Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Both Wright and Jones off the Board - MDD Sim
As much as I would like to see Darnell Wright or Dawand Jones selected at #28 there are those who believe that both will be off the board or there are those who do not believe that Jones is worth the 28th selection. So if they are both off the board or the Bengals pass on Jones is it the end of the world? I do not believe so and I believe that if these scenarios present themselves that the best strategy for the Bengals to employ is to trade down and still select a first round or fringe first round talent at a lower point and create even more value in the selection while gaining capital in the draft to continue to develop the young and talented core they have been putting together.

I believe the moves the Bengals have made in free agency this season have been close to brilliant and has put them in position to do virtually whatever they want in this draft that is very deep in many areas that they need to build in. So following is the strategy that I employed for them in this simulation along with notable players that were available when the Bengals selected.

If you would have chosen a different player at a certain point I would like to hear who and why.
Reply/Quote
THE TRADES:

Reply/Quote
THE DRAFT:

Reply/Quote
RD 2 - 37th Overall

Darnell Washington - TE - Georgia - 6'7" 264

Notables Available: M. Smith, J. Gibbs, B. Branch, F. Anudike-Uzomah, T. Simpson

When the Bengals traded down they passed on Z. Flowers, B. Bresee, K. White, and E. Forbes that were possible draft candidates. I did not feel that any of these players provided enough value to pass on the trade that was offered by Indy.

Washington gives the Bengals a player with an extremely high ceiling at a position where they are thin. Washington gives the Bengals real option in their offense from running their spread offense to lining up with a heavy package and still having him on the field. His blocking abilities are the best in this class and his freakish athleticism make for a difficult matchup in coverage. Yes there are areas that Washington needs to continue to develop such as the route tree that he runs and yes he may never create separation with cuts in and out of breaks but his strengths in other areas such as speed, leaping ability, and contested catches make up for some deficiencies.

This selection at this point provides great value and enhances this offense even more and he should be a great pairing with Irv Smith.

RD 2 - 60th Overall

Tuli Tuipulotu - DE - USC - 6'3" 266

Notables Available: M. Bergeron, T. Stevenson, D. Hall, G. Dexter, T. Bigsby

There are eerie similarities to Tuli and Trey Hendrickson when it comes to size, physicality, and the way the play the game and I do not believe that it was just by accident that Lou was at the USC Pro Day. Tuli is a great fit for the multiple fronts that Lou likes to run and is an NFL ready prospect. He plays with a very high motor and is going to have two really great players to mentor him at the next level in Hendrickson and Hubbard. Tuli needs to continue to grow in areas such as setting the edge in the run game but with his displayed abilities this does not appear that it should be an issue.

RD 3 - 79th Overall

D.J. Turner II - CB - Michigan - 5'11" 178

Notables Available: J. Schmitz, D. Henley, KJ Henry, G. Williams, E. Ricks

Turner does not possess elite size or length for the position but what he does have is elite speed and elite technique. Couple this with a very high football IQ and what you have is a playmaker in the secondary. Turner is a true technician in the secondary and if he gets his hands on the ball good luck catching him. He is a very sticky corner and while bigger receivers may try to out physical him his technique keeps him in position to make a play on the ball. Turner is going to be a great addition to an already really good room with Chido, Taylor-Britt, Hilton, Jones, and Davis.

RD 3 - 92nd Overall

Tyjae Spears - RB - Tulane - 5'10" 201

Notables Available: J. Battle, S. Brown, T. Scott, J. Robinson, M. Mims, J. Duncan

Spears gives the Bengals offense the true playmaker it has lacked since Joe Burrow has been here. Spears runs between the tackles and routinely runs through arm tackles while having the burst and athleticism to beat the defense to the edge. He is a really good receiver out of the backfield and when Spears gets in the open field he has another gear to run away from defenders. A concern with backs his size is the ability to pass protect but he answered these questions to skeptics at the Senior Bowl where he was considered a standout.

RD 4 - 123rd Overall

Wanya Morris - OT - Oklahoma - 6'5" 307

Notables Available: D. Overshown, Z. Evans, J. Martin, C. Latu, S. Tucker, R. Johnson

Morris is experienced at both right and left tackle. Morris was a 5 star recruit at Tennessee and showed real promise as a freshman. Sophomore struggles and the arrival of Darnell Wright led to Morris falling out of favor. Morris made his way to Oklahoma where he started to regain his old form and proved a formidable duo with Anton Harrison as bookend tackles for the Sooners. Morris likely would compete for the RT spot now or when the 1 year lease for Williams is over but as well should provide the Bengals with a high quality swing tackle at both sides. The Bengals have been hurt by a lack of quality depth on the offensive line in the past.

RD 4 - 131st Overall

Chandler Zavala - OG - NC State - 6'5" 325

Notables Available: K. Coburn, J. Kuntz, S. Tucker, N. Herbig, K. McIntosh, I. McGuire

Considering the struggles the Bengals have had with quality depth on the O line they address this area in back to back selections. Zavala is rising up draft boards and for good reason. A naturally powerful blocker with good athleticism for his size. He anchors really well and and gets to the second level fluidly and displays good football IQ in picking up blocks and awareness of pressures. I like Volson but Zavala could relegate him to a depth piece which is not a bad thing as continuous improvement and competition is what builds teams and wins championships.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0RbNGYrmyo

RD 5 - 163rd Overall

Hunter Luepke - RB/FB - N. Dakota St. - 6'1" 235

Notables Available: B. Young, O. Oluwatimi, M. Morris, D. Vaugh, I. Abanikanda, M. Ojomo

Some may wish to pigeonhole Luepke as a fullback but that would be a real mistake. His film speaks for itself and he is a weapon in all facets of the offense and that means as a runner as well. Hunter showed out at the N. Dakota St. Pro Day posting a 36.5" vertical, 9'9" long jump and an impressive 4.56 - 40. Hunter completes the transformation of the RB room and could signal the release of Mixon saving cap space for extensions and distancing the team from the off the field situations that seem to becoming far too frequent for a team that has transformed their locker room culture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fy5hTiEnZCU

RD 6 - 206th Overall

Terell Smith - CB - Minnesota - 6'0" 204

Smith is a solidly built corner that brings good length and speed to the position and has displayed good hip flip and transition from backpedal. Smith brings a lot of very good quality traits to the position but one area he needs to continue to develop is his hands. He makes a lot of plays on the ball but has missed several should be INTs however, the positive is keeping the receiver from making the catch. Smith is an ascending talent and could develop into a starter or high quality depth piece.

RD 7 - 246th Overall

Dante Stills - DT - West Virginia - 6'3.5" - 286

Stills offers so much potential as an inside pass rusher. To get him here in the draft is a steal. Hobby has a lot to work with here and there is plenty of raw talent to develop and if he can match his potential to his production than the Bengals could have the inside disruptor they have missed since Geno. A NFL training regimen should help Stills to increase his overall play strength to pair with his explosiveness. May need a stint on the PS but could be real future contributor for this team.
Reply/Quote
You take Luepke with Abanikanda and Oluwatimi on the board? wow
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2023, 10:28 PM)pulses Wrote: You take Luepke with Abanikanda and Oluwatimi on the board?  wow

Sure did. 

Abanikanda struggles in blitz pickup and I believe we have as good a backup center in Trey Hill than you get with Oluwatimi and Karras is under contract until '25. Luepke is a hell of a weapon in many different ways and gives you that thump you may need in short yardage or goal line situations.
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2023, 02:15 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Sure did. 

Abanikanda struggles in blitz pickup and I believe we have as good a backup center in Trey Hill than you get with Oluwatimi and Karras is under contract until '25. Luepke is a hell of a weapon in many different ways and gives you that thump you may need in short yardage or goal line situations.

Trey Hill hasn't proven a thing Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2023, 05:06 PM)pulses Wrote: Trey Hill hasn't proven a thing Hilarious

I don't believe that I stated he proved anything other than he is the backup center. However, for that matter it could be a really good competition between Hill and Ben Brown. So what is it that Olawatimi has proven? 
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2023, 07:47 PM)OSUfan Wrote: I don't believe that I stated he proved anything other than he is the backup center. However, for that matter it could be a really good competition between Hill and Ben Brown. So what is it that Olawatimi has proven? 

He was the best center in college football the last 2 years and won the awards to prove it...i like his chances over Hill who hasn't done anything and another guy who has an injury history.
Reply/Quote
The problem for me with a trade-down:

How many of these players have a real chance to make the team?

Our roster is pretty good. I could see a RB, TE, corner, and olineman make the team based on roster spots available.
Maybe another player in the secondary as well. Of course Punter is up for grabs too.
I feel like a dlineman is a long shot unless they are a high draft pick.

