Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boling not practicing until Training Camp
(05-24-2019, 03:45 PM)Au165 Wrote: He is also on the last year of his deal, which makes me believe he won't be back after this year even if he makes it through training camp. I get the feeling they want to be younger on the line so the unit can grow together. They resigned Hopkins and drafted Jordan which makes me think those two plus Miller are the future at guard/back up center. 

There's a very good chance he won't be back next year, but he'll be in the starting 5 this year and most likely at LG. of course I'm like everyone else, it's just my opinion.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2019, 02:23 PM)OSUfan Wrote: To all of those arguing that Boling should be the RT or have a shot at the RT position I would like to know why?

Boling has been looked at as our best lineman since Whit and Zeitler left but that has been because of consistency and his overall ranking. His ranking has been elevated due to the fact that he is an above average pass protector. However, he is below average run blocker and is no way a road grading, physical type run blocker that you are looking for at the RT position.

This regime is not making any sort of secret out of the fact that they are planning to showcase the running game. With this being the case I do not see Boling as a fit at the RT position at all.

In fact, I will not be shocked if Boling is not a part of the roster when the final cuts are made.
This. ^^^^^
Boling is 6'5 and 305 pounds in no way could he play RG  on a team wanting to run the ball. The coaches have said a few times already they want big body guys.
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2019, 01:51 PM)Joelist Wrote: Hart was poor last season but to be honest Redmond was just as bad. Miller is a significant upgrade over Redmond.

What I dislike about Hart is unless he really improves it will force us to line up Sample on the right side to chip on passing downs. That flies in the face of one of the things ZT said he wants to do on offense - run and pass out of the same formations. On the good side, Hart is better run blocking so the line they are proposing will allow for power running both to the left and to the right.

Which may be why they're higher on him than we are......

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Letting Boling ride the bench? Cutting him? This is crazy talk to me. I've thought for some time that he's one of the best pulling guards in the league. And he can pass protect at a high level. And he can play tackle. And he can block in space. 

People may be setting themselves up for a rude awakening if it turns out that Miller and Hart can't keep Dalton upright. This isn't the 1950s - pass protection is the bare minimum for line play.
Reply/Quote
Been saying it for awhile, but either Boling or Glenn is going to get cut. Boling not being able to even practice won't help his cause if the staff wants to move him to a new position. Add in salary (5 mil), being in the last year of his deal, as well as his recent performace? Throw in that we already paid Miller and Hart to man those spots on the right (and how the coaches are high on both)?

I know people like Boling and hate Hart, but I don't see Boling taking that spot with no practice. If he takes the LG spot per usual, no reason to keep Glenn.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2019, 08:30 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: Letting Boling ride the bench? Cutting him? This is crazy talk to me. I've thought for some time that he's one of the best pulling guards in the league. And he can pass protect at a high level. And he can play tackle. And he can block in space. 

People may be setting themselves up for a rude awakening if it turns out that Miller and Hart can't keep Dalton upright. This isn't the 1950s - pass protection is the bare minimum for line play.

I agree Bilbo, crazy talk! Crazy talk i tell yah!
Reply/Quote
Everyone keeps talking about how Boling was our best Olineman. With a line that had Ced O. Fisher Bodine and a revolving door at RG its not really saying that much.
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2019, 10:38 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: Everyone keeps talking about how Boling was our best Olineman. With a line that had Ced O. Fisher Bodine and a revolving door at RG its not really saying that much.

Yeah...on a really good line Boling is probably the 4th or 5th best guy.
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2019, 09:17 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Been saying it for awhile, but either Boling or Glenn is going to get cut. Boling not being able to even practice won't help his cause if the staff wants to move him to a new position. Add in salary (5 mil), being in the last year of his deal, as well as his recent performace? Throw in that we already paid Miller and Hart to man those spots on the right (and how the coaches are high on both)?

I know people like Boling and hate Hart, but I don't see Boling taking that spot with no practice. If he takes the LG spot per usual, no reason to keep Glenn.

5 mil is cheap.  If you can seriously say boling is not one of the top 5 olineman on the team you dont watch football.  Our oline is not great as it is ...why would we cut either?  They were clearly the best 2 guys we had last year ...by miles.  Both glenn and boling should be starting if they want the best 5 out there.  If we cut either is extremely stupid.  Why would people be talking salaries when we are 22 mil under cap right now and are projected to have a ton of money available next year barring extensions.  What does cutting clint get us 27 mil under cap? For what?  Our oline gets weaker so we can just be further under cap this year..makes zero sense to cut him.
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2019, 08:30 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: Letting Boling ride the bench? Cutting him? This is crazy talk to me. I've thought for some time that he's one of the best pulling guards in the league. And he can pass protect at a high level. And he can play tackle. And he can block in space. 

Yep he can pass protect at a high level. Yep he is very good at pulling. Yep he works well in space.

You however are ignoring some very clear things. to begin with I have seen most everyone compliment Boling on his pass protection skills. No one has questioned his ability to help keep the QB clean. I have seen most everyone state that he is very athletic which is why he is a good pulling player and good in space. What he is not is physical. When he pulls or is in space he is a get in the way blocker and not a road grader. That certainly is not the resume you are looking for in a RT on a line that is looking for a dominant run game as an identity.

No one is trying to take away from the abilities of Boling or what he has done for this franchise. Rather just stating some really obvious things.
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2019, 04:21 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: This. ^^^^^
Boling is 6'5 and 305 pounds in no way could he play RG  on a team wanting to run the ball. The coaches have said a few times already they want big body guys.

The whole 'Boling isn't big enough and the coaches want a big line that can run block' narrative is interesting...

Because...

John Miller is a TERRIBLE run blocker. Last year was his best year in the NFL, and he was a terrible run blocker:

'Overall, Miller was Pro Football Focus’ 25th best offensive guard in the NFL with an overall grade of 64.3. Like much of the Bills’ offensive line, he was, at minimum, average at pass blocking, but struggled as a run blocker. His pass-block grade was 71.4 while his run-block grade was 56.8.'
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2019, 09:11 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The whole 'Boling isn't big enough and the coaches want a big line that can run block' narrative is interesting...

Because...

John Miller is a TERRIBLE run blocker. Last year was his best year in the NFL, and he was a terrible run blocker:

'Overall, Miller was Pro Football Focus’ 25th best offensive guard in the NFL with an overall grade of 64.3. Like much of the Bills’ offensive line, he was, at minimum, average at pass blocking, but struggled as a run blocker. His pass-block grade was 71.4 while his run-block grade was 56.8.'
So you think Boling at 6'5 and 305 pounds and has been that weight for 9 NFL seasons and not a physical player by any means. Is going to step in at RG and be a better run blocker then a guy that is 6'3 and 315 pounds and much more of a physical player then Boling. Just switch him to the other side of the line which I don't think he has ever played on the right side of the oline in his college or NFL career for a very good reason...But yeah lets just pencil him in there cause it looks good on paper.
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2019, 09:11 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The whole 'Boling isn't big enough and the coaches want a big line that can run block' narrative is interesting...

Because...

Miller was PFF's #24 run blocker in 2016, though.

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2017/02/28/pff-names-bills-rg-john-miller-as-most-improved-second-year-player/

If we're being realistic, Boling wasn't exactly great last year, either, with a 61.9 PFF grade.  I wouldn't say that's enough to guarantee a starting spot.  When he gets healthy, he'll get a chance to compete for a starting spot. 
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2019, 12:18 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: So you think Boling at 6'5 and 305 pounds and has been that weight for 9 NFL seasons and not a physical player by any means. Is going to step in at RG and be a better run blocker then a guy that is 6'3 and 315 pounds and much more of a physical player then Boling. Just switch him to the other side of the line which I don't think he has ever played on the right side of the oline in his college or NFL career for a very good reason...But yeah lets just pencil him in there cause it looks good on paper.

Clint played both RT and RG in college.

Folks are getting too caught up in this Road Grader BS, ZT comes from the Rams whose starting RG last year was 6'3" 298 lbs. Boling is easily one of our best 5 olinemen and the team has already said their goal is to put the best 5 out there
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote

Because...

Interesting information. Glad I did not mention Miller being a good or bad run blocker and glad I did not mention the size of Boling as a reason for not being a dominant run blocker. I feel it has more to do with the nature of his game. He just is not a player that plays with a nasty streak. He is a not physical as a blocker apparently by nature he is an athletic and finesses type blocker.

You do not have to be huge to be a physical road grading blocker. Rather it is a mindset and a style. It is the mentality of having to impose your will on a defender. And sorry guys but this is just not the game I see from Boling.
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2019, 01:29 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Clint played both RT and RG in college.

Folks are getting too caught up in this Road Grader BS, ZT comes from the Rams whose starting RG last year was 6'3" 298 lbs. Boling is easily one of our best 5 olinemen and the team has already said their goal is to put the best 5 out there

This.
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2019, 01:29 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Clint played both RT and RG in college.

Being a physical road grading run blocker is not about stature. It is about the need to impose your will on the defender. To smash them and drive them. Do you honestly see that as part of the game of Boling? I like Boling and he can get the job done as a run blocker but physicality is not a part of his game. Not a knock on him just a fact.
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2019, 02:11 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Being a physical road grading run blocker is not about stature. It is about the need to impose your will on the defender. To smash them and drive them. Do you honestly see that as part of the game of Boling? I like Boling and he can get the job done as a run blocker but physicality is not a part of his game. Not a knock on him just a fact.

When healthy that is not a fact. Boling can play physical.

I have seen it, you are knocking on Boling for no reason except him being injured.
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2019, 12:18 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: So you think Boling at 6'5 and 305 pounds and has been that weight for 9 NFL seasons and not a physical player by any means. Is going to step in at RG and be a better run blocker then a guy that is 6'3 and 315 pounds and much more of a physical player then Boling. Just switch him to the other side of the line which I don't think he has ever played on the right side of the oline in his college or NFL career for a very good reason...But yeah lets just pencil him in there cause it looks good on paper.

Boling has absolutely been a better run blocker than Miller to this point. Miller struggles run blocking actually. It's more than just weight.

It's weird that the Bengals are moving Glenn to LG and displacing Boling because Boling has been a fine LG! Glenn has never played Guard in the Pros that I can recall. And furthermore, Glenn is a much better Tackle than Hart...and this move of Glenn to Guard seems to put Hart as the starting RT.

It doesn't make sense.

But, the logic that Boling is losing his job because he can't run block is flawed in that Miller is not a good run blocker. I don't care what his size is.

How, I think this will play out is Glenn will struggle at LG and be waived and Boling will be the LG. That will save money as Glenn doesn't have a big cap hit if released.
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2019, 01:19 PM)Whatever Wrote: Miller was PFF's #24 run blocker in 2016, though.

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2017/02/28/pff-names-bills-rg-john-miller-as-most-improved-second-year-player/

If we're being realistic, Boling wasn't exactly great last year, either, with a 61.9 PFF grade.  I wouldn't say that's enough to guarantee a starting spot.  When he gets healthy, he'll get a chance to compete for a starting spot. 

Well he regressed then because he was bad last year.

Throughout his career, he's been in and out of their lineup.
Reply/Quote