Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Border Crossings On Pace For Two-Decade High
The LA Times is reporting that border crossings are on pace for a two-decade high because people see the end of the Trump administration has opened the border.

The LA Times is normally a left-leaning outlet, so it speaks volumes that they're criticizing Biden. I saw an article today (or maybe it was a video) that said that even some liberal news outlets are turning on Biden now. I haven't looked into it and obviously not all because some outlets will protect liberals to the bitter end, but it spoke loudly to me.

Trump was taking a stance on immigration, which Democrats don't seem to want to take a firm stance on real issues, especially with Biden as President, which the rest of the world seems to be seeing:

Quote:A lot of them think that now that Trump is gone, if they arrive with children it will be easy to cross into the United States,” said Gabriel Romero, a Franciscan priest who runs a shelter in southern Mexico that assisted about 6,000 migrants during January and February — compared with 4,000 all of last year.

“Easy” is an exaggeration, but there is some truth to the rumors.

When people are being apprehended, it seems like Biden has put nothing in place to handle all fo the immigrants:

Quote:“The system is just really overwhelmed right now,” said Leecia Welch, an attorney at the Oakland-based National Center for Youth Law who recently interviewed 20 unaccompanied minors held on the border.

One child hadn’t showered in six days, she said. Many said they were only allowed outside every few days, for 20 minutes.

The fact that unaccompanied minors are being allowed into the U.S. for the first time in months has helped fuel rumors that the border is open to children.

There's more in the article, but you get the idea.

Those seem like human rights violations when Trump was being bashed for separating children from their families, which Biden is still doing and much worse, so why is there no outcry? Why are people not calling Biden a ruthless animal?
Reply/Quote
Oh the horror. Thankfully my ancestors were never evil enough to go to America in search of a better life. Err wait never mind.

It’s not an easy situation to handle that’s for sure. He better not be separating families. I know there is plenty of unaccompanied minors.

Document them. And tax them. Plenty of Trump business will hire them. They already have in the past.

I would argue making some scared little kid with no adult taking care of them stay in Mexico is worse than abortion. But Epstein lived here so idk
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2021, 12:50 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: The LA Times is reporting that border crossings are on pace for a two-decade high because people see the end of the Trump administration has opened the border.

The LA Times is normally a left-leaning outlet, so it speaks volumes that they're criticizing Biden. I saw an article today (or maybe it was a video) that said that even some liberal news outlets are turning on Biden now. I haven't looked into it and obviously not all because some outlets will protect liberals to the bitter end, but it spoke loudly to me.

Trump was taking a stance on immigration, which Democrats don't seem to want to take a firm stance on real issues, especially with Biden as President, which the rest of the world seems to be seeing:

When people are being apprehended, it seems like Biden has put nothing in place to handle all fo the immigrants:

There's more in the article, but you get the idea.

Those seem like human rights violations when Trump was being bashed for separating children from their families, which Biden is still doing and much worse, so why is there no outcry? Why are people not calling Biden a ruthless animal?

So, a decades long problem of not enough resources to process the immigrants (something we talked about all throughout the past four years and back into Obama's time) as well as people selling false promises to these migrants so they can make money (capitalism baby!) is Biden's fault? When there hasn't really been any significant policy shift in the border policies other than allowing unaccompanied minors into the country? I mean, I read the entire article and that was the only discernible change in policy I could make out and the rest of the boost in border crossings was attributed to the perception, not reality that border policies had been loosened. In fact, they even talked to one woman that was sent back after being lied to by a smuggler because the Biden administration hadn't actually changed the policy.

As to your last bit, that's a lie. The Biden administration is not separating families that cross the border. They ended that policy.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
The right-wing media is to blame for this problem.

The ONLY people who claim that Biden and the Democrats in general are in favor of "open borders" are the ones repeating speaking points from the right-wing media.  NONE of the Democrats who have discussed immigration policy have proposed "open borders", but that is the speaking point used by the right wing media and spread by its followers.

So if any of these immigrants have been told they could get into the United States because of Biden's "open borders" policy they have heard it from the right-wing echo chamber.

The exact same thing happened with gun owners when Obama got elected.  There was a huge increase in gun purchases because a lot of people fell for the line from the right-wing media about how Obama was going to take everyone's guns.
Reply/Quote
Two things.

First, apparently Trump's policies didn't work if it's two months after he's out and we're reaching all time highs.

Second, as Bells said, this is mostly a funding problem going back decades. We don't have enough people to process applications, or space in courts to deal with contested ones. Our system has been turned into a decades long wait list unless you've got money. And not money for taxpayers, money for businesses and attorneys specializing in getting you to the front of the line. It's like our approach to healthcare, mental health and a slew of other social issues. That was a lot of the fear around what DeVos was trying to do to education: got cash, get educated; don't? you won't.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
This is all Trump's fault for making America so damn awesome.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2021, 05:45 PM)Nately120 Wrote: This is all Trump's fault for making America so damn awesome.

Lol, you can't Make America Great Again and then complain when more people want to come!! 
Reply/Quote
Anyways, is it time to start subjecting Americans who hire illegals to some stiff penalties yet?
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2021, 12:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The right-wing media is to blame for this problem.

The ONLY people who claim that Biden and the Democrats in general are in favor of "open borders" are the ones repeating speaking points from the right-wing media.  NONE of the Democrats who have discussed immigration policy have proposed "open borders", but that is the speaking point used by the right wing media and spread by its followers.

So if any of these immigrants have been told they could get into the United States because of Biden's "open borders" policy they have heard it from the right-wing echo chamber.

The exact same thing happened with gun owners when Obama got elected.  There was a huge increase in gun purchases because a lot of people fell for the line from the right-wing media about how Obama was going to take everyone's guns.

I typically ignore your posts, and this is why.  You say "the right-wing media" is to blame, when Fox is the only major media outlet that is right-wing.  

If other news outlets are beginning to lean to the right, then it speaks even more to how terrible Biden is, or you're saying Fox is to blame for all of this, which why would you imply that Fox is that powerful?
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2021, 06:10 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Anyways, is it time to start subjecting Americans who hire illegals to some stiff penalties yet?

This has always been my issue for some time. If there were some ramifications for the people who employ them, then there is a trickle-down effect...but there aren't any ramifications. I had a house built by a very large Cincinnati builder last year and was told to be careful going to the worksite during the day because sometimes the crews get spooked if they see someone driving by the site often and they will get up and leave. It wasn't directly said, but basically, the inference was "The crews are all illegal immigrants and they will think you are Immigration". 

You aren't going to stop people from coming over illegally if coming over illegally still allows them to achieve what they came here for. Enforce CRIMINAL penalties for all parties within a company who know, or should know, that they are actively employing illegal immigrants, or contracting them. Consider a "Sarbanes Oxley" like law that removes the ability to fake ignorance about "knowing" off the table as a defense. 
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2021, 10:55 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I typically ignore your posts, and this is why.  You say "the right-wing media" is to blame, when Fox is the only major media outlet that is right-wing.  

If other news outlets are beginning to lean to the right, then it speaks even more to how terrible Biden is, or you're saying Fox is to blame for all of this, which why would you imply that Fox is that powerful?

There are lots of major right-wing news sources.  Breitbart, Washington Times, New York Post, Daily Caller, The Blaze, OAN, Newsmax, Wall Street Journal, The Federalist, etc.
Reply/Quote
Denying media access to border sites, how transparent. The whole border issue is an easy fix. Just need people with more spine and less whine.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2021, 11:18 AM)Mickeypoo Wrote: Denying media access to border sites, how transparent.  The whole border issue is an easy fix.  Just need people with more spine and less whine.

Can you explain your "easy fix"?  What do you do with the people at the border?  What do you do when an underage person shows up unaccompanied?

I'm sure your solution is brief but I'd love to hear it.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Warning: Reading signatures may hurt your feelings.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2021, 09:04 AM)fredtoast Wrote: There are lots of major right-wing news sources.  Breitbart, Washington Times, New York Post, Daily Caller, The Blaze, OAN, Newsmax, Wall Street Journal, The Federalist, etc.

Most of those require you to read instead of being feeding their bullshit to you via Tucker Calrson's face.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2021, 11:20 AM)GMDino Wrote: Can you explain your "easy fix"?  What do you do with the people at the border?  What do you do when an underage person shows up unaccompanied?

I'm sure your solution is brief but I'd love to hear it.

First I would make everyone in the USA who is here illegally citizens.  Now everyone is a US citizen.

Temporarily close down the border and start building barriers.  Drones, cameras, boots on the ground.  Make sure the border is secure.  Really secure.

To help with keeping illegals from wanting to break in you have to setup and adhere to strict restrictions.  No housing, no education, no healthcare, no job, nothing.  You get zero if you get in illegally.  

If you are found you are immediately placed on other side of border, no questions asked.  

If that is implemented and strictly adhered to, word will get out and the flow will dry up because there will be no "American Dream" if you are here illegally.  

What about an underage person?  Same as an adult.  They cannot come in.  They won't show up once there is no point.

I can't wait for the responses to this!  lmao!
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2021, 11:35 AM)Mickeypoo Wrote: First I would make everyone in the USA who is here illegally citizens.  Now everyone is a US citizen.

Temporarily close down the border and start building barriers.  Drones, cameras, boots on the ground.  Make sure the border is secure.  Really secure.

To help with keeping illegals from wanting to break in you have to setup and adhere to strict restrictions.  No housing, no education, no healthcare, no job, nothing.  You get zero if you get in illegally.  

If you are found you are immediately placed on other side of border, no questions asked.  

If that is implemented and strictly adhered to, word will get out and the flow will dry up because there will be no "American Dream" if you are here illegally.  

What about an underage person?  Same as an adult.  They cannot come in.  They won't show up once there is no point.

Where is the money coming from for the "barriers? Or for the people to handle the paperwork to make them all legal? 

Where are the "boots" coming from?

What about the ones that come via water?  The Canadian border too?  East coast and west coast?

Where are you sending them back to?  Their home country or the country they came in through?  What if they came on a boat?  Throw them in the water?

"Easy" doesn't seem to equal "well though out".
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2021, 11:35 AM)Mickeypoo Wrote: First I would make everyone in the USA who is here illegally citizens.  Now everyone is a US citizen.

You can't keep motivated people out with physical barriers, they will always find a way. Focus, and money, need to be on enforcement of the next point. 

I actually agree with you on this point, mentioned it up above, other than healthcare. We are always obligated to provide healthcare to people, that is simply an ethical situation that is part of being a 1st world country. 

You can't simply imprison children. The reality is that much the same way we do not hold children to adult standards for most crimes you can't hear. That is a case where you will need to send them back, however, if you enforce the point above there will be no reason to come. If they can't get into school and can't get a job then there is no value in sending your children here for a better life because life isn't better. 

For me, it all comes back to revoking the value of coming. If there is no value then the influx will slow drastically. Doing so though will require strict enforcement of the rules on the people who hold the keys to the value items.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2021, 11:47 AM)Au165 Wrote: You can't keep motivated people out with physical barriers, they will always find a way. Focus, and money, need to be on enforcement of the next point. 

I actually agree with you on this point, mentioned it up above, other than healthcare. We are always obligated to provide healthcare to people, that is simply an ethical situation that is part of being a 1st world country. 

You can't simply imprison children. The reality is that much the same way we do not hold children to adult standards for most crimes you can't hear. That is a case where you will need to send them back, however, if you enforce the point above there will be no reason to come. If they can't get into school and can't get a job then there is no value in sending your children here for a better life because life isn't better. 

For me, it all comes back to revoking the value of coming. If there is no value then the influx will slow drastically. Doing so though will require strict enforcement of the rules on the people who hold the keys to the value items.

Correct, if you put strict policies in place and actually adhere to them then you slow the flow dramatically.  That solves multiple issues listed above by GM.  

If you make everyone a citizen on date X, then everyone illegally here from that point forward gets nothing, imo.  I don't even care about healthcare.  You know the risks if you are breaking into a foreign country.

No job, housing, education, healthcare, deportation immediately with no questions asked and no aid.  If you do those things the problem takes care of itself as there is literally no reason to come.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2021, 12:34 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: Correct, if you put strict policies in place and actually adhere to them then you slow the flow dramatically.  That solves multiple issues listed above by GM.  

If you make everyone a citizen on date X, then everyone illegally here from that point forward gets nothing, imo.  I don't even care about healthcare.  You know the risks if you are breaking into a foreign country.

No job, housing, education, healthcare, deportation immediately with no questions asked and no aid.  If you do those things the problem takes care of itself as there is literally no reason to come.

You didn't answer any of my questions though.

You can create all the policies you want but if you don't fund the enforcement of them it's just farting in the wind.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2021, 12:34 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: Correct, if you put strict policies in place and actually adhere to them then you slow the flow dramatically.  That solves multiple issues listed above by GM.  

While I understand you don't care, ethically that is something that can't be done. Doctors literally aren't allowed to refuse medical service to someone in an emergency over things like...well basically anything. Prisoners get healthcare, you simply can't refuse it to people because they are here illegally. Now things that aren't emergencies I guess you could make that argument, however, I doubt a lot of those people seek optional medical treatment.
Reply/Quote