Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boling retires
(07-16-2019, 05:51 PM)kdgjr Wrote: Interesting take from Doc...

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/blogs/daugherty-blog/2019/07/16/tml-reds-cubs-nl-central-standings-clint-boling-bengals-ol-uc-fb/1742992001/

THE COLUMN TODAY was on Bengals guard Clint Boling, who retired Monday after 8 rock-solid seasons here. I praised his Everyman craftsmanship and his ability to play hurt. Boling was an unsung component of MLewis’ playoff teams. He’s just 30, isn’t disabled, seems to have a clear head and made millions of dollars. Good for him.

Then I thought more about it.

He saw docs for leg pain a couple days after the season. They discovered a pulmonary embolism in one of his lungs a few days after that. Boling did his health homework and decided to retire for the sake of his family. All well and good.

Why did it take him from January to now to make that call?

Nothing changed for him physically. A lengthy bit of agonizing was expected. Seven months?

He went to minicamp, he had a year left on a five-year, $26 mil deal. He said how excited he was to learn a new system. And then he retired.

I’d never question Boling’s reasoning. It’s completely logical. Logic doesn’t always rule in pro sports. It shares a seat with emotion. Boling started every game the last two years. He has escaped serious injury, he’s just 30. No doc told him he couldn’t play this year.

With Jonah Williams out for the season, Boling would have been vital to this O-line, if only for his supreme professionalism. To retire 10 days before camp starts strikes me as odd.

I should have asked Boling this:

Was there anything you didn’t like about the new O-line coach? Anything that caused you to wonder if playing for Jim Turner would be worth the effort? Turner is a former Marine, who coaches like one. His methods have been questioned in the past. He’s never questioned himself. Being profanely berated might be OK for a rookie. For a guy in his 9th year?          

Regardless, Boling’s exit this close to camp leaves the team in a lurch. And I’m thinking a fast start for this new, inexperienced staff might be close to mandatory, to keep the veterans on board.

I said in This Space when Zac Taylor was hired that he needed to bring in some assistants who were veterans at their jobs. Shoulders Taylor could lean on. For whatever reason, he didn’t. And the Bengals are not the Rams. They would not and did not go heavily into the free-agent market. Is this roster any better than it was last July? Only if everyone stays healthy, and that simply doesn’t happen in the NFL. The O-line surely won’t be better.

And now a rock of the line has retired, healthy and just 30 years old.

What say you, Mobsters?
Sounds like some typical dick, pardon me, I mean doc, horseshit.   He is the local king of horseshit, after all.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(07-17-2019, 12:05 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: I was referring to players.  I know Turner is a questionable hire.  I think ZT felt comfortable with him.  We fans discussed both Turner and the DC hires.  It was not a pretty process.  I don't know why Pollack was not retained.  

In all fairness, ZT vouches for a questionable coach who is already bringing in questionable players.  It just seems a little early to declare this a high-character team suddenly.  I don't particularly care about a team's character, but I can see why the Turner hire and the Joe Mixon thing can be seen as not much of a "new dey" when viewed by others.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2019, 11:24 PM)samhain Wrote: I agree.  I don't agree about the paying part, at least not for a season or two.  They can afford to spend more money on this line, particularly after Boling being off of the books.  

Totally agree about the draft pick part.  I wouldn't give anything more than a 5th for him.  This team will likely have some pretty high draft picks in 2020, and giving any up at this point would be insanity.  

On the money part, it's not that they can't afford to pay Trent Williams, it's that it's a horrible deal.  The guy is 31, hasn't completed a season in 5 years due to injuries.  He already makes upper echelon money for part time participation, and has already made it clear that he wants top tier money.  

From where I stand, it appears that Trent Williams is really just looking for a guaranteed cash payout, so that he can get injured again and retire with his jackpot.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Sucks to lose Boling but blood clots are nothing to mess with. I wish him well.

Hopefully the Bengals can use some of that extra money for another Tackle. They have to make a trade or something
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2019, 07:51 PM)Kingslayer Wrote: Sucks to lose Boling but blood clots are nothing to mess with.  I wish him well.  

Hopefully the Bengals can use some of that extra money for another Tackle.  They have to make a trade or something

They do?
Reply/Quote
(07-15-2019, 01:29 PM)Millhouse Wrote: per twitter

First of all. Sorry guys my computer was obsolete and had to get a new one lol

Been off line for awhile and missed you dudes. Sad 

Boling i heard retired last week on here but was so busy and don't like posting on my phone much.

With Jonah out and Boling retiring i am just hoping Glenn and Price can improve their game from last year. I like Westerman from everything i have watched so i am not completely down on the Line like i have been. Boling was a very underrated Guard and versatile Lineman though. We will see how it goes.

Wasted
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2019, 07:37 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: On the money part, it's not that they can't afford to pay Trent Williams, it's that it's a horrible deal.  The guy is 31, hasn't completed a season in 5 years due to injuries.  He already makes upper echelon money for part time participation, and has already made it clear that he wants top tier money.  

From where I stand, it appears that Trent Williams is really just looking for a guaranteed cash payout, so that he can get injured again and retire with his jackpot.

We already have 1 heavily paid OT that cant stay healthy why get 2 lol
Reply/Quote
Omg I sure hope so
This blows.

(07-15-2019, 02:10 PM)Au165 Wrote: I think the Bengals will be on the look out for a veteran cut during training camp
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2019, 08:59 PM)Nately120 Wrote: They do?

Yep. Free agency shows we aren't going to go all in.

I've said it before and I'll say it again...when you sign Bobby Hart to be your starting RT despite all of the evidence that he's a bad starting Tackle...you're kind of waiving the white flag.
Reply/Quote