Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Boomer sees greatness in Burrow
(01-29-2020, 11:22 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I like the Patrick Mahomes comparison much better myself.

A closer comparison might be former 1st overall pick Alex Smith.
Smith, coming out of Utah, had it all except for a questionable arm and playing in an Urban Meyer offense.
Highly accurate, intelligent, calm demeanor, ability to scramble when needed.
Difference for Burrow is that he got to play in a pro offense before entering the draft, which puts him above Smith as a prospect IMO.
And Burrow is also criticized for not having an elite arm, but I think it's just above what Smith's was.

I realize Smith isn't identical to Burrow, but he seems rather close (to me anyway).
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Love it. On another note, could the mothership hire a proofreading editor for Hobson? I could barely get through that article.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2020, 10:36 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: No he's not.

He had a fine ROOKIE season, with an absolutely shit team around him (aside from Barkley and 2 really good guards).

The only real issue he had was fumbles (where he was reprehensibly bad).

If he was a 5th year player and he played like he did, I'd agree, but Jones looked very good for most of his starts (FTR, I'm not a fan of him or where he was picked).

I love where he was picked... We don't get get a potential starting LT if they don't reach for him. The Raiders taking Ferrell helped too.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Boomer was a real leader and an OC on the field. I see Burrow as that kind of guy. Ive felt all along that he reminds me a bit of Boomer, especially his swagger and desire to win.
Reply/Quote
I really hope Burrow is the Steeler killer we've been waiting on for a while now... I'm so sick of that franchise.
"Whose kitty litter did I just s*** in?"

"He got Ajax from the dish soap!"
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2020, 08:59 PM)Daotherbengaltigers Wrote: Getting the first overall pic is about to pay off for you guys! This guy is special on the football field. He is tenacious, smart, more athletic than you would think... all the intangibles you want at the most important position on the field. His last year at LSU will be talked about for years! I truly believe he will be great at the next level. I know Bengal fans are familiar with great QBs (Palmer, Anderson, Esiason). Joe just might pass them all up!

Welcome aboard Sir.

Boomer seems to think that might be a possibility.   I'm one of the converted.  I wanted Young.  The championship game sealed it for me.
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2020, 08:59 PM)Daotherbengaltigers Wrote: Getting the first overall pic is about to pay off for you guys! This guy is special on the football field. He is tenacious, smart, more athletic than you would think... all the intangibles you want at the most important position on the field. His last year at LSU will be talked about for years! I truly believe he will be great at the next level. I know Bengal fans are familiar with great QBs (Palmer, Anderson, Esiason). Joe just might pass them all up!

Well now that you're a semi eligible Cincinnati Bengal fan you need to know the team owner is the single greatest football mind of the 13th century..Well, maybe the 12th, but who's counting?
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2020, 10:54 AM)ochocincos Wrote: A closer comparison might be former 1st overall pick Alex Smith.
Smith, coming out of Utah, had it all except for a questionable arm and playing in an Urban Meyer offense.
Highly accurate, intelligent, calm demeanor, ability to scramble when needed.
Difference for Burrow is that he got to play in a pro offense before entering the draft, which puts him above Smith as a prospect IMO.
And Burrow is also criticized for not having an elite arm, but I think it's just above what Smith's was.

I realize Smith isn't identical to Burrow, but he seems rather close (to me anyway).

Guess I could see that. Hmm
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2020, 01:04 PM)bengaloo Wrote: Boomer was a real leader and an OC on the field. I see Burrow as that kind of guy. Ive felt all along that he reminds me a bit of Boomer, especially his swagger and desire to win.

That’s exactly how Dave Aranda (former LSU DC) described Burrow on a radio interview I was listening to the other night.

Reply/Quote
I hope he has the same play action skills Boomer had. He was one of the best at faking to a running back..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
there is only one patrick mahomes, i would take the bet he is not close to that kid. hopefully i'm wrong. even if so, mahomes on this team would probably have had trouble making the playoffs.

i'd be fine if he was boomer, boomer took a bungles team to the superbowl.

We have to remember he is a  23 year old who had one good year, and 23 is when QBs supposedly make an 'improvement". You could argue he was playing against kids out there sometimes lol. 23 and 18. One of those people is likely intellectually superior.
Reply/Quote
also another good reply to this would be:
"OK Boomer"
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2020, 09:09 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: there is only one patrick mahomes, i would take the bet he is not close to that kid. hopefully i'm wrong. even if so, mahomes on this team would probably have had trouble making the playoffs.

i'd be fine if he was boomer, boomer took a bungles team to the superbowl.

We have to remember he is a  23 year old who had one good year, and 23 is when QBs supposedly make an 'improvement". You could argue he was playing against kids out there sometimes lol. 23 and 18. One of those people is likely intellectually superior.

(01-31-2020, 09:13 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: also another good reply to this would be:
"OK Boomer"

You wanna shut up with this snark and negativity?

If Mahomes was on this team, we'd absolutely make the playoffs.

And Boomer's teams were stacked, with excellent coaching to boot.

Stop it.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2020, 10:03 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: You wanna shut up with this snark and negativity?

Stop it.

I get really tired of hearing the same old narratives being parroted time and again. "He's 23" you'd think he's 35. I guess all the QB's that played in the 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's were all over the hill because they normally stayed in school 4 years.

"He's a one year wonder" no he's not

"He was playing against kids" He handily defeated some of the best D's in college football. And not only beat them, carved them up !

"He has a weak arm" Ok so he's not John Elway, neither was Joe Montana

"He's only good because of Joe Brady" LOL
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2020, 10:33 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I get really tired of hearing the same old narratives being parroted time and again. "He's 23" you'd think he's 35. I guess all the QB's that played in the 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's were all over the hill because they normally stayed in school 4 years.

"He was playing against kids" He handily defeated some of the best D's in college football. And not only beat them, carved them up !

You forgot his “great OL”

Reply/Quote
(01-31-2020, 10:03 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: You wanna shut up with this snark and negativity?

Stop it.

No, you wanna shut up with being rude? I didn't call you out on anything. I called the comparison to Mahomes, blasphemous, to put it in SAS words. Why? Is thre another QB in the league comparedto Mahomes? is there a QB, in all of time, compared to him?

We're not talking supebowls we're talking skill. THis team is absolute junk, not sure how anyone could think we would have made playoffs with Mahomes for certainty. The thing certain is he is the only QB in the league that could have done it on this team.

Don't worry, coach taylor is that "Excellent coaching" you speak of and Burrow will win us multiple rings. You will have every excuse in the book for this guy. This franchise is the worst in all of sports (Not NFL).
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2020, 10:33 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I get really tired of hearing the same old narratives being parroted time and again. "He's 23" you'd think he's 35. I guess all the QB's that played in the 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's were all over the hill because they normally stayed in school 4 years.

23 and 18 is a huge difference, that's not 25 and 30.

How about I put it this way, is there  big difference between a 10 year old and 15 year old playing any sport? Lol. Seemingly you think 18 is hte magic number where it stops mattering. They may have the skill but there is no match for the intellectual, and that is normally what an older person has a (major) advantage of. 18 year olds are shell shocked. It wouldn't be mentioned if it didn't matter, would it? If age doesn't matter then I guess Trevor Lawrence won't improve at all in the next 3 years (since he's 20). I'm saying it's hard to judge when they're not on equal footing and the game has changed since the 50s lol. How many of those college players will not be pro that he's whipping up on? Yes, he's clearly better than the other QBs that are destined to be accountants.

If and (in my guesstimate when) he fails here, you will have excuses for not him, but somebody else. I want him drafted too but you need a dose or reality. I expect zero superbowls and a playoff win or two out of him in this franchise, but hope for different.

BTW 23 matters because statistically that's when QBs make a jump. It's hard to not form opinions off facts.

To put it another way, grab all first round draft picks that are 22. Then grab a random bunch of 18 year olds in college for them to play against. It's like red rover, there is a weak link, most of the competition he is playing against there is not going to make the NFL AND they are younger.

I'm not saying he won't be good I'm saying you're blinded if you think you know that for sure! And to not have bias to that opinion when you're a "bengals fan", frankly, is hilarious, given their history.

To compare mahomes though, who has no equal (does he?) in past NFL QBs or current with someone who didn't play a single NFL game is strange. That's definitely going out there in your hopes and dreams. YOu essentially say Andy Dalton is worth -10 wins or so. I wanted Andy gone too, but in no way is a single player other than a GOAT worth 10+ wins. This team has a lot going wrong all over the place.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2020, 02:24 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: No, you wanna shut up with being rude? I didn't call you out on anything. I called the comparison to Mahomes, blasphemous, to put it in SAS words. Why? Is thre another QB in the league comparedto Mahomes? is there a QB, in all of time, compared to him?

We're not talking supebowls we're talking skill. THis team is absolute junk, not sure how anyone could think we would have made playoffs with Mahomes for certainty. The thing certain is he is the only QB in the league that could have done it on this team.

Don't worry, coach taylor is that "Excellent coaching" you speak of and Burrow will win us multiple rings. You will have every excuse in the book for this guy. This franchise is the worst in all of sports (Not NFL).

They aren't even the worst in the NFL.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2020, 02:35 PM)jason Wrote: They aren't even the worst in the NFL.

Yay, #2 worst! We're all stuck here. Think an argument can't be made that we're the worst in all of sports? We should be in that category, unfortunately an argument can easily be made.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2020, 02:39 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Yay, #2 worst! We're all stuck here. Think an argument can't be made that we're the worst in all of sports? We should be in that category, unfortunately an argument can easily be made.

No one is stuck being a fan of any team.

Reply/Quote