Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boomer: 'There's no head coaching candidate on the staff'
(11-20-2017, 12:11 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: You're probably right.

However Marvin is not firing anyone from the current staff.

Only not hiring them.

Big difference in Mike Brown's book IMO.

At any rate it's probably Marvin's way or he leaves is what I'm alluding to.

Yeah. They'll announce that Marvin retires and the new coach gets to hire an entire new staff.

Kind of a win-win for the Bengals and Marvin. Mike Brown doesn't have to admit that Marvin was a bad hire. Marvin retires and isn't fired.

Although, I think Guenther gets made the coach.
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2017, 02:18 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: And I'll be shocked beyond belief if MB agrees to the sweeping change that is needed to fix this train wreck. Moving on from PA, basically wholesale change to coaching staff - letting new HC pick staff. Being active in free agency to fix O-line. Etc

Have you ever met an 82 year old man who liked the idea of change at all, much less "sweeping change?"
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2017, 02:08 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Yeah, it was. 

The one thing I disagree with Boomer about is the ownership 'wanting' change. I've seen nothing to indicate that's the case. If Marvin does retire or simply doesn't want to return, then obviously it forces a change...but if he wants to come back, I'm not convinced Mike wouldn't do it.

Didn't he say wanting growth?
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2017, 05:06 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I was so stoked about the guy back in 2003, when I was only 22 years old. If you would've told me he'd be around til I was 37...without winning a single damn playoff game, I probably would've looked for a new team immediately.

That's probably one of the biggest hits for those who have been fans through then.

I was stoked when Marvin came in. Who wouldn't be? If players were an extension of coaches, I expected to see some excitement that hadn't been around in a long time because the Ravens D was pretty exciting. And we sort of got headed that direction on offense and ... we stopped. Like a brick wall. The offense fell apart and the defense never really was the brand Marvin had in Baltimore. Zimmer did outstanding for a few years with a hodge podge of players, but it wasn't the hype a lot of us bought into when Marvin signed on.

I'm hoping whoever we go with next, we clean house. Top to bottom. We had a decent few years, but that was the best Marvin could muster. Decent.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2017, 01:38 AM)Benton Wrote: That's probably one of the biggest hits for those who have been fans through then.

I was stoked when Marvin came in. Who wouldn't be? If players were an extension of coaches, I expected to see some excitement that hadn't been around in a long time because the Ravens D was pretty exciting. And we sort of got headed that direction on offense and ... we stopped. Like a brick wall. The offense fell apart and the defense never really was the brand Marvin had in Baltimore. Zimmer did outstanding for a few years with a hodge podge of players, but it wasn't the hype a lot of us bought into when Marvin signed on.

I'm hoping whoever we go with next, we clean house. Top to bottom. We had a decent few years, but that was the best Marvin could muster. Decent.

Funny, Marvin pretty much peaked 
instantly. We were all so excited to be on the cusp of contention (8-8) that year. Little did we know that Marv would never get much further than "the cusp" for 15 agonizing years.

We started hot, let the line fall apart and repeated that process with reboot 2.0. Fwiw, I also can't help but feel PA's lines have hindered our offenses for the last 12 years or so. We've never been able to dominate any good teams running the ball.

It's to the point where I think a lot of us are used to it and don't realize how weak it's been. Seriously, when is the last time we lined up and smashed the ball down a good team's throat for 150+ yards? It's probably happened less than 10 times in the last 10 years. Shoot, the top teams AVERAGE around 150 yards.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2017, 12:16 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Have you ever met an 82 year old man who liked the idea of change at all, much less "sweeping change?"

Ikr. I have no idea where everyone keeps getting this idea of sweeping changes at. That's happened how many times in the past 15+ years (and really, in general)? For a man that loathes change so much, asking him to do wholesale changes is setting yourself up for failure. It's just not going to happen. 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2017, 05:47 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: 30 years ago, I was 18 as I watched the Bengals lose their second Superbowl of my lifetime, a heartbreaker at that.  If someone could have told me that in the next 30 years, they would never make it back to the Championship game, I would have never believed them.

How about the fact that the Aints and the Yuccaneers have WON a Super Bowl each since then......since we've last won a playoff game.  I would have never believed that in 1988.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-20-2017, 11:11 AM)Wyche Wrote: How about the fact that the Aints and the Yuccaneers have WON a Super Bowl each since then......since we've last won a playoff game.  I would have never believed that in 1988.

Not to mention the idea all 3 NFL teams that came into existence since we last won a playoff game have had more/much more post-season success than us (not counting the expansion Browns).
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2017, 02:07 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I'm not sure if it's for the same reason but I fully agree. There's no way I want to see an inside promotion to HC. And I really hope he's right about Marvin retiring !

I've asked myself many times over the last several seasons when is Marvin going to throw in the towel ?

If marvin is "throwing in the towel" our future is bleak

But I think he was eyeballing retiring around now regaurdless as they had talked to hue about a succession plan   and you don't do that if your planning on staying
Reply/Quote
I still stand by my pre-season prediction that, playoffs or no playoffs, Marvin retires at the end of the season, and is bumped upstairs in the organization (GM?). I believe that 'gentlemen's agreement' was made when it was announced he was not getting an extension. I have nothing to back that up, but knowing the people involved, it seems to make sense to me.

Also, if that does happen, and assuming they go outside the organization, NO new coach would agree to take the job if they don't have complete control over hiring their own coaches.... Not that I see any indication that MB considers any of the present coaches untouchable anyway.

Contrary to some, I really think there's going to be a lot to look forward to.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2017, 01:51 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Funny, Marvin pretty much peaked 
instantly. We were all so excited to be on the cusp of contention (8-8) that year. Little did we know that Marv would never get much further than "the cusp" for 15 agonizing years.

We started hot, let the line fall apart and repeated that process with reboot 2.0. Fwiw, I also can't help but feel PA's lines have hindered our offenses for the last 12 years or so. We've never been able to dominate any good teams running the ball.

It's to the point where I think a lot of us are used to it and don't realize how weak it's been. Seriously, when is the last time we lined up and smashed the ball down a good team's throat for 150+ yards? It's probably happened less than 10 times in the last 10 years. Shoot, the top teams AVERAGE around 150 yards.

The last time I felt comfortable that we could run it when we wanted to was Rudi. Not that we dominated or that Rudi was averaging 5 ypc or anything, but if we needed to go out and get four yards for a first, Rudi and the line would go out and get four yards. If we needed to chew up some clock, they would stay on the positive side of yardage.

These days, it's like the option of possession and working the clock are off the table because you don't know when they're going backwards or getting a dumb penalty.
Reply/Quote