Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boling not practicing until Training Camp
I assume the coaches are basing their views on actually watching the players both on the field and on film and not on PFF whose value is almost nil when it comes to linemen. Also, for all we know Boling is being held back to nurse an injury. Plus, we don't know enough yet. One big thing we have no clear news on is the blocking scheme - are the new coaches going zone or switching to more of a directional drive blocking scheme?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2019, 02:17 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: When healthy that is not a fact. Boling can play physical.

I have seen it, you are knocking on Boling for no reason except him being injured.

Boling has always been much more effective at taking angles and run blocking at the 2nd level, than he ever has been at being able to simply blow a larger man off the ball head up on him.

I also feel like nobody on here is putting Boling down on purpose, because he's been a good to really good player for the Bengals for 9 seasons.  But the truth of the matter is that Boling is injured, and has already sustained some semi-serious injuries over the course of his career.  When healthy, there's absolutely no question that he's going to win that LG spot.  Injuries to the back never fully go away, once a shoulder has had sever damage?  That never just "heals up" either.  He's had to learn to play around both of those physical limitations, in order to stay on the field.  Nobody is dogging Boling, I admire his courage and spirit to play on.  I'm just thinking it might be time to have him on the bench, and healthy to take over for a late season run.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2019, 02:11 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Being a physical road grading run blocker is not about stature. It is about the need to impose your will on the defender. To smash them and drive them. Do you honestly see that as part of the game of Boling? I like Boling and he can get the job done as a run blocker but physicality is not a part of his game. Not a knock on him just a fact.

He's not been required to. LG and RG require different techniques. Once a defender is blocked he's blocked. It's silly to focus on the way they're blocked. Clint has been effective and is one of our top 5 Olinemen. Folks just trip too hard sometimes. Rams oline last year had an undersized RG and a huge LG. Guess what we'll have if Boling moves to RG.  At 298 lbs the Rams RG wasn't bulldozing anyone last year no matter how much he wanted to impose his will
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(05-25-2019, 02:58 PM)Joelist Wrote: I assume the coaches are basing their views on actually watching the players both on the field and on film and not on PFF whose value is almost nil when it comes to linemen. Also, for all we know Boling is being held back to nurse an injury. Plus, we don't know enough yet. One big thing we have no clear news on is the blocking scheme - are the new coaches going zone or switching to more of a directional drive blocking scheme?

With Turner and the O-lineman we have i highly doubt we go zone again, especially after how our O-line has played when in zone.

I bet it is more of a directional drive blocking scheme. Night and day when we had PA here and he was running that passive zone blocking shit where our Lineman were on their heels all the time and then Lazor helped get us to switch it up to more directional blocking.

Have to always give Lazor props for this.

(05-25-2019, 03:00 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Boling has always been much more effective at taking angles and run blocking at the 2nd level, than he ever has been at being able to simply blow a larger man off the ball head up on him.

I also feel like nobody on here is putting Boling down on purpose, because he's been a good to really good player for the Bengals for 9 seasons.  But the truth of the matter is that Boling is injured, and has already sustained some semi-serious injuries over the course of his career.  When healthy, there's absolutely no question that he's going to win that LG spot.  Injuries to the back never fully go away, once a shoulder has had sever damage?  That never just "heals up" either.  He's had to learn to play around both of those physical limitations, in order to stay on the field.  Nobody is dogging Boling, I admire his courage and spirit to play on.  I'm just thinking it might be time to have him on the bench, and healthy to take over for a late season run.

Sure seems to me lots on here are dogging on Boling and i don't get it.

Yes, he is injured but he has like you said been a good to really good player for us and i honestly find him to be very underrated, always have. Especially when Zeitler was here who got so much cred and he was a worse run blocker than Boling. To say Boling is like some soft fluff ball with no physicality is just crazy to me. I know that is not what anyone has said, but it wouldn't surprise me with how this is leading.

I have seen Boling pancake dudes at the goal line, i have seen it. He CAN play physical.
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2019, 02:58 PM)Joelist Wrote: I assume the coaches are basing their views on actually watching the players both on the field and on film and not on PFF whose value is almost nil when it comes to linemen. Also, for all we know Boling is being held back to nurse an injury. Plus, we don't know enough yet. One big thing we have no clear news on is the blocking scheme - are the new coaches going zone or switching to more of a directional drive blocking scheme?

Boling absolutely does have an injury and won't be ready until Camp.

I think this will play out with Glenn being waived eventually.

Great point on the scheme. I don't think anyone knows yet on the board.
Reply/Quote
It's just amazing to me that Hart could be a starter another year...after we draft a Tackle. That Glenn would move to Guard before Hart is replaced if it shakes out like that.

