Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bought a real heater
Years ago in Dayton one winter it was below zero and I was painting cars in my dad's old wood 2 car garage.  Zero insulation and 2 thin overhead doors.  Without heat it was a freezer, but light up one of these sunny mokoes  and I could heat the place up to 90° F in a matter of minutes. Back then I'd heat the garage to well over 100°, shut it down and paint and turn it back on when I was done..So anyway here in South Carolina it's seldom if ever below zero, but it does get quite cold in my shop especially at night or soon as the sun starts to set. I decided I wanted another one so I got it for $109. It warmed up  the shop and half the house in just a few minutes on high,  but these do need some fresh air coming in so you don't die form carbon monoxide poisoning. (not nearly as much fun as seen on TV) They come with the hose and regulator and the only thing you have to supply it a propane tank and propane in it and of course the fresh air. 
Available at your local Tractor Supply store or other propane and propane accessories stores.
If you need to heat your garage, shop or other places not your home it'll do the job..
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/master-80k-btu-lp-convection-heater-mh-80v-lpc-a?cm_vc=-10005

I tried to link the image, but no dice..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Up to 80,000 BTU and one 20 pound tank should last about 8 hours on high, longer on the low setting..KEEP CHILDREN AWAY FROM THEM AT ALL TIMES..  

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
When i was in college I worked in a big warehouse where they unloaded, sorted, and reloaded packages for Roadway Parcel service. They used those big kerosene heaters that looked like a torpedo on wheels. Probably overkill for a garage but they sure put out the heat. Problem was I worked in the trailers stripping and stacking cargo and there was never any heat that got into them. They were basically freezers in the winter and ovens in the summer.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2021, 08:04 PM)fredtoast Wrote: When i was in college I worked in a big warehouse where they unloaded, sorted, and reloaded packages for Roadway Parcel service.  They used those big kerosene heaters that looked like a torpedo on wheels.  Probably overkill for a garage but they sure put out the heat.  Problem was I worked in the trailers stripping and stacking cargo and there was never any heat that got into them.  They were basically freezers in the winter and ovens in the summer.

My truck unloading and loading days were before all the containerized freight came along when the truck was whatever the weather was. I unloaded a long ass trailer full of frozen meat, all 50 pound bags stacked to the rafters. Took all day and there were no gloves or mittens available..That sucked big time..  No pallets back in those days.. The pallet never went inside the trailer so by the time we got to the front of the trailer  we had to carry every bag the length of the trailer and back for a measly 20 bucks..we thought we were shittin in high cotton back then.  lol
15 bucks an hour back then?  In our dreams..We were lucky to get $2.50. Freight yards hardly paid minimum wage and if they did those jobs were grabbed up real quick.  A lot of the older guys remember what it was like when all the big factories shut down all over the Midwest. Young, unskilled labor almost never got paid much more than 1.50.. Hard to believe I could afford an old hoopty on that money. 

Reply/Quote
(11-29-2021, 08:56 PM)grampahol Wrote: My truck unloading and loading days were before all the containerized freight came along when the truck was whatever the weather was. I unloaded a long ass trailer full of frozen meat, all 50 pound bags stacked to the rafters. Took all day and there were no gloves or mittens available..That sucked big time..  No pallets back in those days.. The pallet never went inside the trailer so by the time we got to the front of the trailer  we had to carry every bag the length of the trailer and back for a measly 20 bucks..we thought we were shittin in high cotton back then.  lol
15 bucks an hour back then?  In our dreams..We were lucky to get $2.50. Freight yards hardly paid minimum wage and if they did those jobs were grabbed up real quick.  A lot of the older guys remember what it was like when all the big factories shut down all over the Midwest. Young, unskilled labor almost never got paid much more than 1.50.. Hard to believe I could afford an old hoopty on that money. 

When was this?
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2021, 01:30 AM)CKwi88 Wrote: When was this?

Mid 70s in Ohio and the rest of the rust belt.. 

Reply/Quote
(11-29-2021, 08:56 PM)grampahol Wrote: My truck unloading and loading days were before all the containerized freight came along when the truck was whatever the weather was. I unloaded a long ass trailer full of frozen meat, all 50 pound bags stacked to the rafters. Took all day and there were no gloves or mittens available..That sucked big time..  No pallets back in those days.. The pallet never went inside the trailer so by the time we got to the front of the trailer  we had to carry every bag the length of the trailer and back for a measly 20 bucks..we thought we were shittin in high cotton back then.  lol

I got paid pretty well, but the work was brutal.  The trailers were all packed with random stuff.  Sometimes you would get a trailer with boxes of hats that weighed nothing, but one time I got a truck loaded with grave marker slabs that weighed like 50 lbs each.  Stripping out the cargo was hard work but you could do it fast.  Loading was brutal because there were so many random sized packages it was like putting a puzzle together to get them all loaded.  And if you didn't do it fast enough the conveyor belt backed up.

The shifts started at 4 AM.  They only lasted about 4-5 hours but it backbreaking labor.
Reply/Quote
I picked up a lot of work from random freight yards, truck stops and so on. Back then hitch hiking was legal just about everywhere and I enjoyed traveling coast to coast a lot. I unloaded everything from frozen bags of meat, produce..once unloaded watermelons one at a time,  lumber, you name it.  Picked crops in season, worked in scrap yards, trash trucks..all kinds of manual labor back then. 
Trash back then was terrible. They had nothing but those old steel cans and one area I worked we had to carry them up and down driveways. The residents, god forbid never touched their own garbage..hilly rich area of town.. 
Man..that was a job that got you in shape really quick..lol Dragging a hundred pounds of trash up and down hills all day and running to keep up with the truck..
I laugh at our trash pickup guys now..almost everything is semi-automated on wheels. I joke with them saying when we were kids we didn't have wheels on trash cans.  Hilarious
I guess the big plastic cans on wheels came around the late 80s, early 90s..sooner in some areas, later in others. 

Reply/Quote
(11-30-2021, 05:12 PM)grampahol Wrote: I laugh at our trash pickup guys now..almost everything is semi-automated on wheels. I joke with them saying when we were kids we didn't have wheels on trash cans.  Hilarious
I guess the big plastic cans on wheels came around the late 80s, early 90s..sooner in some areas, later in others. 

When I was a teenager baling hay was super labor intensive.  Each square bale had to be thrown up on a truck.  Then a guy on the truck had to stack it.  Then it had to be unloaded by hand and stacked in the barn.

It was done in the hottest part of summer and you had to wear long sleeves to keep your arms from getting all scratched up.  It was ball busting work and it took a whole crew.

Now one guy with a tractor can bale a field and then take in the huge round rolls without ever even getting out of his seat.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2021, 11:31 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I got paid pretty well, but the work was brutal.  The trailers were all packed with random stuff.  Sometimes you would get a trailer with boxes of hats that weighed nothing, but one time I got a truck loaded with grave marker slabs that weighed like 50 lbs each.  Stripping out the cargo was hard work but you could do it fast.  Loading was brutal because there were so many random sized packages it was like putting a puzzle together to get them all loaded.  And if you didn't do it fast enough the conveyor belt backed up.

The shifts started at 4 AM.  They only lasted about 4-5 hours but it backbreaking labor.

I used to load and unload luggage from airplanes.  It was the most brutal job I've ever worked.  It's like you said, sometimes stuff ways a few pounds.  Other times, it's a suitcase filled with 90 pounds of spices from the Middle East coming in from the late international flights or worse, a small airplane tire.  All that plus dealing with whatever shitty weather CVG was experiencing at the time was zero fun at all.
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2021, 12:50 AM)fredtoast Wrote: When I was a teenager baling hay was super labor intensive.  Each square bale had to be thrown up on a truck.  Then a guy on the truck had to stack it.  Then it had to be unloaded by hand and stacked in the barn.

It was done in the hottest part of summer and you had to wear long sleeves to keep your arms from getting all scratched up.  It was ball busting work and it took a whole crew.

Now one guy with a tractor can bale a field and then take in the huge round rolls without ever even getting out of his seat.

I did hay a few days of my life..Never did it again.. LOL
Anyone ever work on a trash truck back before wheeled trash cans? Back when everyone had steel cans and everyone threw away bricks every week? That was no goddamned fun..

Reply/Quote
(12-06-2021, 12:50 AM)fredtoast Wrote: When I was a teenager baling hay was super labor intensive.  Each square bale had to be thrown up on a truck.  Then a guy on the truck had to stack it.  Then it had to be unloaded by hand and stacked in the barn.

I still do about 2000 square bales a year that way. As you know WV is not flat so there are areas we just cannot round bale. A couple thousand squares isn't much for an entire summer but still alot of work for 2 people. I've been doing it since I was able to pull bales into piles even if I couldnt put them on the wagon and I still have to wear long sleeves because I break out.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(12-08-2021, 05:13 AM)Synric Wrote:  A couple thousand squares isn't much for an entire summer but still alot of work for 2 people.

It is not just putting it up in the summer.

It is also 10X the work when you have to feed it out in the winter.

I feel for you.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2021, 11:31 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I got paid pretty well, but the work was brutal.  The trailers were all packed with random stuff.  Sometimes you would get a trailer with boxes of hats that weighed nothing, but one time I got a truck loaded with grave marker slabs that weighed like 50 lbs each.  Stripping out the cargo was hard work but you could do it fast.  Loading was brutal because there were so many random sized packages it was like putting a puzzle together to get them all loaded.  And if you didn't do it fast enough the conveyor belt backed up.

I know what you mean, I did it for UPS one summer. 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-08-2021, 03:56 AM)grampahol Wrote:  Back when everyone had steel cans and everyone threw away bricks every week? 

Steel cans?

Bricks?

LUXURY!!!

When I worked as a garbage man we had to carry the trash in our arms and stuffed down our pants.  And people threw away live rabid badgers and red-hot glowing coals three times a day.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2021, 10:56 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Steel cans?

Bricks?

LUXURY!!!

When I worked as a garbage man we had to carry the trash in our arms and stuffed down our pants.  And people threw away live rabid badgers and red-hot glowing coals three times a day.

And the only thing you could get for lunch was those rabid badgers while they were still quite alive and fighting back..right?

Reply/Quote
Thinking about that heater..It's going back..Way too much carbon monoxide coming from it. I'm considering a natural gas unit, but that'll be a bit of work to install. I'd much rather go with ventless propane.. I did have a propane heater very similar to it years ago that burned off the carbon monoxide, but this one doesn't. If you've never had carbon monoxide poisoning it's no fun at all and you won't usually know it till it's already in your blood stream and then it takes a few days to rid yourself of it if it doesn't kill you first..

Reply/Quote
(12-08-2021, 12:18 PM)grampahol Wrote: And the only thing you could get for lunch was those rabid badgers while they were still quite alive and fighting back..right?

Reply/Quote
(12-08-2021, 02:30 PM)fredtoast Wrote:

That's the video I was thinking about..  Were you there when Billy Joe McCallister jumped off the Tallahassee bridge? It was on June 3rd..

Reply/Quote