Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bombings in the NYC area
So there have been a series of bombings in the NYC area over the weekend. A devise exploded Saturday morning at a Marine charity run in NJ. It was timed to go off at the start of the race; luckily more people than planned signed up and the start was delayed.

Then Saturday evening a device was detonated in an area frequented by diners and shoppers. This device injured 29. A "possible secondary device" was found a few blocks away.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/17/us/nj-explosive-trash-can/

https://gma.yahoo.com/least-26-reported-injured-explosion-york-city-025721263--abc-news-topstories.html?hl=1&noRedirect=1

The always open-minded Mayor Bill deBlassio has already determined the NYC explosion(s) is not linked to terrorism or to the explosion in NJ. He has "condeemed" it as "a very bad incident".
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(09-18-2016, 12:51 PM)bfine32 Wrote: So there have been a series of bombings in the NYC area over the weekend. A devise exploded Saturday morning at a Marine charity run in NJ. It was timed to go off at the start of the race; luckily more people than planned signed up and the start was delayed.

Then Saturday evening a device was detonated in an area frequented by diners and shoppers. This device injured 29. A "possible secondary device" was found a few blocks away.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/17/us/nj-explosive-trash-can/

https://gma.yahoo.com/least-26-reported-injured-explosion-york-city-025721263--abc-news-topstories.html?hl=1&noRedirect=1

The always open-minded Mayor Bill deBlassio has already determined the NYC explosion(s) is not linked to terrorism or to the explosion in NJ. He has "condeemed" it as "a very bad incident".

And what has the always open minded Larry "Daniel Webster" Bfine determined it to be?  Perhaps the man who is in charge of the city knows more about them that you do...but then if you didn't question everyone who had an opinion different than your why would you post here at all?

As to the explosions:

I've always maintained that small attacks like these would be better at causing true "terror" vs the big one time events.  Even if there are no deaths there is a fear created that no one is really safe if the terrorists are going to just randomly blow things up.

I'd even offer up the guess that telling people it is NOT terror related does more good as it stops panic and accusations directed at random citizens by those who would like to freelance protect this country.

I guess we'll have to wait and see.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Trump supporters generating more fear, possibly ?
Nervous
I assume arrest warrants have been issued since the only way to know it wasn't terrorists is to know who did it.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

https://gma.yahoo.com/authorities-high-alert-multiple-explosive-devices-found-nyc-102914938--abc-news-topstories.html#

Reports that all incidents were related and a person of Afghan decent is a "person of interest". But the man in charge of the city stated it is not terror nnor are they related; so best to just move along.

Why would you try to deem it "not terror related" that soon? Stupid.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Awesome job by the authorities for getting him so soon. I was watching the news an hour ago and he was still at large.

(09-19-2016, 12:38 PM)bfine32 Wrote: https://gma.yahoo.com/authorities-high-alert-multiple-explosive-devices-found-nyc-102914938--abc-news-topstories.html#

Reports that all incidents were related and a person of Afghan decent is a "person of interest".  But the man in charge of the city stated it is not terror nnor are they related; so best to just move along.

[Image: sharkattack01.jpg?v=1423279558]

I'd take your passive aggressive posts about terrorism more seriously if you could admit times you were wrong about it.

As to the bombings I still maintain telling people NOT to panic is better than running around screaming there are terrorists running rampant in the state.

But then I tend to think about the bigger picture and not just if we can start blaming anyone with a funny name again.  Even if they did do it.
(09-19-2016, 12:44 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Why would you try to deem it "not terror related" that soon? Stupid.

I think it was to keep people calm and to stop vigilantism from rearing up.  Others may think it's because of political correctness and rampant liberalism.
(09-19-2016, 12:47 PM)GMDino Wrote: I think it was to keep people calm and to stop vigilantism from rearing up.  Others may think it's because of political correctness and rampant liberalism.

I get not wanting chaos, and de Blasio certainly left it open, but you can at least say something like "there's no imminent threat, and currently not enough information to make a call on motive or whether or not it is connected to the events in NJ". 

I don't think that would cause any more vigilantism. 

(09-19-2016, 12:57 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I get not wanting chaos, and de Blasio certainly left it open, but you can at least say something like "there's no imminent threat, and currently not enough information to make a call on motive or whether or not it is connected to the events in NJ". 

I don't think that would cause any more vigilantism. 

He could have said it better.  Anything short of calling for the killing of Afghan families though is seen as weak.
(09-18-2016, 02:01 PM)GMDino Wrote: And what has the always open minded Larry "Daniel Webster" Bfine determined it to be?  Perhaps the man who is in charge of the city knows more about them that you do...but then if you didn't question everyone who had an opinion different than your why would you post here at all?

(09-19-2016, 12:46 PM)GMDino Wrote: [Image: sharkattack01.jpg?v=1423279558]

Direct questions are not snark.

I also commented on the topic of the post with my own views.

Please refrain from posts that are just personal attacks.  Thanks.
(09-19-2016, 12:58 PM)GMDino Wrote: He could have said it better.  Anything short of calling for the killing of Afghan families though is seen as weak.

Seeing as he was completely wrong, I guess so.

“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Looks like they just captured the guy alive after a gun fight. No one killed thankfully. http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/19/us/new-york-explosion-investigation/index.html

His name is Billy Sam Gibson, and was a devout southern Baptist his whole life. He is....hahaha just kidding.

His name is actually, let me copy n paste this, Ahmad Khan Rahami. Brief excerpt below from NY Times.

"Mr. Rahami was born on Jan. 23, 1988, in Afghanistan. He was described as a naturalized citizen who had been living with his family in Elizabeth, not far from where he was arrested. Associates said that several years ago Mr. Rahami traveled to his homeland and when he returned, he showed signs of radicalization. The significance of the visit was not immediately clear. It was not known whether he had any links to an overseas terror organization, or whether he had been inspired by such organizations and their propaganda efforts, as others have been." - http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/20/nyregion/nyc-nj-explosions-ahmad-khan-rahami.html?_r=0
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Well that solves that.

In other news, good thing for an off duty cop carrying his gun with him in a "Gun Free Zone" at Crossroads Mall in Minnesota.

A young Somali man dressed as a private security guard entered the Crossroads Center mall over the weekend wielding what appeared to be a kitchen knife. The city's police chief said the man reportedly made at least one reference to Allah and asked a victim if he or she was Muslim before attacking. The rampage ended when the man was shot dead by an off-duty police officer. None of the injured suffered life-threatening wounds.

The motive is still unclear, but FBI Special Agent-in-Charge Rick Thornton said Sunday the stabbings were being investigated as a "potential act of terrorism," and the Islamic State claimed responsibility. Authorities were digging into the attacker's background and possible motives, looking at social media accounts, his electronic devices and talking to his associates, Thornton said.

Anderson earlier said the man reportedly made at least one reference to Allah and asked a victim if he or she was Muslim before attacking them. An Islamic State-run news agency, Rasd, claimed Sunday that the attacker was a "soldier of the Islamic State" who had heeded the group's calls for attacks in countries that are part of a U.S.-led anti-IS coalition.

But we're not sure if this was an act of terrorism or not.......

So what was the reasoning for the attacks this weekend?
Retaliation for our heavy bombing of Raqqa? or something else?
(09-19-2016, 02:27 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Seeing as he was completely wrong, I guess so.

I have several friends how reside in NYC, without exception they all state the quality of life in the city has gone down the crapper since Deblasio took over.

(09-19-2016, 03:18 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Looks like they just captured the guy alive after a gun fight. No one killed thankfully. http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/19/us/new-york-explosion-investigation/index.html

I hope the protestors will be out in full force to protest this latest egregious example of law enforcement's use of deadly force.  They guy is a good person, he just made a mistake.  He's turning his life around and didn't deserve to be shot.
(09-19-2016, 04:06 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I have several friends how reside in NYC, without exception they all state the quality of life in the city has gone down the crapper since Deblasio took over.

I hope the protestors will be out in full force to protest this latest egregious example of law enforcement's use of deadly force.  They guy is a good person, he just made a mistake.  He's turning his life around and didn't deserve to be shot.

Yeah this guy isn't your Ed Koch liberal, and certainly doesn't have the personality of Koch where even your everyday conservative liked the guy.  And I doubt educated New York liberals like being treated like they are complete morons.

(09-19-2016, 04:04 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Well that solves that.

In other news, good thing for an off duty cop carrying his gun with him in a "Gun Free Zone" at Crossroads Mall in Minnesota.

A young Somali man dressed as a private security guard entered the Crossroads Center mall over the weekend wielding what appeared to be a kitchen knife. The city's police chief said the man reportedly made at least one reference to Allah and asked a victim if he or she was Muslim before attacking. The rampage ended when the man was shot dead by an off-duty police officer. None of the injured suffered life-threatening wounds.

The motive is still unclear, but FBI Special Agent-in-Charge Rick Thornton said Sunday the stabbings were being investigated as a "potential act of terrorism," and the Islamic State claimed responsibility. Authorities were digging into the attacker's background and possible motives, looking at social media accounts, his electronic devices and talking to his associates, Thornton said.

Anderson earlier said the man reportedly made at least one reference to Allah and asked a victim if he or she was Muslim before attacking them. An Islamic State-run news agency, Rasd, claimed Sunday that the attacker was a "soldier of the Islamic State" who had heeded the group's calls for attacks in countries that are part of a U.S.-led anti-IS coalition.

Well I think DeBlasio can safely say the mall attack in Minn. was not an act of terrorism.

I've heard that the NYC attacks may have something to do with a planned meeting of the UN. Not sure about the Minn. attack; although, I would be surprised if those are connected

(09-19-2016, 04:04 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Well that solves that.

Just like I'd rather de Blasio not say the NY bombings weren't terrorism, I don't want them jumping to conclusions and saying it was ISIS.

Can't see anything wrong with them saying "potential act of terrorism".