Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boogaloo member who entered Raleigh restaurant with a gun now accused in Hamas plot
(09-08-2020, 08:23 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: You're actually highlighting one of the reasons that many leaders I know in the black community have a lot of problems with the organization. They view BLM much like they view Shaun King, that they are profiting off of tragedy and something much more important to the communities of people of color. However, these leaders also know that bringing this controversy to the floor, so to speak, will provide an opening for division to be sewn and risk even more harm to the overall movement.

I'm truly happy that your experience in this regard closely mirrors my own.  A very large percentage of the black people I know well have expressed similar sentiments.  I know I've previously mentioned the officer who was under my supervision until recently (we both left to different assignments, nothing bad), and she's stated almost verbatim what you mention here.  Shaun King is an utterly horrible human being, a race grifter extraordinaire.  I am pleased that he is finally being, largely, recognized as the race baiting conman he is.

As to your last point, yes, that makes a lot of sense.  That kind of division would be Trump campaign fodder.  I would have to say that after the election, regardless of the result, it's time to rip that band-aid off, the ultimate cause will be far better off for it in the long run.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2020, 08:40 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Well to be fair; they've already put all that work into making the signs. 

I know this was tongue in cheek, but Bel's description of the problem is spot on, IMO.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2020, 09:10 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I know this was tongue in cheek, but Bel's description of the problem is spot on, IMO.

Sad, but most likely true. 

Of course it makes it much more difficult to condemn the BLM organization. When folks know your opposition has merit but fail to agree with it because of association, 

It's kinda like the relationship between the peaceful and violent protestors. I for one am going to call bullshit when I see it.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2020, 08:00 PM)bfine32 Wrote: It really is that simple. If you disagree with the basic principles of an organization the separate yourself from it. 

That is simple to say, but not as simple to do.  For example I know people who are Pro-choice but still vote for Republicans and who are Pro-life but vote Democrat.  

You call the BLM positions on families and capitalism "basic principles", but most people don't see it that way.  Instead they see a group fighting against racial injustice.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2020, 04:02 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Well the Black Lives Matters mission statement calls for the abolishment of capitalism and the nuclear family.  I'd say that's pretty far left.

Where does BLM call for this?

Here is part of their mission statement.

We make our spaces family-friendly and enable parents to fully participate with their children. We dismantle the patriarchal practice that requires mothers to work “double shifts” so that they can mother in private even as they participate in public justice work.

We disrupt the Western-prescribed nuclear family structure requirement by supporting each other as extended families and “villages” that collectively care for one anothe
r, especially our children, to the degree that mothers, parents, and children are comfortable.

Is that what you mean by "abolishment of . . . the nuclear family"?
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2020, 05:17 PM)Dill Wrote: Is that what you mean by "abolishment of . . . the nuclear family"?

If they plan on abolishing those TLC shows about people who have like a zillion kids, I'm all for it.
Reply/Quote