The quotes on Hart all say the coaches think he's good though:

Turner also spoke glowingly of free-agent right tackle Bobby Hart.

“I thought was phenomenal. I know he gave up some sacks and pressures and all this other business, but if you really watch him play, he played with passion and I thought he played well,” Turner said. “He played for Jimbo, so I talked with Jimbo about him coming from Florida State. I just like what he brought to the table as far as energy is concerned. I think he’s an athlete and I think he’s a good player, a good, solid player.”
Reply/Quote
Its a big difference running the ball in the NFC West and the AFC North again we are not the Rams we have to match up with guys and teams in our division.
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2019, 04:30 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's just amazing to me that Hart could be a starter another year...after we draft a Tackle. That Glenn would move to Guard before Hart is replaced if it shakes out like that.

The quotes on Hart all say the coaches think he's good though:

Turner also spoke glowingly of free-agent right tackle Bobby Hart.

“I thought was phenomenal. I know he gave up some sacks and pressures and all this other business, but if you really watch him play, he played with passion and I thought he played well,” Turner said. “He played for Jimbo, so I talked with Jimbo about him coming from Florida State. I just like what he brought to the table as far as energy is concerned. I think he’s an athlete and I think he’s a good player, a good, solid player.”

I think if you would look at the oline from right too left with Williams, Miller, Price, Boiling, Glenn anyone would be happy with that especially when you compare it to the 17 line. However the love affair with Hart makes zero sense and starting him screws up the whole line.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2019, 12:33 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: 'With incumbent left guard Clint Boling not practicing until training camp, he may be looking at a valuable utility role since he can play potentially all five spots, but he can for sure play both guards and tackles.'

Furthermore: Hobson projects line to be: Hart/Miller/Price/Glenn/Williams atleast initially.

https://www.bengals.com/news/hobson-s-choice-change-of-pace

I keep seeing Hart's name as a starter and that bothers me.

Reply/Quote
(05-25-2019, 02:37 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Well he regressed then because he was bad last year.

Throughout his career, he's been in and out of their lineup.

In '17, Boling had a 98.0 grade in pass blocking, but only a 75.5 overall grade because he was so poor at run blocking.  

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/6/15/17459808/pff-ranks-bengals-guard-clint-boling-top-5-pass-blockers

You can say Miller isn't a good run blocker, but it really means little unless you can show that Boling is a better run blocker.  
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2019, 01:31 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: I don't see how they can keep Boiling on the roster if he doesn't start. In all honesty it sounds like the front office is telling the coaches who and where to play people.

Not really.  Boling is injured.  ZT has to start with some unit and this one, with the players available, makes the most sense.

I still don't understand why everyone is so convinced Hart is the problem.  Glenn barely had a better PFF ranking and he made a hell of a lot more money.  Hart is still 24 years old.  Whit was 28 when he finally lined up at LT for good.  He has steadily improved, but really needs to cut down the horribly timed penalties.  
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2019, 02:17 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: When healthy that is not a fact. Boling can play physical.

I have seen it, you are knocking on Boling for no reason except him being injured.

Again, let me restate it. I am not knocking on Boling I actually like Clint Boling. With that being said I can also look at his game without bias and see what is his game and what is not his game. I have stated that Boling certainly gets it done in run blocking however that being a physically dominant run blocker is not the way he does it rather is a get in the way run blocker.

If you have seen it then please direct me to the video evidence and I will be more than happy to view it and reconsider my assessment.

Just to be clear again so as to not confuse anyone. Clint Boling has been a very solid player for this franchise for a long time now. I like Clint Boling but obviously I see different strengths to his game then some select board members apparently.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2019, 03:57 AM)Whatever Wrote: In '17, Boling had a 98.0 grade in pass blocking, but only a 75.5 overall grade because he was so poor at run blocking.  

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/6/15/17459808/pff-ranks-bengals-guard-clint-boling-top-5-pass-blockers

You can say Miller isn't a good run blocker, but it really means little unless you can show that Boling is a better run blocker.  

What you mean there is grading evidence that Boling is not the best run blocking OG in the league? Wait are you knocking on Boling?
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2019, 02:23 PM)OSUfan Wrote: To all of those arguing that Boling should be the RT or have a shot at the RT position I would like to know why?

Boling has been looked at as our best lineman since Whit and Zeitler left but that has been because of consistency and his overall ranking. His ranking has been elevated due to the fact that he is an above average pass protector. However, he is below average run blocker and is no way a road grading, physical type run blocker that you are looking for at the RT position.

