Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bourbon
I got the spring Whisky Drop by Maker’s Mark the other day. This one had a Private Selection “Roasted French Mocha” and a Wood Finishing Series MR 1-3 (Distillery Exclusive). It wasn’t very clear, but I’m pretty sure the Private Selection is exclusive to the Whisky Drop (at least for now).

I also picked up a bottle of Calumet Farm 15 Year. I really liked the 14 year fro 2020, so I figured I’d grab this one. The Calumet website lists the availability level  as “low/rare”, whatever that means.
Reply/Quote
I stopped at my local store and they had Elijah Craig Barrel Proof. I thought “Do I have a bottle of this? No, I don’t think I do. I have Toasted Barrel. Do I have a Barrel Proof?” So I bought it. Got home and right there on the shelf is an Elijah Craig Barrel Proof. Luckily, the one I just bought is a batch A121 and the one I already had is a batch B519. So, it worked out.
Reply/Quote
So it’s not a bottle, but I booked a trip down on the bourbon trail for August. We were going to do it last September for my 40th, but for obvious reasons we couldn’t. 

Log Still Distillery is really trying to make a more unique distillery experience and one of the cooler things they currently have is a bed & breakfast and a cottage. We booked the cottage for the weekend (myself, my wife and two of our friends). The Maker’s Mark Whiskey Drop program includes a “private VIP tour and tasting”, so we’re going to get that in and we booked the Honey Spot Barrel Thieving experience at Bardstown Bourbon Company. Finishing up the day with dinner at The Kitchen at Bardstown Bourbon Company. Depending on time we might hit up Willett as well.

Should be a good time (and I’m hoping they’ll let us take a peek at the Whiskey Library )
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2021, 05:48 PM)Donnyho Wrote: So it’s not a bottle, but I booked a trip down on the bourbon trail for August. We were going to do it last September for my 40th, but for obvious reasons we couldn’t. 

Log Still Distillery is really trying to make a more unique distillery experience and one of the cooler things they currently have is a bed & breakfast and a cottage. We booked the cottage for the weekend (myself, my wife and two of our friends). The Maker’s Mark Whiskey Drop program includes a “private VIP tour and tasting”, so we’re going to get that in and we booked the Honey Spot Barrel Thieving experience at Bardstown Bourbon Company. Finishing up the day with dinner at The Kitchen at Bardstown Bourbon Company. Depending on time we might hit up Willett as well.

Should be a good time (and I’m hoping they’ll let us take a peek at the Whiskey Library )

The vintage stuff in the Library is super intriguing.  I honestly just think it's fascinating those exist, not to mention the opportunity to really step back in history a bit.  

That trip sounds like it should be awesome!  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2021, 06:55 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: The vintage stuff in the Library is super intriguing.  I honestly just think it's fascinating those exist, not to mention the opportunity to really step back in history a bit.  

That trip sounds like it should be awesome!  

I’m hoping!

I picked up a bottle of Makers Mark Wood Finishing Series 2021 Limited Release FAE-01. Haven’t opened it, but all the reviews say it’s fantastic.
Reply/Quote
Barn8, a nicer restaurant about 14 miles from my house, released a single barrel pick of 1792 Full Proof today so I drove over and grabbed one.
Reply/Quote
Went to visit my brother in law over the weekend and did a little bourbon drinking with him and my nephew in law. We had:
1792 Full Proof
Knob Creek 15 year
Willett Family Estate 8 Year
Weller 12 Year
Old Rip Van Winkle
Bookers 16-06 "Noe Hard Times" (he had this unopened)
Willett Family Estate 6 Year rye
EH Taylor Straight Rye

Not a bad night, really.
Reply/Quote
Obviously as most know I am a brewskie drinker so don't drink much Bourbon but I watched WhiskeyVault on youtube
and they were really high on Buffalo Trace and Wyoming Whiskey bourbon which I have seen at our local liquor stores
around here. Gonna try Wyoming Whiskey as it is a local, the Whiskeyvault boys were really high on it.

The one bourbon I have had a bit of is Makers Mark of course, good stuff.

All this stuff is a little spendy for me though as I like to just buy brewskies but I have a bar and need to add some new
bottles of Bourbon to it. Cool thread.

Rock On
Reply/Quote
Picked up a bottle of Sam Houston 15 Year and a bottle of Heaven Hill 6 Year. The Sam Houston cost roughly 11 times more than the Heaven Hill. Really hitting both sides of the price spectrum today.
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2021, 12:41 PM)Donnyho Wrote: Picked up a bottle of Sam Houston 15 Year and a bottle of Heaven Hill 6 Year. The Sam Houston cost roughly 11 times more than the Heaven Hill. Really hitting both sides of the price spectrum today.

How the hell do you afford this stuff Donnyho? You must be a rich man. But I guess if I traded my brewskies for bourbon it would 
probably be about the same lol
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2021, 03:19 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: How the hell do you afford this stuff Donnyho? You must be a rich man. But I guess if I traded my brewskies for bourbon it would 

I wish I was rich. I mean, I’m healthy and have a a great family and 2 dogs & a cat, so I’m rich in those ways. Doesn’t buy bourbon, though.

But, seriously, most things I’m just lucky to find. I also refuse to pay mark ups on anything, unless it’s a few bucks at a mom and pop store (like $80 for a $60 bottle). So that keeps my spending down. I’ve only paid over $100 on a handful of bottles; I live in the $40 to $60 range, usually. And I’ve bought a lot in the past year because, well, I didn’t really have anything else to spend money on (no daycare, no vacation, no restaurants). 
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2021, 07:38 PM)Donnyho Wrote: I wish I was rich. I mean, I’m healthy and have a a great family and 2 dogs & a cat, so I’m rich in those ways. Doesn’t buy bourbon, though.

But, seriously, most things I’m just lucky to find. I also refuse to pay mark ups on anything, unless it’s a few bucks at a mom and pop store (like $80 for a $60 bottle). So that keeps my spending down. I’ve only paid over $100 on a handful of bottles; I live in the $40 to $60 range, usually. And I’ve bought a lot in the past year because, well, I didn’t really have anything else to spend money on (no daycare, no vacation, no restaurants). 

Cool Donny, what is the most expensive bottle of Bourbon you ever bought? Irish?
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2021, 03:19 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: How the hell do you afford this stuff Donnyho? You must be a rich man. But I guess if I traded my brewskies for bourbon it would 

I used to balk at high-price bottles.  But I did the math once on a per-ounce cost of a good craft beer compared to an expensive bottle of whiskey.  What I realized was that the beer I was buying was comparable in price (based on my drink size) to a bottle of booze between $100-150.  Now I'm a sipper, not a slammer, but it definitely made me realize that $80 or $100 for "something special" wasn't really that crazy at the end of the day.  

I was in Cincy the past week visiting family and had some Sycamore small batch bourbon.  I'd never even heard of it till my brother pulled out the bottle.  Super cherry to me upfront on the first sip.  Like sucking on a maraschino cherry almost.  Really enjoyed that pour, and the price point is solid, too.  

Flying out of CVG yesterday (it was National Bourbon Day), they had some special release bottles at Cork n Bottle, but I was in a hurry with kids in tow and didn't linger, so I'm not sure what all was available or the pricing. 
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2021, 07:38 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Obviously as most know I am a brewskie drinker so don't drink much Bourbon but I watched WhiskeyVault on youtube
and they were really high on Buffalo Trace and Wyoming Whiskey bourbon which I have seen at our local liquor stores
around here. Gonna try Wyoming Whiskey as it is a local, the Whiskeyvault boys were really high on it.

The one bourbon I have had a bit of is Makers Mark of course, good stuff.

All this stuff is a little spendy for me though as I like to just buy brewskies but I have a bar and need to add some new
bottles of Bourbon to it. Cool thread.

Rock On

Oh, and I forgot to mention earlier that Whiskey Tribe/Whiskey Vault is some great content.  You can learn a lot from those guys and they're much more approachable than many I've found in terms of reviews and info.  They're down in Austin and I'll be there for work next week.  Tried to get a little group together to do some whiskey tasting at their campus but no time on the calendar.  First time people are meeting at the office in 18 months and we've got too full of a slate of activities already :/ 
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2021, 07:30 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Cool Donny, what is the most expensive bottle of Bourbon you ever bought? Irish?

Actually, I only really buy Kentucky bourbon whiskey. I have a few bottles from other states, but they’re in a cabinet and not out on display. It’s just a little tick I have.

As for my most expensive bottle, it’s either the Sam Houston 15 or the Woodford Reserve Very Fine Rare Bourbon, both were about $140ish. Nothing too crazy.

UPS delivered my summer Whiskey Drop by Makers Mark this afternoon. A bottle of Private Selection “Rich Mendiant” and a bottle of Private Selection “Melted Mocha”.
Reply/Quote
Picked up a bottle of the new Evan Williams 1783 Small Batch. $30 for 1.75ml. Not bad (the whiskey is also supposed to be pretty good, too)
Reply/Quote
I’ve become a big fan of Woodford whiskey lately. Especially the rye.
Reply/Quote
Picked up a couple bottles of Elijah Craig Barrel Proof. I've been going easy on the bourbon for awhile after over indulging. I had a glass of Eagle Rare last night to warm the pallet, then dipped into the ECBP. Mother of God this stuff is a flavor/proof bomb. Being out of the game for awhile it hit me pretty hard. 130 proof will do that to you. But man, it had some heat.

I also picked up a couple bottles of EHT, EHT single barrel, Old Ezra 7, and some more bottles of eagle rare. Haven't gotten into any of them yet, though.

I'm looking for the FR single barrel OHLQ release. Doubt I find one though.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2021, 06:20 PM)Donnyho Wrote: Actually, I only really buy Kentucky bourbon whiskey. I have a few bottles from other states, but they’re in a cabinet and not out on display. It’s just a little tick I have.

As for my most expensive bottle, it’s either the Sam Houston 15 or the Woodford Reserve Very Fine Rare Bourbon, both were about $140ish. Nothing too crazy.

UPS delivered my summer Whiskey Drop by Makers Mark this afternoon. A bottle of Private Selection “Rich Mendiant” and a bottle of Private Selection “Melted Mocha”.

We call that counterfeit bourbon. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(06-17-2021, 04:58 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Picked up a couple bottles of Elijah Craig Barrel Proof. I've been going easy on the bourbon for awhile after over indulging. I had a glass of Eagle Rare last night to warm the pallet, then dipped into the ECBP. Mother of God this stuff is a flavor/proof bomb. Being out of the game for awhile it hit me pretty hard. 130 proof will do that to you. But man, it had some heat.

Which bottle did you get? I have a B519 & an A121.

(06-17-2021, 06:00 PM)bfine32 Wrote: We call that counterfeit bourbon. 

I don’t have many and I didn’t purchase any of them. I have a W.H. Harrison out of Indiana that my grandma bought me (I’m from Harrison, OH) a Horse Soldier Barrel Strength out of FL and a Bowman Brothers Small Batch out of VA (won both in a raffle). As stated in a previous sentence, I’m not originally from Kentucky, but I’ve come to love and respect my adopted lands bourbon heritage and traditions. At least the Bowmans is distilled by Buffalo Trace, then shipped to Virginia, then distilled again, barreled and aged. Kind of like a bourbon cousin twice removed or something.
Reply/Quote