Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bored at work mock V1
I see a lot of folks thinking we need to draft a WR in the 1st, I don't believe we do. Boyd as a rookie has played very well and should continue to improve, Core while not have many opportunities so far this year, has produced when the ball has been thrown his way, we also have Lafell who has played well who could be a candidate for resigning and Erickson who like Core has made the most of his opportunities. We have all of these guys to go along with Eifert, Bernard, and Burkhead who I really hope they resign and start to use more often. So with this taken into consideration I believe our most immediate needs lie in our linebacking core, our DE position and the oline.

NO comp picks were put into this as we don't know where exactly we will be getting these extra picks.

1st round Reuben Foster LB Alabama
We desperately need some good athletic LB's and we finally get our all around good linebacker to complement Burfict and Vigil(who makes plays in his limited snaps).

2nd round Ethan Pocic C LSU
I like so many others are tired of seeing Bodine look lost and having to have help which then in turn hurts other areas of our line. With an upgrade at center we should see an upgrade in our ground game thus allowing Dalton and Co. to improve our passing game as well.

3rd round Budda Baker S Washington
A fluid playmaker in the secondary. Put him in and watch him play.

4th round Chris Wormley DE Michigan
He reminds of another DE from Michigan who I really liked in Graham. He might not be the same pedigree as Barnett or Garrett, but at this point in the draft he helps improve our weak DE position outside of Dunlap.

5th round Danny Isidora G Miami
Depending on what happens with Zeitler and whether Westerman will be a starting Guard is up to anyones guess. This pick could be for depth if we lose Zeitler or if Boling is struggling more than with the rumor of him being hurt. If we resign Zeitler than I would take Daniel Karlson the K from Auburn here.

6th round Dan Skipper OT Arkansas
Right now he provides depth. They are going to give Ced and Fisher every chance to develop into good starters. Skipper brings a guy who can compete and either start or be a future starter. I'm still hoping we resign Whit to at least 1 more year.

7th round Taywan Taylor WR Western Kentucky
And finally our WR. Taylor can come in and hopefully provide some of the athleticism he showcased this past season. He might need a year or two to adjust to NFL caliber defenses, but he could be a steal in the seventh.
Reply/Quote
If Foster and Pocic both panned out that would be a great draft and anything else just gravy.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2016, 11:39 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: If Foster and Pocic both panned out that would be a great draft and anything else just gravy.

Yep, I think them 2 represent our 2 biggest needs as I think Billings and Hardison(or at least hope) will be able to be big contributors on the line, but we still need another good pass rusher we have 2 in Dunlap and Atkins.
Reply/Quote
Ya, I like this draft.  The only thing missing would be a RB and we could easily pick one of them up with one of our comp picks.  Would be very happy if it fell out like this. 
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-20-2016, 01:42 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: Ya, I like this draft.  The only thing missing would be a RB and we could easily pick one of them up with one of our comp picks.  Would be very happy if it fell out like this. 

If we fix the blocking problems on the OL, do the Bengals really need to think RB, other than later rounds/UDFA?  I am assuming that Bernard makes a complete recovery, and that Hill gets whole again (he's been dinged up all year), Burkhead looks pretty solid as the 3rd back in line.

I really like this mock.  Might go with Elfline over Pocic, because Pocic is 6'7" and might be tough for Dalton to see over or around.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2016, 01:42 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: Ya, I like this draft.  The only thing missing would be a RB and we could easily pick one of them up with one of our comp picks.  Would be very happy if it fell out like this. 

Yea thanks man. I feel we have quite a few needs for impact players this year so there are so many directions we could go in the first few rounds.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2016, 01:58 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: If we fix the blocking problems on the OL, do the Bengals really need to think RB, other than later rounds/UDFA?  I am assuming that Bernard makes a complete recovery, and that Hill gets whole again (he's been dinged up all year), Burkhead looks pretty solid as the 3rd back in line.

I really like this mock.  Might go with Elfline over Pocic, because Pocic is 6'7" and might be tough for Dalton to see over or around.

Thanks man! Eflein or Pocic for me works, just as long as we upgrade the middle of the line. Watching the Bengals try to run Hill up the middle when there is never any holes is frustrating, he's not a cut back rb like Benard or Burkhead he doesn't have their vision and Bodine definitely is not helping in this situation.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2016, 01:58 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: If we fix the blocking problems on the OL, do the Bengals really need to think RB, other than later rounds/UDFA?  I am assuming that Bernard makes a complete recovery, and that Hill gets whole again (he's been dinged up all year), Burkhead looks pretty solid as the 3rd back in line.

I'm just not sold on Hill having IT.  He has never shown me much, just highly inconsistent. a few good games mixed in with a few duds, but over all just a tad above average.  ???  Maybe I see it differently than most, but its just my honest assessment.  And honestly, I don't know if we'll find IT in the draft either.  I'm not sold on too many of these RBs coming out.  Fornette scares me with those ankles.  I've heard rumors he's thinking of having surgery on them this offseason.  Do you really want to spend ANOTHER first round pick on someone who's going to miss his entire rookie campaign?  McCafferty was banged up all year round too.  I like Cook and the Oklahoma kid, Samaje Perine who could be a good replacement for Hill.   Kareem Hunt and James Conner are also names that stand out to me.
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(12-20-2016, 03:14 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: I'm just not sold on Hill having IT.  He has never shown me much, just highly inconsistent. a few good games mixed in with a few duds, but over all just a tad above average.  ???  Maybe I see it differently than most, but its just my honest assessment.  And honestly, I don't know if we'll find IT in the draft either.  I'm not sold on too many of these RBs coming out.  Fornette scares me with those ankles.  I've heard rumors he's thinking of having surgery on them this offseason.  Do you really want to spend ANOTHER first round pick on someone who's going to miss his entire rookie campaign?  McCafferty was banged up all year round too.  I like Cook and the Oklahoma kid, Samaje Perine who could be a good replacement for Hill.   Kareem Hunt and James Conner are also names that stand out to me.

What I am saying is that the Bengals don't need to spend a pick in the 1st half of the draft on a RB, just fix the OL.  People are down on Hill, justifiably it would seem.  However, people also forget how quickly he can take it to the house, when given a crease..  We also have a back that can juke, jump cut, and accelerate with the best of them, his name is Giovanni Bernard.  Pretty hard for either of those two to produce to their abilities, when there are defenders in the backfield as they receive the ball...

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2016, 06:14 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: What I am saying is that the Bengals don't need to spend a pick in the 1st half of the draft on a RB, just fix the OL.  People are down on Hill, justifiably it would seem.  However, people also forget how quickly he can take it to the house, when given a crease..  We also have a back that can juke, jump cut, and accelerate with the best of them, his name is Giovanni Bernard.  Pretty hard for either of those two to produce to their abilities, when there are defenders in the backfield as they receive the ball...

Fair assessment. I always agree with trying to improve the o-line. Being a fellow o-line man back in my playing days I have a soft spot the big fellas up front. EVERYTHING starts up front. Solidify the line and you'll see improvement all across the offense. Get back to playing nasty.

Reply/Quote
(12-20-2016, 08:17 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: Fair assessment.  I always agree with trying to improve the online.  Being a fellow o-line man back in my playing days I have a soft spot the big fellas up front.  EVERYTHING starts up front.  Solidify the line and you'll see improvement all across the offense.  Get back to playing nasty.

As much as our line could use improvement its a shaky argument when Burkhead comes in and averages 5.2 behind the same line. 

Hill just doesn't seem to have great vision and is constantly getting caught dancing around the line while Burkhead is finding the hole and hitting it.

Hell call me crazy but if were picking 7-9 and the top DE's are gone, I don't think any of the OTs are worth it, and Foster is gone then I would consider Fournette. 

Now if the top 2 DE's or Foster are on the board I think you take them over him but if it comes down to say Fournette or Mike Williams I would probably be leaning Fournette.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2016, 11:08 AM)Crowe Wrote: I see a lot of folks thinking we need to draft a WR in the 1st, I don't believe we do. Boyd as a rookie has played very well and should continue to improve, Core while not have many opportunities so far this year, has produced when the ball has been thrown his way, we also have Lafell who has played well who could be a candidate for resigning and Erickson who like Core has made the most of his opportunities. We have all of these guys to go along with Eifert, Bernard, and Burkhead who I really hope they resign and start to use more often. So with this taken into consideration I believe our most immediate needs lie in our linebacking core, our DE position and the oline.

NO comp picks were put into this as we don't know where exactly we will be getting these extra picks.

1st round Reuben Foster LB Alabama
We desperately need some good athletic LB's and we finally get our all around good linebacker to complement Burfict and Vigil(who makes plays in his limited snaps).

2nd round Ethan Pocic C LSU
I like so many others are tired of seeing Bodine look lost and having to have help which then in turn hurts other areas of our line. With an upgrade at center we should see an upgrade in our ground game thus allowing Dalton and Co. to improve our passing game as well.

3rd round Budda Baker S Washington
A fluid playmaker in the secondary. Put him in and watch him play.

4th round Chris Wormley DE Michigan
He reminds of another DE from Michigan who I really liked in Graham. He might not be the same pedigree as Barnett or Garrett, but at this point in the draft he helps improve our weak DE position outside of Dunlap.

5th round Danny Isidora G Miami
Depending on what happens with Zeitler and whether Westerman will be a starting Guard is up to anyones guess. This pick could be for depth if we lose Zeitler or if Boling is struggling more than with the rumor of him being hurt. If we resign Zeitler than I would take Daniel Karlson the K from Auburn here.

6th round Dan Skipper OT Arkansas
Right now he provides depth. They are going to give Ced and Fisher every chance to develop into good starters. Skipper brings a guy who can compete and either start or be a future starter. I'm still hoping we resign Whit to at least 1 more year.

7th round Taywan Taylor WR Western Kentucky
And finally our WR. Taylor can come in and hopefully provide some of the athleticism he showcased this past season. He might need a year or two to adjust to NFL caliber defenses, but he could be a steal in the seventh.

Good mock, overall.  I'm not a fan of Foster due to him being suspect in coverage and having shown little as a pass rusher, but you hit a lot of needs.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2016, 06:14 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: What I am saying is that the Bengals don't need to spend a pick in the 1st half of the draft on a RB, just fix the OL.  People are down on Hill, justifiably it would seem.  However, people also forget how quickly he can take it to the house, when given a crease..  We also have a back that can juke, jump cut, and accelerate with the best of them, his name is Giovanni Bernard.  Pretty hard for either of those two to produce to their abilities, when there are defenders in the backfield as they receive the ball...

Hill hasn't been the same since his rookie year, and we don't know what Gio will be able to do when he gets back.  We have to assume he will limited in his touches the first half of the year, at best, or start on the PUP, at worst.

Upgrading the line is a good thing, however people need to realize that if you have a good OL and mediocre RB's, you still aren't running against a good front 7.  You need both.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2016, 11:19 PM)Whatever Wrote: Hill hasn't been the same since his rookie year, and we don't know what Gio will be able to do when he gets back.  We have to assume he will limited in his touches the first half of the year, at best, or start on the PUP, at worst.

Upgrading the line is a good thing, however people need to realize that if you have a good OL and mediocre RB's, you still aren't running against a good front 7.  You need both.

Uh, what??  Have you ever watched the Patriots, Raven or Broncos?  They put a good OL out there, and whatever back that finds their way to them, usually they have a pretty decent rushing attack.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2016, 01:06 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Uh, what??  Have you ever watched the Patriots, Raven or Broncos?  They put a good OL out there, and whatever back that finds their way to them, usually they have a pretty decent rushing attack.

You realize the Broncos are 27th in rushing and the Ravens are 28th?
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2016, 01:23 AM)Whatever Wrote: You realize the Broncos are 27th in rushing and the Ravens are 28th?

Yep and no matter how much people dislike Blount he has proven that he is a very good RB.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2016, 08:17 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: Fair assessment.  I always agree with trying to improve the o-line.  Being a fellow o-line man back in my playing days I have a soft spot the big fellas up front.  EVERYTHING starts up front.  Solidify the line and you'll see improvement all across the offense.  Get back to playing nasty.

Absolutely! You see what the Cowboys were able to do along with Pitt, both of their lines were pretty bad and they've invested heavily on the offensive line and it's paid off big time. We really need to beef up the trenches on both sides.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2016, 11:11 PM)Whatever Wrote: Good mock, overall.  I'm not a fan of Foster due to him being suspect in coverage and having shown little as a pass rusher, but you hit a lot of needs.

Thanks man! I'm personally a fan of Foster, McMillan, or Cunningham as I believe all 3 could really help our terrible linebacking core.
Reply/Quote