This regime is not making any sort of secret out of the fact that they are planning to showcase the running game. With this being the case I do not see Boling as a fit at the RT position at all.

In fact, I will not be shocked if Boling is not a part of the roster when the final cuts are made.

While I wouldn't pencil Boling in at RT, does he deserve a shot at pushing Hart out? Yes

I say that because Hart clearly is one of the lower RTs in the league and Boling certainly proved he can play tackle when needed and he out played all of the other offensive linemen at LT when Whitworth was out, then when Glenn was out.

I know the RT is more run blocking oriented and generally goes up against bigger DEs on that side, but Hart was pretty bad. I know the team tries to sugar coat his play, but what are they going to say after re-signing him? Hart did play better for us than he did for the Giants. Maybe he'll improve again for the second year in a row.

For me it's not whether RT is a good fit for Boling as much as will Boling play the position better than Hart. We'll have to wait and see. If Hart flops, which is possible we really don't have anyone but Boling to step in.

Reply/Quote
(05-25-2019, 09:59 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: Its a big difference running the ball in the NFC West and the AFC North again we are not the Rams we have to match up with guys and teams in our division.

So you're telling me that a team that made the Super Bowl last year with a 298 lb RG didn't know what they were doing "because AFCN."  The best teams don't care about what division they're in - or playing against.  They kick your ass any way that they can.  You don't see teams from outside the division whining and crying whenever they play an AFCN team, do you?
Reply/Quote
I think we all need to take a step back in regards to the entire team. For 16 years the show was run by Marvin and his minions. These guys are no longer running things so all of what he knew about Bengals football is going to change. For the better or worse is still questionable, but it's no longer a Marvin Lewis team and how players are used or not used is going to change including the offensive line and I'm not sold on the notion of Mike Brown sticking his thumb in every slice of pie like he did in previous seasons.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(05-26-2019, 12:10 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: So you're telling me that a team that made the Super Bowl last year with a 298 lb RG didn't know what they were doing "because AFCN."  The best teams don't care about what division they're in - or playing against.  They kick your ass any way that they can.  You don't see teams from outside the division whining and crying whenever they play an AFCN team, do you?

We have a difference of opinion here and that's not going to change. In our division with the big DT I am taking the big body road grader every time unless the guy really sucks. If you want Boling on the line and he gets beat out by Cordy at LG then hope he can beat Hart out at RT it will be his only hope at starting.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2019, 10:16 AM)OSUfan Wrote: Again, let me restate it. I am not knocking on Boling I actually like Clint Boling. With that being said I can also look at his game without bias and see what is his game and what is not his game. I have stated that Boling certainly gets it done in run blocking however that being a physically dominant run blocker is not the way he does it rather is a get in the way run blocker.

If you have seen it then please direct me to the video evidence and I will be more than happy to view it and reconsider my assessment.

Just to be clear again so as to not confuse anyone. Clint Boling has been a very solid player for this franchise for a long time now. I like Clint Boling but obviously I see different strengths to his game then some select board members apparently.

Alrighty, no big deal then, would take me a lot of time and i don't have it to find the clips where Boling was blowing Defenders up at the Goal line. I just remember seeing it, think it was when Jeremy Hill was getting lots of TD's. I am not saying Boling is some nasty, physical Lineman either, he is more about technique which is much more important anyways.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2019, 02:50 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: We have a difference of opinion here and that's not going to change. In our division with the big DT I am taking the big body road grader every time unless the guy really sucks. If you want Boling on the line and he gets beat out by Cordy at LG then hope he can beat Hart out at RT it will be his only hope at starting.

Doesn't matter if you are a big body road grader if you don't have the technique or discipline ala Alex Redmond.

I will take a smaller, technically sound, disciplined Lineman over a big body road grader that committs penalties all game.

Boling was better then Glenn last season too, Boling should beat out every player on the Line at LG or RT. He is simply better then everyone, so he should start IF he is healthy and playing as such. Hope Hart improves but i am with the fellas concerned with seeing his name in the starting Lineup so much. Hart needs to improve big time, especially in pass blocking where Boling is really good.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2019, 03:02 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Doesn't matter if you are a big body road grader if you don't have the technique or discipline ala Alex Redmond.

I will take a smaller, technically sound, disciplined Lineman over a big body road grader that committs penalties all game.

Boling was better then Glenn last season too, Boling should beat out every player on the Line at LG or RT. He is simply better then everyone, so he should start IF he is healthy and playing as such. Hope Hart improves but i am with the fellas concerned with seeing his name in the starting Lineup so much. Hart needs to improve big time, especially in pass blocking where Boling is really good.
Maybe that's what I meant by unless the guy really sucks.... lol
Reply/Quote