With picking so late already it would be nice to get 2 or 3 potential starters in the first few rounds. I'd like to see TE, RB, and Corner or Oline drafted early. I think we should be able to find value at those positions.

If the right edge/interior dline falls and we can by no means pass on them, definitely make the pick. But I like how the draft stacks up at the above positions.

Nice job hitting a lot of those needs with solid value picks, OSU.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I always err on the side of caution when it comes to DBs with speed.
While it's possible someone like Turner falls to Rd 3, I think it's a much safer bet to take him in Rd 2 if you really like him.
That 4.26 speed is going to likely make someone jump on him earlier than some have him projected.

Also, whatever SIM is having Abanikanda fall to Rd 5, I'll have what they're having lol.
That dude looks real fast in games. I think he'll be a Day 2 pick.

With that said, I think Luepke in Rd 5 is realistic, and I think it's a solid selection.
He has the size and ability to block and pound on the ground.
I also like his ability to catch passes.
Him putting up a better-than-expected 40 which I think draws more interest for him.
He ran about what I was expecting Roschon Johnson to run.
Cordell Volson also has blocked for Luepke before, so I'm sure there's an extra connection there that might draw the coaches to him.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-02-2023, 08:16 PM)pulses Wrote: He was the best center in college football the last 2 years and won the awards to prove it...i like his chances over Hill who hasn't done anything and another guy who has an injury history.

Well in all fairness Billy Price won the Rimington as well so there is that.
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2023, 12:18 AM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: The problem for me with a trade-down:

Our roster is pretty good. I could see a RB, TE, corner, and olineman make the team based on roster spots available.
Maybe another player in the secondary as well. Of course Punter is up for grabs too.

With picking so late already it would be nice to get 2 or 3 potential starters in the first few rounds. I'd like to see TE, RB, and Corner or Oline drafted early. I think we should be able to find value at those positions.

If the right edge/interior dline falls and we can by no means pass on them, definitely make the pick. But I like how the draft stacks up at the above positions.

In the draft above I believe easily your top 4 selections make the team no doubt. I believe Morris right now is a better option as a swing tackle than Adeniji or D'ante Smith so him making the team is not a stretch at all. I feel like Zavala is better than the OG depth we have at this time or at least better than Scharping. Luepke make the team as well if you are serious about cutting ties with Mixon.
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2023, 04:05 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Well in all fairness Billy Price won the Rimington as well so there is that.

And still ride with a backup OC who hasnt shown anything......no thanks.
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2023, 04:09 PM)OSUfan Wrote: In the draft above I believe easily your top 4 selections make the team no doubt. I believe Morris right now is a better option as a swing tackle than Adeniji or D'ante Smith so him making the team is not a stretch at all. I feel like Zavala is better than the OG depth we have at this time or at least better than Scharping. Luepke make the team as well if you are serious about cutting ties with Mixon.

Yeah a trade down could work if you hit on those 2nd/3rd round picks.
Definitely good value at tight end/rb there.

Nice work on the mock.
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2023, 08:27 PM)pulses Wrote: And still ride with a backup OC who hasnt shown anything......no thanks.

What do you mean has not shown anything? He played for the University of Georgia and went against the top competition week in and week out. He is a backup center what are you expecting him to "show"? Your post is confusing and offers no real criteria. He obviously showed the coaching staff that he was capable of being the backup center. 

Creed Humphrey did not win the Rimington Award yet he is at the top of NFL centers.
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2023, 12:18 AM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: The problem for me with a trade-down:

Also, what Bengal fans need to start embracing is that with the roster this franchise has built it is going to get more and more difficult to draft immediate starters and that is a really good thing.

However, in the case of this simulation you get a first round talent in Washington but you are getting him in the second round do that is a great value especially with it being a position of need.

The Bengals need to plan for the future and add pass rush depth. With Tuli you get exactly that. He is no doubt capable of being an NFL starting DE but with Hendrickson and Hubbard he is not going to be. The reality is that when you get to the level the Bengals are it get more and more difficult to keep players on your roster. The success of Hendrickson and Hubbard will make them a valued commodity. With a guy like Tuli you add depth and the heir apparent if either is lost. While he is not an immediate starter he is an immediate contributor in the rotation.

D.J. Turner as well may not be a day 1 starter but easily a day 1 contributor because of the offenses in the NFL and the need for multiple high level corners to match up. Not to mention can easily be a snap away from being a starter.
Reply/Quote