Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boots
I have more shoes than I feel is necessary, and this is the fault of my wife. I end up almost always wearing a pair of hiking boots, though. Anyone else predominantly a boot wearer? What brands do you like? I used to buy Merrell hiking boots for years, but ended up with a pair of Danners that are now my go to. I'm currently looking at their work boots and hunting boots and wondering if anyone has experience with them.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
I got a pair of Merrills for the outdoors. Still have my cold weather Danners and Jungle boots from the Army. I had the Jungle boots resoled and removed the metal shank and aluminum punji pit protection. Makes ‘em a helluva lot more comfortable to ruck or patrol in. I met a guy who hiked the Appalachian Trail from end to end who recommended Keen. I’ll probably give them a try in the future.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 11:10 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: I have more shoes than I feel is necessary, and this is the fault of my wife. I end up almost always wearing a pair of hiking boots, though. Anyone else predominantly a boot wearer? What brands do you like? I used to buy Merrell hiking boots for years, but ended up with a pair of Danners that are now my go to. I'm currently looking at their work boots and hunting boots and wondering if anyone has experience with them.

Except for Army boots, I have always had an issue with boots that I've bought. Dr. thinks it was the glue under the cushion that would cause me bad infections on my feet. However, every job I've had required steel toed boots. One day I went to Walmart and bought a pair and had no issues. Not sure of the brand of the boot but I think it has a wolf on the top of the tongue. Anyways, they were very comfortable and by far my favorite boot ever.

(09-18-2020, 11:58 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I got a pair of Merrills for the outdoors. Still have my cold weather Danners and Jungle boots from the Army. 

I still have my Corcoran II's with the hiking sole from 30+ years ago. Have never been able to throw them out. No, I was not a paratrooper, but you could spit shine one hellova shine on those things. Well, until I learned the miracle of a light coat of mop & Glo. Mirror finish every time. Just had to strip them once in awhile or they would have a blue tint and start to crack.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
One of my Scouts liked his so much he named his kid Danner.

Along with Danner some of the better brands I've experienced are:

Rocky
Matterhorn
Bates

As to casual; I go with Merrel and Keen.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 12:11 PM)bfine32 Wrote: One of my Scouts liked his so much he named his kid Danner.

Along with Danner some of the better brands I've experienced are:

Rocky
Matterhorn
Bates

As to casual; I go with Merrel and Keen.

I had good experiences with Rockys when I was younger and have been looking hard at them, as well. I never had Danners until this pair and they definitely fit my feet extremely well. I have wide feet and one of my feet, the left one, has no arch to it, so finding shoes that fit is a pain in the ass.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 12:09 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Except for Army boots, I have always had an issue with boots that I've bought. Dr. thinks it was the glue under the cushion that would cause me bad infections on my feet. However, every job I've had required steel toed boots. One day I went to Walmart and bought a pair and had no issues. Not sure of the brand of the boot but I think it has a wolf on the top of the tongue. Anyways, they were very comfortable and by far my favorite boot ever.

I still have my Corcoran II's with the hiking sole from 30+ years ago. Have never been able to throw them out. No, I was not a paratrooper, but you could spit shine one hellova shine on those things. Well, until I learned the miracle of a light coat of mop & Glo. Mirror finish every time. Just had to strip them once in awhile or they would have a blue tint and start to crack.

I HATED wasting my time spit shining boots. HATED it. Lil’ hole in the wall place right outside Ft. Benning would shine them like glass for $6/pair. Money well spent.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 12:20 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I HATED wasting my time spit shining boots. HATED it. Lil’ hole in the wall place right outside Ft. Benning would shine them like glass for $6/pair. Money well spent.

I did too. It was like the biggest waste of time to me as a youngen, but had to be done. When I realized it took me 1 minute to polish both boots with mop & glo, that was like the best thing to me. 

Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 12:20 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I HATED wasting my time spit shining boots. HATED it. Lil’ hole in the wall place right outside Ft. Benning would shine them like glass for $6/pair. Money well spent.

I'm glad we didnt have to do that lol. It's funny they made us buy a boot shining kit anyway even though we never used it. I still have it somewhere never used...I did use and still use the sewing kit lol.

To the OP another very good American made work boot is Chippewas.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I found a pair of Merrills at a thrift store one time for $5 and wore them for years.

Also One time I was in a regular shoe store and saw a pair of hiking boots by Bass. I did not even know Bass made hiking boots, but they were lightweight leather so I bought them. Loved them. They lasted a long time.

I don't like big heavy leather hiking boots. I don't use them as work boots so I don't need steel toes or anything like that. I also I don't really do any cold weather hiking anymore so I like mesh that lets my feet breath.
Reply/Quote
My primary footwear (outside of work) for over 20 years has been light hiking boots from Hi-Tec. That might have to change though, as my current pair is close to its demise and they seem to have trimmed down their selection greatly.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 12:58 PM)Synric Wrote: I'm glad we didnt have to do that lol. It's funny they made us buy a boot shining kit anyway even though we never used it. I still have it somewhere never used...I did use and still use the sewing kit lol.

To the OP another very good American made work boot is Chippewas.

As useless as display only toiletries for room inspections.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 12:09 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I still have my Corcoran II's with the hiking sole from 30+ years ago. Have never been able to throw them out. No, I was not a paratrooper, but you could spit shine one hellova shine on those things. Well, until I learned the miracle of a light coat of mop & Glo. Mirror finish every time. Just had to strip them once in awhile or they would have a blue tint and start to crack.

Leather Luster

Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 12:14 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I had good experiences with Rockys when I was younger and have been looking hard at them, as well. I never had Danners until this pair and they definitely fit my feet extremely well. I have wide feet and one of my feet, the left one, has no arch to it, so finding shoes that fit is a pain in the ass.

We only wore them for cold weather. Personally was never a huge fan of Danners, but many were. I just didn't like the look. Matterhorn was the most worn and very comfy; I just liked the look of the Rocky

Reply/Quote
(09-19-2020, 03:29 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Leather Luster

I've heard of it, never used it. But I challenge you, if you have an old boot laying around, just take a damp cloth and clean it up, melt some Kiwi and apply. Rub it in, buff it out (Ralph Machio LOL ) and put a little Mop & Glo on a cotton cloth wrapped around two fingers and spread an even coat. If you get a few bubbles, just blow on it. Best friggen shine you will ever see.

HOWEVER - something I left out was that the commander caught wind of what we were doing and if your boot was too mirror finish? He would step on your toe and the mop and glo would spider crack. Not that it was against regulation, but he did it to let you know that he knew you took a shortcut. 

Reply/Quote
(09-19-2020, 04:38 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I've heard of it, never used it. But I challenge you, if you have an old boot laying around, just take a damp cloth and clean it up, melt some Kiwi and apply. Rub it in, buff it out (Ralph Machio LOL ) and put a little Mop & Glo on a cotton cloth wrapped around two fingers and spread an even coat. If you get a few bubbles, just blow on it. Best friggen shine you will ever see.

HOWEVER - something I left out was that the commander caught wind of what we were doing and if your boot was too mirror finish? He would step on your toe and the mop and glo would spider crack. Not that it was against regulation, but he did it to let you know that he knew you took a shortcut. 

I use Mop & Glo on dress shoes prior to weddings and funerals.

Learned it from a high school friend who went into the Air Force right after.
Reply/Quote
When I'm out working sloshing thru mud and manure, IMO you can't beat Keen. Comfortable, very long lasting. My casual boot is Wolverine.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2020, 01:23 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: I use Mop & Glo on dress shoes prior to weddings and funerals.

Learned it from a high school friend who went into the Air Force right after.

Sounds about right.

Reply/Quote
(09-24-2020, 11:39 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Sounds about right.

LOL Your being a turd. Army can't refrain from making fun of AF as Marines can't refrain from making fun of Navy. It's an inherited trait. Coast guard however sails on by laughing. Well, until the Girl Scouts rowing team realize they are about equal, then the competition will begin there as well. It will get so bad the Coast Guard starts making cookiies.

Reply/Quote
Had a pair of waterproof danners that were horrible. It was like wearing plastic bags on your feet. I threw them out after a couple of weeks they were so bad.

I used to have a hell of a time in the USMC with my feet falling apart. Until I found the secret of wearing dress socks under your boot socks. And the magical pair of CTEP jungle boots I had in Afghanland made it through with zero blisters and we covered many miles. Wish I knew the brand. I think they were Bates but not sure.

Last time I bought a pair for work I went over our shoe allowance price to get a pair of Carharts. I don’t like screwing around with shitty boots after my past experiences. So I tried on like 10 pair that day. It was a damn good investment. Probably the second most comfortable pair of boots I’ve ever had. Plus they were the only pair I saw in the store that day that were actually American made.
Reply/Quote
Anyone ever try Tecovas? I hear good things about them but I can’t justify paying that much for a pair of boots.
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote