Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Bogus trade rumors
The entire city and fan base is overflowing with excitement on Burrow coming here. I don't see any trade that could justify us passing up Burrow. I know some people will say load up on picks and draft Lawrence next year, but it takes two to tango. Philadelphia did this with Chip Kelly and Marcus Mariota. The Eagles just assumed they could trade up and take him, but the Titans turned them down. 

Just stay at #1 and take the franchise QB that's staring you right in the face.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2020, 06:19 PM)Synric Wrote: Corey Littleton is very good in coverage but he is below average as a run defender. You would be bringing him into division with 3 teams that prioritize the run game with heavy formations.

Yes a Linebacker that is good in coverage is a major concern for the Bengals but they also need him to be great against the run.

A lot of that has to do with the defensive line, as well.  They can't help you in coverage (although they can get pressure) but they will keep bodies off the LBs to make the stops in the running game.  It seems like our LBs just miss so many tackles.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2020, 07:34 PM)J24 Wrote: Do we know that there not considering trading the pick? I think it's highly unlikely but if someone offers you a Hershel Walker type deal you have to at least consider it.
Anyways  it's a message board and trade conversations are fun.

I'm not saying you can't talk about it, but these chicken littles and "trade rumors" just make me want to vomit.  A sticky can put them all in one nice, neat place for me to avoid like a bathroom stall after Piggy.  
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2020, 01:33 AM)JSR18 Wrote: WhoDey2 Granted, I didn't watch more than a few Clemson games this year. If you put Skalski in the middle between Pratt and Vigil, that would be an instant upgrade from last year.

Of course, that would mean carrying more LBers than last year and using them correctly...

When we talk about a "thumper" and how he would just play the middle or something, remember the team will be in nickel much more than the so-called "base".  When you look at the league, and the mobile QBs we will be facing in the division (Jackson) and (hopefully) contending with for the league (Mahommes), you need LBs that can really run.  A slow-plodding LB is simply not very useful in today's game.  Even a very instinctual one.  They need better wheels.  
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2020, 01:33 AM)JSR18 Wrote: WhoDey2 Granted, I didn't watch more than a few Clemson games this year. If you put Skalski in the middle between Pratt and Vigil, that would be an instant upgrade from last year.

Of course, that would mean carrying more LBers than last year and using them correctly...

That's just the thing though; I thought Boulware would be a major asset to any team, after seeing how well he played down the stretch in his senior year. I looked him up on draft scout and couldn't find him until the bottom of the second page. I was perplexed and their grade for him 7th-FA.

I was stunned and thought that was ridiculous, also that he would be a late gem and be serviceable at worst in the league.

Draft day comes, nothing. Signed as a FA, didn't make any team's opening day roster and out of football entirely, 1 month later.

Skalski is almost identical in size, play-style, runs the same 40 and plays the same position on the exact same Clemson D, as Boulware did.

I see him staying another year and following the exact same path.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Seeing some grumblings that they might pursue Scherff from Washington. But we all know how free agency works around here.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2020, 10:20 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: When we talk about a "thumper" and how he would just play the middle or something, remember the team will be in nickel much more than the so-called "base".  When you look at the league, and the mobile QBs we will be facing in the division (Jackson) and (hopefully) contending with for the league (Mahommes), you need LBs that can really run.  A slow-plodding LB is simply not very useful in today's game.  Even a very instinctual one.  They need better wheels.  

(01-16-2020, 10:23 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: That's just the thing though; I thought Boulware would be a major asset to any team, after seeing how well he played down the stretch in his senior year. I looked him up on draft scout and couldn't find him until the bottom of the second page. I was perplexed and their grade for him 7th-FA.

I was stunned and thought that was ridiculous, also that he would be a late gem and be serviceable at worst in the league.

Draft day comes, nothing. Signed as a FA, didn't make any team's opening day roster and out of football entirely, 1 month later.

Skalski is almost identical in size, play-style, runs the same 40 and plays the same position on the exact same Clemson D, as Boulware did.

I see him staying another year and following the exact same path.

WhoDey2 I see both points and stand corrected...
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
(01-16-2020, 12:10 PM)JSR18 Wrote: WhoDey2 I see both points and stand corrected...

We'll see man! He could prove all of us wrong, but it has almost always rung true, that similar players in similar college systems, almost always don't make an impact at the next level.

We'll find out!
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2020, 06:11 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Can we make a sticky and put all these ridiculous rumors under one thread?

The Bengals aren't trading the first overall pick. They are taking Burrow.

Let's talk about what to do AROUND the draft.

Get Billings, Green, and Vigil under contract?

Sign Whit to play LG?

Sign Thuney as RG?

Sign Littleton as LB?

If they can do those three things, and draft a stud WR, RT, S, and depth on the defensive line....Well, I just might want to renew season tickets.

If we trade the top pick I will be 100% done with this team. Wouldn't it be so Mike Brown to NOT give up Akili Smith for a slew of picks, but to pass on what looks like an all-time great because he "learned his lesson"? Ugh.

