Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boling starts at LT, Westerman at LG
(12-24-2017, 06:51 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Huh... The changes worked. Who would have thought??

LOL

Detroit isn't exactly a defensive juggernaut.  So, meh on the changes "working".
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2017, 09:36 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: Not the biggest test but it was impressive (even if they did give up some sacks). Should've been trying things like this and keeping more OL all year. Keeping 7 WRs was a joke, even if Tobin did make Lewis draft John Ross. I mean would anything have really been lost if we cut Cody Core or even Josh Malone? Would anyone have picked them up so they wouldn't be there if we needed them?

Why not get rid of Laffell instead.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2017, 12:36 AM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Why not get rid of Laffell instead.

Because, even in a decidedly off year for offensive production, he's been reliable for 50 catches this season.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2017, 12:57 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Because, even in a decidedly off year for offensive production, he's been reliable for 50 catches this season.

49 catches for 513 yards is 10.4 yards per a catch. Not good enough for an outside WR in today's NFL.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2017, 01:15 AM)Jakeypoo Wrote: 49 catches for 513 yards is 10.4 yards per a catch. Not good enough for an outside WR in today's NFL.

Agree to disagree. I've been very happy with Lafell this season and last. He's made catches when it counts (reminds me of Marvin Jones in that respect), has stayed healthy, and I don't think there have been any INTs bouncing off his hands. Obviously he isn't a star like AJ, but even AJ wasn't blowing me away this year. Kind of hard to be productive when the QB is getting knocked down all the time. And there is a lot of rotation going on so that is going to cut into your numbers. 

But yeah if the choice is to keep two of Malone, Core, and Lafell, I think Lafell and Malone is probably the right answer. 

Reply/Quote
(12-25-2017, 01:15 AM)Jakeypoo Wrote: 49 catches for 513 yards is 10.4 yards per a catch. Not good enough for an outside WR in today's NFL.

Be that as it may, it's your opinion.  I've got no problem with Lafell being on the team this year.  He's done what was asked of him.  The real problems with this team have much less to do with who is catching footballs than who is running the show.  

The blocking has been terrible, causing the entire offense to only be effective in limited spurts.  Sure, you can pin the blame on the QB, or the OL, or the coaching, or even the same on the defensive side of the ball.  In my opinion, the blame lies on the Management of the team.  There are many fingers to point, in regard to the Bengals failures this season, but Brandon Lafell isn't one of them.  

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
LaFell has been one of the most productive receivers for us this year, so yeah, let's hate on him..... sad really.
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2017, 01:40 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Be that as it may, it's your opinion.  I've got no problem with Lafell being on the team this year.  He's done what was asked of him.  The real problems with this team have much less to do with who is catching footballs than who is running the show.  

The blocking has been terrible, causing the entire offense to only be effective in limited spurts.  Sure, you can pin the blame on the QB, or the OL, or the coaching, or even the same on the defensive side of the ball.  In my opinion, the blame lies on the Management of the team.  There are many fingers to point, in regard to the Bengals failures this season, but Brandon Lafell isn't one of them.  
While I agree that there are far more pressing needs for improvement.

We either need better play from our #2 WR or some of these other guys need to improve.

Lafell is not terrible by any means but he also should be a #3 not a #2 WR.

This team has been searching for that second option at the wide receiver position for quite a while.

Nobody seems to fit that bill currently in my opinion.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2017, 11:52 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: While I agree that there are far more pressing needs for improvement.

We either need better play from our #2 WR or some of these other guys need to improve.

Lafell is not terrible by any means but he also should be a #3 not a #2 WR.

This team has been searching for that second option at the wide receiver position for quite a while.

Nobody seems to fit that bill currently in my opinion.

I feel good about Josh Malone growing into that WR2 spot.  Despite not seeing extensive action, he showed some good stuff at times this year.  If they can ever get "whatever" figured out with Ross, continue to incorporate Ericson into the mix, we should be looking really good at the WR position.

I could even support going after a top TE, before going all out for another WR.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2017, 12:09 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I feel good about Josh Malone growing into that WR2 spot.  Despite not seeing extensive action, he showed some good stuff at times this year.  If they can ever get "whatever" figured out with Ross, continue to incorporate Ericson into the mix, we should be looking really good at the WR position.

I could even support going after a top TE, before going all out for another WR.

These WR "issues" could be fixed by better coaching.

Just watching a Steelers game should show you what these WRs should be doing.

Not giving up on routes.  Extending busted plays.

Those things have been shortcomings of our WRs for many seasons.

It's a real.  I just don't understand how a coach that watches so much of his rivals film cannot see it.
Reply/Quote
LaFell isn't a legit #2 by any means. He creates no separation on most plays and just isn't that good. I don't care about 500 yards, watch the game replay coach cam.
Reply/Quote
So many of Lafell's touches are manufactured. Stupid screens and bubbles that go nowhere.
Reply/Quote
First off Merry Christmas to all. Getting ready to travel for a big family dinner.

Secondly, if you put any stock into PFF then Boling had a terrible day, while the 2 replacements not mentioned in the OP balled out. PFF ratings:

LT CLINT BOLING, 39.9 OVERALL GRADE
Boling is not the solution at left tackle for the Bengals anytime soon. He allowed a sack, a hit, and two pressures on the day along with a handful of other losses in pass protection.

G ALEX REDMOND, 84.2 OVERALL GRADE
In the most extended action of Redmond’s young career, the second-year guard impressed. He rotated in on 48 snaps and didn’t allow a single pressure. Redmond was also the highest-graded run blocker on the Bengals’ offensive

T Eric Winston, 83.8 overall grade
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-25-2017, 12:24 PM)CornerBlitz Wrote: LaFell isn't a legit #2 by any means. He creates no separation on most plays and just isn't that good. I don't care about 500 yards, watch the game replay coach cam.

Even on the pass interference play he should have kept playing and ran down field.

At least give your QB a chance to throw a pass on a free play when he's rolling out.
Reply/Quote