. Sure, one has improved, but still has played below average this season. Better than usual, but certainly not great.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2016, 11:17 AM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: This is true. He also struggles with second level blocks and staying anchored.

He has been improved this season, and I think doesn't get enough credit for the Dolphins game. That was probably the best game he's had. Period.

The problem is that Ogubehi has been struggling tremendously and if you have a player who's bad and another who has been below average, you attack the stronger side of the line and allow some defenders one on one opportunities. Or just attack the weaker side.

We have 3/5 lineman that have been average or better their entire careers. 2/5 have been below thus far. Sure, one has improved, but still has played below average this season. Better than usual, but certainly not great.

Agree totally.  I just wonder what the hell is up with Zeitler?

Reply/Quote
I'll admit that I have not watched enough snaps of Bodine to be able to give an informed decision.  And you have to factor in that the snips I have seen were posted to demonstrate how bad he is.  

But all the film I see demonstrate a player who is being shoved back into the backfield with ease.  On seal off blocks he is unable to sustain his block. The defender pivots him out of the way and makes the tackle.  This happened on a posted film in Cincy Jungle that was giving him props for continuing to push Gio and the pile resulting in a 7 yard pickup.

And I would agree with that.  But if he had sealed his man off and sustained the block his man would not have been able to tackle Gio in the first place.

I keep hearing how Bodine has improved, but I'm not seeing the right cut ups.

And for the record we should use Fisher instead of Peko for big boy fullback.  Peko doesn't know who to hit.
Reply/Quote
Bodine wouldn't be starting on 31 other teams, so stop hyping him up as having a good year.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote