Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bought a new grill yesterday
Lowes and several other stores are having good deals on grills over the Labor day weekend. Bought a Weber 3 burner grill yesterday. I wanted a bigger grill but seriously, the 5 burner I have now is always half used when I BBQ and I have a terrible time controlling the temp. Plus, I usually buy cheap grills that look great for the money, but always keep replacing after a few years because their not durable, rust fast, etc. This one seems to be a lot better quality than any I've owned in the past. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The key to extending the life of any gas grill? Don't cook hamburgers on it. The massive accumulation of grease and debris compared to other meats is exponential. I try to keep a small Weber kettle style charcoal grill, just for burgers and brats.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Really? Never realized this. I mainly cook sausage, chicken, pork chops and steaks. But I have cooked burgers quite a few times.

Reply/Quote
(09-03-2018, 10:11 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Really? Never realized this. I mainly cook sausage, chicken, pork chops and steaks. But I have cooked burgers quite a few times.

Think about it.  All of that grease and debris builds up on the deflectors, works it's way into the burner rails, and thoroughly coats the entire "basin" of the grill.  That stuff is corrosive.  Who the hell ever takes the time to completely clean all of that stuff?  I know that I don't.

On those rare occasions that I'm too lazy to pull out the charcoal grill, and cook burgers on the gas for convenience;  I always do about a 20 minute "burn off", all burners on high, for about 20 minutes prior to next use.  Seems to help some, but I know that's the lazy way to go about it.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2018, 10:24 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Think about it.  All of that grease and debris builds up on the deflectors, works it's way into the burner rails, and thoroughly coats the entire "basin" of the grill.  That stuff is corrosive.  Who the hell ever takes the time to completely clean all of that stuff?  I know that I don't.

On those rare occasions that I'm too lazy to pull out the charcoal grill, and cook burgers on the gas for convenience;  I always do about a 20 minute "burn off", all burners on high, for about 20 minutes prior to next use.  Seems to help some, but I know that's the lazy way to go about it.

Luckily the gas grill I got a few months back the entire bottom pulls out from the back to be easily cleaned. So far I have just sprayed it off in the yard, but before winter sets in, I will probably give it a good scrubbing with some hot water and dawn. This is something all gas grills should have, makes cleaning 100xs easier.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
I heard Chad has his for sale on Ebay
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2018, 06:57 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Luckily the gas grill I got a few months back the entire bottom pulls out from the back to be easily cleaned. So far I have just sprayed it off in the yard, but before winter sets in, I will probably give it a good scrubbing with some hot water and dawn. This is something all gas grills should have, makes cleaning 100xs easier.

That's good advice. I swear my last grill had a tin drip pan (if not tin, something very thin and cheap). It rusted out in 2 years. UGH. Damn Backyard Grill from Walmart. This grill, the drip pan is heavy coated metal and easily pulls out for cleaning. The other didnt do that so I never screwed with it and the results showed. Wish I wasn't so lazy about things sometimes.

Reply/Quote
(09-05-2018, 07:06 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I heard Chad has his for sale on Ebay

I ain't cooking burritos on the grill. 

Reply/Quote
This is certainly the time of year to buy a grill. Everybody wants a new one in spring, but the great deals are now.
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2018, 07:25 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This is certainly the time of year to buy a grill.  Everybody wants a new one in spring, but the great deals are now.

We saved a few hundred on this one. Lowes had the Labor Day sale. There were a lot of people in the grill section. As a plus, there was a new model# for the same grill, so they were trying to get rid of these a little harder. Both grills were sitting side by side. Couldn't tell a difference except for the color of the lid. 

Reply/Quote
(09-05-2018, 07:10 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I ain't cooking burritos on the grill. 

Why not?  Grilled carne asada is awesome.  Hell, I always cook the meat for fajitas or burritos on the grill (unless it's a downpour or snowing)  

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2018, 08:25 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Why not?  Grilled carne asada is awesome.  Hell, I always cook the meat for fajitas or burritos on the grill (unless it's a downpour or snowing)  

You cut it after I assume?

Reply/Quote
(09-05-2018, 08:36 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: You cut it after I assume?

Depends on what I'm cooking.  If it's chicken breasts, then yes, after cooking.  If it's beef?  I usually slice it thin, and cook it really quick. (I hate tough steak)  If it's pork, depends on the cut I'm using.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote