Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bortles as backup QB?
(03-12-2019, 10:46 AM)ochocincos Wrote: We're going to nitpick certain stats out now? Ok.

Bridgewater had more wins in a single season than Bortles had (11 vs 10).
Bridgewater has had a (much) higher completion percentage (65%) than Bortles (60%).
Bridgewater has had a higher QBR than Bortles has ever had (88.7 vs 88.2)

Throwing TD passes isn't the best indicator of success. And if you really want to talk about Bortles throwing TD passes, he only threw 13 last year.

The final thing would come down to cost of each player. If Bridgewater could be half the cost of Bortles, wouldn't you say Bridgewater is better value given he's had a higher win percentage, completion percentage, and QBR than Bortles overall?

Bortles also has put up big yards a couple times. Bridgewater hasn’t. So it’s not just TD’s.

I’ll take either one though. It just seems more likely Bortles will be available. Bridgewater probably stays in NO.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 09:58 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Rather Bridgewater

Meh, Bridgewater seems like one of those guys who has value as long as he isn't playing.  If he had a whole season to play like Bortles did I'd imagine his value would be diminished.  This isn't me beating the drum for Bort Bortles, though.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 10:55 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Meh, Bridgewater seems like one of those guys who has value as long as he isn't playing.  If he had a whole season to play like Bortles did I'd imagine his value would be diminished.  This isn't me beating the drum for Bort Bortles, though.

Could be, or it could not. We ultimately don't know. But do you take the gamble on someone who used to be good his first couple seasons but then was derailed by an injury and then delegated to backup, or do you go with a perennial lower-tier starter who you pretty much know what you're going to get? Since it's a backup role (especially in a year where there probably shouldn't be expectation of playoff contention), I'd roll with the first option.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Blake Bortles has never lost a game to the Pittsburgh Steelers, Cleveland Browns or Baltimore Ravens as divisional opponents.

If you've never seen his parody twitter account, the above makes no sense to you.

In all seriousness, Bortles is a perfect backup if the price is right. He's no all-pro, but he played for some of the most offensively-inept head coaches and offensive coordinators imaginable. Doug Marrone would never throw a pass if he had a choice. He openly admits that. Bortles never had any great weapons at WR and he spent most of his years in Jax behind an OL even worse than ours. He could be a passable QB in the right environment.

Of course, PBS is not often known as the "right" environment for anything.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote