Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boling contract question...
I really don't think the Bengals will go with Boling at Left Tackle this season, but since he pretty much shut down Suggs and some other top rushers in his short time at that position, let's say they do. Does moving Clint to starting LT negate the rest of his contract to play guard and give him the ability to renegotiate for LT money? Just wondering? Anyone know?
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2018, 02:38 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I really don't think the Bengals will go with Boling at Left Tackle this season, but since he pretty much shut down Suggs and some other top rushers in his short time at that position, let's say they do. Does moving Clint to starting LT negate the rest of his contract to play guard and give him the ability to renegotiate for LT money? Just wondering? Anyone know?

IIRC his contract is his contract regardless of what position he plays. It's up to him and his agent at that point whether to demand more money and potentially sit out if he's to play LT rather than OG. But a player can always go this route whether they change positions or not.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2018, 02:38 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I really don't think the Bengals will go with Boling at Left Tackle this season, but since he pretty much shut down Suggs and some other top rushers in his short time at that position, let's say they do. Does moving Clint to starting LT negate the rest of his contract to play guard and give him the ability to renegotiate for LT money? Just wondering? Anyone know?

Believe it does in negotiations.

Yet do not see Bengals breaking the bank to re-sign him if somebody else is willing to ante up. 

Think we have a 50/50 chance of keeping him when the time comes. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
I don't see Clint as a "Sit it out and wait for more money guy", but there is huge money differences in those two positions. I would hope the Bengals would give him something more. But, like I said, I don't see him playing tackle, it's just one of those things that had me wondering with the cap and all...
Reply/Quote

Well really any player any time could hold out for a new contract. 

But it will not negate his contract.  As all OL are lumped together kinda....  (so tagging an OG or Center cost the same as tagging a LT)

Now if we extend boiling after next season and we are playing him at LT I could definitely see him getting a raise.

I believe Whit was drafted to be OG but slid out to Tackle when Levi Jones couldn't go.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2018, 03:57 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Well really any player any time could hold out for a new contract. 

But it will not negate his contract.  As all OL are lumped together kinda....  (so tagging an OG or Center cost the same as tagging a LT)

Now if we extend boiling after next season and we are playing him at LT I could definitely see him getting a raise.

I believe Whit was drafted to be OG but slid out to Tackle when Levi Jones couldn't go.

This is what i believe as well.

Boling's contract is a great deal for MB too. A bit underpaid for a Guard looking at his play and similar Guards across the league.

If he moves to LT he should get a raise. Doubt he does though as Pollack kind of alluded too.

I hope we sign Nate Solder or Just Pugh in FA.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2018, 03:42 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: This is what i believe as well.

Boling's contract is a great deal for MB too. A bit underpaid for a Guard looking at his play and similar Guards across the league.

If he moves to LT he should get a raise. Doubt he does though as Pollack kind of alluded too.

People keep saying sign Solder, I don't think we can afford him at the same time we are extending Atkins, Dunlap and Dennard.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2018, 04:08 PM)Sled21 Wrote: People keep saying sign Solder, I don't think we can afford him at the same time we are extending Atkins, Dunlap and Dennard.

Why is that? Is Atkins, Dunlap  and Dennard pay suddenly going to double?
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2018, 04:39 PM)TheUberHuber Wrote: Why is that? Is Atkins, Dunlap  and Dennard pay suddenly going to double?

Dennards base pay for 2018 (option money) should definitely lower.  atkins and dunlap already on the books for 2018 at high salaries.. 
Unless the bengals front load their deals there should still be plenty.  Goal there is just avoid having them eyeballing freeagency.

Atkins 9.3 mil
dunlap 7 mil
Dennard 8.5 mil

already for 2018

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/cap/
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2018, 03:42 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: This is what i believe as well.

We wouldn't really upgrade if we signed Justin Pugh IMO. 
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2018, 04:08 PM)Sled21 Wrote: People keep saying sign Solder, I don't think we can afford him at the same time we are extending Atkins, Dunlap and Dennard.

(02-22-2018, 04:39 PM)TheUberHuber Wrote: Why is that? Is Atkins, Dunlap  and Dennard pay suddenly going to double?

(02-22-2018, 05:50 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Dennards base pay for 2018 (option money) should definitely lower.  atkins and dunlap already on the books for 2018 at high salaries.. 
Unless the bengals front load their deals there should still be plenty.  Goal there is just avoid having them eyeballing freeagency.

Atkins 9.3 mil
dunlap  7 mil
Dennard 8.5 mil

already for 2018

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/cap/

Well we could dump dead weight in Adam and MJ, i think this would help.

Or atleast re-do their deals as no longer starter money. Adam should only be used as a Returner and as CB depth.

MJ should only be used as a DT on passing downs and paid as backup.

These guys are severely overpaid for what they offer IMHO.

(02-22-2018, 05:55 PM)sandwedge Wrote: We wouldn't really upgrade if we signed Justin Pugh IMO. 

Pugh has been that bad huh? If so nevermind. Solder is the main guy i want. Guess there are other guys like Cameron
Fleming, Chris Hubbard or a guy that many on here wanted us to draft in Seantrel Henderson.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2018, 06:35 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Well we could dump dead weight in Adam and MJ, i think this would help.

Or atleast re-do their deals as no longer starter money. Adam should only be used as a Returner and as CB depth.

Pugh has been that bad huh? If so nevermind. Solder is the main guy i want. Guess there are other guys like Cameron
Fleming, Chris Hubbard or a guy that many on here wanted us to draft in Seantrel Henderson.

Oh I definitely agree on either cutting entirely or reducing greating the salaries and roles of MJ and A.Jones  Also Brandon lafell if someone else steps up to be the #2. ($0 in dead money if cut)

But just the point of those 3 (dunlap atkins and Dennard) are already getting paid well for 2018 so extending them could allow us to push the money around to another year if need be. which could be used to open more space.. Now I'm not saying the bengals will work that way.. They tend to make sure they pay what they can when they can to avoid cap situations. But its possible things to do if they are eyeballing someone hard in FA
Reply/Quote
To the point of the OP. Boling is under contract for another two seasons. If, in the unlikely event that the team would ask him to move to LT as his primary role, I would say after the '18 season would be the time to think about throwing him some extra $$$.

It's really tough to project how much he would be worth as a LT, after just a couple of games at the position. Now, if he were to win the job in camp, and kill it all season long? I'd say it's time to open up the check book and pay the man!

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2018, 07:00 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Oh I definitely agree on either cutting entirely or reducing greating the salaries and roles of MJ and A.Jones  Also Brandon lafell if someone else steps up to be the #2. ($0 in dead money if cut)

But just the point of those 3 (dunlap atkins and Dennard) are already getting paid well for 2018 so extending them could allow us to push the money around to another year if need be.  which could be used to open more space..     Now I'm not saying the bengals will work that way.. They tend to make sure they pay what they can when they can to avoid cap situations.  But its possible things to do if they are eyeballing someone hard in FA

Nice post Xeno, Lafell definately should be in this cutting discussion as well no question.

There are ways to free up the cap and get Geno, Dunlap and Dennard all long extensions and sign atleast
one OT for an upgrade that will open up the Draft. There are ways, don't listen to that Hobspin sumbitch.

(02-22-2018, 07:14 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: To the point of the OP.  Boling is under contract for another two seasons.  If, in the unlikely event that the team would ask him to move to LT as his primary role, I would say after the '18 season would be the time to think about throwing him some extra $$$.

It's really tough to project how much he would be worth as a LT, after just a couple of games at the position.  Now, if he were to win the job in camp, and kill it all season long?  I'd say it's time to open up the check book and pay the man!

All this makes sense, if we already have the man on the roster that would be great and all we really need
would be to add Andre and a Center early for Pollack to work with. Fisher we never know could also be good
if the heart problem is fixed. I have atleast seen good from Fisher at times, not last year though but if it was
the heart problem which it seemed it was who can blame him?
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2018, 06:35 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Well we could dump dead weight in Adam and MJ, i think this would help.

I read the bengals have 36 million for 2018. Idk if this including rookie contracts or not.

If we dropped pacman, mj, and some how traded Dre k and used that pick for a new depth cb we would have
Plenty of money to sign everybody and pick up a blue chip ol in fa....
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2018, 12:58 AM)TheUberHuber Wrote: I read the bengals have 36 million for 2018. Idk if this including rookie contracts or not.

If we dropped pacman, mj, and some how traded Dre k and used that pick for a new depth cb we would have

Would be all for that. Kirkpatrick is just not that good anyways and if we added a blue chip O-lineman in FA we could
take a CB at 12 and i would be fine with it. WJ3, Dennard, Shaw, Russell are all damn talented and they are already on
the team and Kirkpatrick is overpaid.
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2018, 12:58 AM)TheUberHuber Wrote: I read the bengals have 36 million for 2018. Idk if this including rookie contracts or not.

according to this article, after rookie signing pool, and other stuff, the Bengals are looking at around $18M to use for extensions and signing outside talent.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2018/02/10/cincinnati-bengals-xtra-setting-table-bengals-free-agency/323385002/?from=new-cookie

Quote:e salary cap is expected to grow again by about $11 million and the salary tracking website overthcap.com has projected the Bengals’ cap space at $35.3 million, which is 13th most in the league. Included in that is the carryover of $10.6 million from last year.

The bulk of that carryover money is – as of today – already spent, however.
According to overthecap.com, the Bengals will likely need about $9.5 million to sign their 12 draft picks in April.

That is the sixth highest rookie pool allotment projected in 2018, trailing only Cleveland ($19), Denver ($11), the New York Giants ($10.6), New York Jets ($9.6) and Oakland ($9.5).
Unlike salary-tracking sites, which only account for the top 51 contracts, the Bengals count a full 53-man roster – so include another $1.1 million for Tony McRae and Alex Redmond. Teams typically set aside about another $1.1 million for the practice squad and the Bengals tend to allot around $5 million for in-season injury protections.  
All told, the club is likely going into free agency (or the summer extension season) with roughly $18 million to use.

According to sportrac, the Bengals could gain about 10.8M by releasing Michael Johnson and Adam Jones.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/adam-pacman-jones-4983/

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2018, 05:00 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: according to this article, after rookie signing pool, and other stuff, the Bengals are looking at around $18M to use for extensions and signing outside talent.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2018/02/10/cincinnati-bengals-xtra-setting-table-bengals-free-agency/323385002/?from=new-cookie

According to sportrac, the Bengals could gain about 10.8M by releasing Michael Johnson and Adam Jones.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/adam-pacman-jones-4983/

Then release them, or at the very least restructure their contracts. This is killing us.

Actually like the thought of trading Dre. He might look more valuable to someone outside the org than he actually is.
Reply/Quote