To answer your question, I'd look at signing at least one top lineman. I'd rather it be a younger guy who can stick around for a few years, but I wouldn't hate bringing back Whit for one year.

I'd also look at bringing in a veteran pass catching TE. Eifert is pretty washed, Uzomah is meh and Drew Sample - at best - can't be relied upon in 2019. Lastly, I'd trade Dalton or cut him loose, then sign a veteran like Mike Glennon, Drew Stanton or Blake Bottles.

After signing those 2-3 players in free agency, I'd focus the draft on solidifying the team around Burrow. Look at top LBs, pass rushers and maybe WR's and more o-linemen.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2020, 01:43 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: The entire city and fan base is overflowing with excitement on Burrow coming here. I don't see any trade that could justify us passing up Burrow. I know some people will say load up on picks and draft Lawrence next year, but it takes two to tango. Philadelphia did this with Chip Kelly and Marcus Mariota. The Eagles just assumed they could trade up and take him, but the Titans turned them down. 

Just stay at #1 and take the franchise QB that's staring you right in the face.

The Colts offer 
Dairus Leonard + Quinton Nelson+ 2 additional 1st + 2 2nds for Joe Burrow.
Now I seriously doubt that the Colts would offer that but if they did that would be a hell of a deal to pass up.
It would have to be a massive deal anyways for a team to get Burrow.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2020, 01:09 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: If we trade the top pick I will be 100% done with this team. Wouldn't it be so Mike Brown to NOT give up Akili Smith for a slew of picks, but to pass on what looks like an all-time great because he "learned his lesson"? Ugh.

To answer your question, I'd look at signing at least one top lineman. I'd rather it be a younger guy who can stick around for a few years, but I wouldn't hate bringing back Whit for one year.

I'd also look at bringing in a veteran pass catching TE. Eifert is pretty washed, Uzomah is meh and Drew Sample - at best - can't be relied upon in 2019. Lastly, I'd trade Dalton or cut him loose, then sign a veteran like Mike Glennon, Drew Stanton or Blake Bottles.

After signing those 2 players in free agency, I'd focus the draft on solidifying the team around Burrow. Look at top LBs, pass rushers and maybe WR's and more o-linemen.

Myself and like 6 or 7 of my fellow local fans will be with you. 

Depending on what happens with AJ I might consider a vet WR as well. I just have the gut feeling AJ will be gone, perhaps I'm wrong ? And I have very little faith in Ross. So that leaves Boyd and Tate (who still has a little ? ) Rookie WR's typically take some time to develop. 
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2020, 01:27 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Myself and like 6 or 7 of my fellow local fans will be with you. 

Depending on what happens with AJ I might consider a vet WR as well. I just have the gut feeling AJ will be gone, perhaps I'm wrong ? And I have very little faith in Ross. So that leaves Boyd and Tate (who still has a little ? ) Rookie WR's typically take some time to develop. 

I meant to bring up AJ in my post, but it was already dragging on a bit. That's a tough one. I'd let him, Dalton and Glenn go and have a free agency bonanza, but we all know how Mike works. So maybe the best we can hope for is that we bring him back on a fair contract. It wouldn't hurt to have him around for Burrow's rookie year.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2020, 01:59 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I meant to bring up AJ in my post, but it was already dragging on a bit. That's a tough one. I'd let him, Dalton and Glenn go and have a free agency bonanza, but we all know how Mike works. So maybe the best we can hope for is that we bring him back on a fair contract. It wouldn't hurt to have him around for Burrow's rookie year.

That's the thing.  If I trusted that they'd actually do something in free agency, I'd have no qualms with them dumping Dalton, Green, and Glenn.  But I don't.  If they unload those salaries and then do nothing with them, I'm going to be furious.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2020, 01:59 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I meant to bring up AJ in my post, but it was already dragging on a bit. That's a tough one. I'd let him, Dalton and Glenn go and have a free agency bonanza, but we all know how Mike works. So maybe the best we can hope for is that we bring him back on a fair contract. It wouldn't hurt to have him around for Burrow's rookie year.

(01-16-2020, 02:18 PM)Big Boss Wrote: That's the thing.  If I trusted that they'd actually do something in free agency, I'd have no qualms with them dumping Dalton, Green, and Glenn.  But I don't.  If they unload those salaries and then do nothing with them, I'm going to be furious.

Agree

Hell I wouldn't have a problem with nearly anybody if...... like you guys say they'll do the right thing and replace them with upper tier guys. 

And I wouldn't mind having AJ back at all, with like you say, with a fair contract. I just feel he's gonna want top 8 or whatever WR money and that's just to much all things considered.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2020, 06:30 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Speaking of trading and drafting a stud WR...I saw someone on Twitter throw out the idea of moving back up into the 1st if Tee Higgins is still there around 20 or so. Higgins is a Bengals and AJ Green fan, and pairing him with Burrow would be pretty interesting. Definitely not the craziest idea I've heard so far. LOL

The great thing about having the top pick is that our 2nd rounder is almost like having another 1st rounder. It shouldn't take much to move from 33rd up to the late teens or 20's.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2020, 01:25 AM)JSR18 Wrote: WhoDey2 I can't say from the standpoint of watching a lot of Clemson's games. I'm thinking put Skalski in the middle and let him fill holes and thump people and get some outside guys who can cover... 

Who knows? With a new LB coach this might work out.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2020, 10:34 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Seeing some grumblings that they might pursue Scherff from Washington. But we all know how free agency works around here.

How has Scherff looked as of late? He has been decent in the past. Might be a nice pick up for us.

(01-16-2020, 01:09 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: If we trade the top pick I will be 100% done with this team. Wouldn't it be so Mike Brown to NOT give up Akili Smith for a slew of picks, but to pass on what looks like an all-time great because he "learned his lesson"? Ugh.

After signing those 2-3 players in free agency, I'd focus the draft on solidifying the team around Burrow. Look at top LBs, pass rushers and maybe WR's and more o-linemen.

I sure wouldn't be buying anymore merchandise that is for sure. Would be pathetic if we traded the top pick right when the 
best prospect at QB in years is coming out right when we need a new Franchise QB. Have to bring in a top Lineman in FA 
regardless and I actually think we will to help Burrow out. He will be the pick.

(01-16-2020, 01:24 PM)J24 Wrote: The Colts offer 
Now I seriously doubt that the Colts would offer that but if they did that would be a hell of a deal to pass up.

No way would they offer that much and I still wouldn't do it.

Get a top Lineman and a decent LB that can cover and tackle in FA. Draft Burrow and a WR early and continue to build the 
OL and the LB core up through the rest of the Draft. We would be better off this way anyways IMO.

(01-16-2020, 01:27 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Myself and like 6 or 7 of my fellow local fans will be with you. 

Have been saying Amari Cooper would be a guy I would look at if we want a vet WR and AJ wants too much.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2020, 03:20 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Who knows? With a new LB coach this might work out.

WhoDey2 It could! We'll have to see... 
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
(01-16-2020, 01:24 PM)J24 Wrote: The Colts offer 

That would be hell of an offer, and I'd still pass on it. The Bengals are very unlikely going to trade up in the first round to select a franchise QB. They'll do the whole "let the board come to them" BS and add more players. Then they'll have a built in reason to not do anything in free agency because they have save even more for future extensions. 

We can't sit back and hope that we'll be in the middle of the draft and hope there's a Mahomes or Watson sitting there. 
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote

This is just too perfect.  Burrow is full of personality and leadership.  I was the first to stick up for Dalton's play  but those are not his strengths.  He has proven to be clutch as well.  He is from Ohio, and he is the kind of guy that wanted to bring a program (Nebraska) "back to prominence".  How many college kids want that over just being able to start or be surrounded by the best talent. If I could have changed anything about Burrow, it would be his mobility/speed.  I think Lawrence has a bit more speed, but Joe showed me has more than enough mobility and speed.  He reminds me more of Aaron Rogers in his shuffle and spins, but when he takes off he moves pretty well.  I also love the fact that the OSU transfer was able to get the entire organization and team to back him.  That's no small task being from the outside.  

Ok, enough of me slobbering over Burrow.

I wasn't sure how Scheff scored on PFF, but both he and Thuney were ranked very high.  I would love either of them, but prefer Thuney only because it hurts the Pats and he is a local kid.  Add him and a rangy LB like Littleton and you have addressed two huge holes on this roster.  Of course, they should probably still draft an OT and more depth at LB but they wouldn't have to be with their second rounder.  I remember Rich Gannon, who was calling the SD/Bengals game years ago when Whit moved to LG saying "Whit could move to guard and play another 10 years".  He was exaggerating, but still.  I love the idea of him coming back for two more years while Michael Jordan develops. 

Williams- Whit- Hopkins- Thuney- Hart/Draft pick...yes, please.  Although I would love to see one of the top WR candidates there at #33, if all the elite talent is gone at WR, I would hope they could slide back and get a second 2nd rounder.  Maybe a stud safety to bump Shawn Williams out of the lineup?

I could see a veteran TE, but I really like Uzomah.  He seems to be taking advantage of his somewhat limited opportunities.  Eifert, I agree, looked very slow and seems to have lost his greatest asset.  Maybe a later round pick?  The TE doesn't seem to be too big a part of this offense, but I thought they looked very good in two TE sets toward the end of the year, and the running game improved as well.  

The fact that FA is set up before the draft allows them to be aggressive and then be able to target very specific areas and avoid needing a draft pick to start as a rookie (Jordan, Willis, UDFA).  I know everyone is going to say it won't happen, but I really think that getting Burrow and the focus on getting he protection from day 1 will make the Bengals do what they rarely have done in the past relative to FA.
Reply/Quote