Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bought a joiner table
You may or may not know what a joiner table is and what it does,  but quickly it slices off the edges of boards to make them nice and square with the flat side of the board using usually 2-4 cutting knives rotating at fairly high speed. 
So anyway, I bought an old DeWalt joiner manufactured I believe in 1962 although I haven't verified the year yet, just going by a post with serial numbers and dates of manufacturing by DeWalt.
It's 48" long with a 6" possible cutting width. The only part missing was the motor and I already had one although it's not the right rpm's for the job, but it still works well for hardwood. 
These things were made back before Dewalt got into the home owner tool business back when they were almost exclusively for professional wood shops.. No pretty yellow paint, just very heavy cast iron.. no aluminum or plastic anywhere other than the wire insulation..No rust anywhere except around the feet and even that's barely noticeable. With a new motor I could easily resell this thing for $1000..$500 without it..
A whole whopping $75 from an old woodshop up around Spartanburg SC..
Lots o fun loading and unloading it in the truck since it weighs over 200 pounds..I'm getting too old for that kind of foolishness of lifting that kind of weight.. We did get really lucky when the strap broke in the truck and it tipped over, but no damage at all..It didn't even chip the paint so that was lucky.. 
I suppose I'll get around to replacing the knives since they all have small chips, but none are so bad it's urgent although I may take them in for a professional sharpening someday. It ain't easy to change knives on these machines and I probably should buy a specially made micrometer for such funny business..Wink Brand new these types of professional joiners run around $2000 or at least a new powermatic 6" joiner does.. I think $75 was a pretty darn good deal myself.. Now I can buy hardwood from sawmills without worrying about how the edges are cut or not. I bought a planer a few years ago so rough cut lumber is no longer a problem..
[Image: 20200923_105320-scaled.jpg][Image: 20200923_105336-scaled.jpg]
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I used to buy lumber that's rough cut on both edges and squared it up with the table saw, but I often would lose 2-3 inches, sometimes more trying to keep the edges straight up against the fence. Now I only lose just the rough edge and nothing more. That doesn't seem like much, but when you consider some of the lumber I buy costs $4-5 and sometimes more per board foot that few inches of lumber starts to add up pretty fast.  I had a piece of white oak that costs around $4.75 per board foot. It started out as a 6" board and ended up around 3" just trying to square up the edges. That's a lot of money ending up as sawdust..
If you're into woodworking especially with hardwoods a joiner is a great investment..The longer the better since short bed joiners don't do great with longer boards.. I might even add more extensions to the bed on the one I have to make it an 8 foot bed, but we'll see. My space is really limited. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Joiner is pretty much an essential tool for woodworking. 48" bed is not that long but 6" width should be plenty big enough for anything you will use.

How wide is your planer? Is it single sided? Those things can be really expensive. My dad had a joiner and a table saw, but he also worked with sawmill lumber. Luckily he knew a guy who had a cabinet factory. They had a huge commercial two sided planer that the boards would just fly through.
Reply/Quote
I paid closer to $800 for mine. It's a Grizzly.

[Image: yh08s4W.jpg]
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
JoinTer table

Nice pick up.
Reply/Quote
There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that and everything else is cream cheese.
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote