Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Injuries Vs. Wins (Our Injuries are Overstated)
Everybody keeps hollering depth, and I don't disagree depth is very important and something we're clearly lacking. Hell we're lacking starters, anyways.

Rarely are teams going to have 22 all world 2nd stringers. You're inevitably going to have weak spots, usually several. And it comes down to coaching. Change the scheme up, playcalling, different game plan.

If you #1 CB is out and your best backup is sick and your stuck with a guy with little to no experience you have to go to plan B. You can't run the XYZ defense now you have to be able to adapt and we've pretty much sucked with any ability to adapt.

In my mind our "injury excuse" is way overblown the majority of the time. Every team has to deal with injuries nearly every season.

It comes down to be able to coach around it and we've failed miserably at it.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2021, 03:59 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I just came across this on Twitter, and I thought it was interesting.  Here is chart that shows the total amount of games missed (left to right) and the win total (up and down).

[Image: Eqgz2f7WMAYK7OQ?format=png&name=small]

I can't exactly make out who had more injuries between us and teams like Tampa and Buffalo, as they're too close on the graph.  But I think we can all agree they're comparable in number.

Here are the teams who had less total injuries than us: Atlanta, Miami, Los Angeles, Indy, Arizona, Houston, Pittsburgh.

Here are the teams who had a comparable amount of injuries: Cincinnati, Buffalo, and Tampa.

That leaves the remaining 22 teams with more games missed due to injury than us. 

I've seen quite a few people compare our situation to San Fran.  You might want to rethink that (look at them on graph).  They had over 300 missed games due to injury whereas we had around 125.

I've long held the belief that our injury situation is completely overstated by some who look for reasons to defend our lack of success.  This seems to illustrate my point rather well.

(01-05-2021, 04:05 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Look at everything Joe Judge had to deal with in the shit show that is the NY Giants...yet he managed to win as many games in his rookie year that Zac has won in 2. Is it it just a coincidence that every single coach hired with and since Zac has better win %?

Exactly! The excuse parade for Zac Taylor is a mile long and none of them are valid except maybe that the Bengals Front Office is one of the worst around. Still, Marvin overcame that. Zac just has excuse after excuse, which is a very bad indicator for the future.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-06-2021, 08:51 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Look at what Mike Zimmer produced here from 2009-2013.  He took a defense that wasn't exactly filled with high round talent, nor high priced free agents, and turned them into one of the better defenses in the league.

Coaching matters.  Scheme matters.  Playcalling matters.  Development, rotation, relationships, ect. etc. etc.

Speaking of Zim, did he get canned? 

He might be our only hope if he does, we might actually move on from Taylor for Zim I think.
Reply/Quote