Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bourbon
(03-06-2022, 11:28 AM)jfkbengals Wrote: I was at the VA Bold Rock brewery yesterday and found they are now making spirits.  Couldn't get a sample, but went ahead and picked up a bottle of their bourbon.  I don't recommend it.  Had one sip out of it on the rocks and knew I made a mistake.  I added a dash of water to see if that would open up some flavor and aroma, but no avail.  I muscled down the remainder of that glass, and the remainder of the bottle will now be earmarked for consumption with Coke.  Not the ideal outcome for $38.

Not familiar with that one, but I've had a few bottles where I didn't like the first drink.  Let it sit a couple months on the shelf forgetting about it, and then it turned out to be pretty good.  I also have bottles I didn't like, let sit and still never liked.  At least it was a $40 bottle and not a $60-80 like a craft bourbon!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2022, 11:28 AM)jfkbengals Wrote:    
I was at the VA Bold Rock brewery yesterday and found they are now making spirits.  Couldn't get a sample, but went ahead and picked up a bottle of their bourbon.  I don't recommend it.  Had one sip out of it on the rocks and knew I made a mistake.  I added a dash of water to see if that would open up some flavor and aroma, but no avail.  I muscled down the remainder of that glass, and the remainder of the bottle will now be earmarked for consumption with Coke.  Not the ideal outcome for $38.

If you can zoom in, look on the top shelf to the right of the mirror.  You'll see a freshly opened bottle of some rather expensive Booker's.  It tasted like battery acid.  My buddy said, we'll let that one "breath" for about 6 months, and then it will likely taste much different.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2022, 03:58 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: If you can zoom in, look on the top shelf to the right of the mirror.  You'll see a freshly opened bottle of some rather expensive Booker's.  It tasted like battery acid.  My buddy said, we'll let that one "breath" for about 6 months, and then it will likely taste much different.

I don't know about any of that. I've had bottles for years and see very little change in the complexion over time if they are kept in a bottle with the cork in. Now if you put them in a decanter, a certain amount of the alcohol will evaporate, but in a sealed bottle nothing is going to change. I've heard all the myths about headspace, etc., I just don't buy it because in my 44 years of drinking bourbon, I just haven't found it to be true. It's not like a cigar where the complexion will change over time in a humidor, it's in a sealed bottle. Whiskey does not age in a bottle. 
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2022, 09:22 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I don't know about any of that. I've had bottles for years and see very little change in the complexion over time if they are kept in a bottle with the cork in. Now if you put them in a decanter, a certain amount of the alcohol with evaporate, but in a sealed bottle nothing is going to change. I've heard all the myths about headspace, etc., I just don't buy it because in my 44 years of drinking bourbon, I just haven't found it to be true. It's not like a cigar where the complexion will change over time in a humidor, it's in a sealed bottle. Whiskey does not age in a bottle. 

I wondered about that myself, when he said that.  However, I wasn't about to piss on his parade while he was proudly sharing some of his collection with me.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2022, 09:24 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I wondered about that myself, when he said that.  However, I wasn't about to piss on his parade while he was proudly sharing some of his collection with me.

Totally get that!!!
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2022, 09:22 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I don't know about any of that. I've had bottles for years and see very little change in the complexion over time if they are kept in a bottle with the cork in. Now if you put them in a decanter, a certain amount of the alcohol with evaporate, but in a sealed bottle nothing is going to change. I've heard all the myths about headspace, etc., I just don't buy it because in my 44 years of drinking bourbon, I just haven't found it to be true. It's not like a cigar where the complexion will change over time in a humidor, it's in a sealed bottle. Whiskey does not age in a bottle. 

(03-08-2022, 09:24 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I wondered about that myself, when he said that.  However, I wasn't about to piss on his parade while he was proudly sharing some of his collection with me.

I go back and forth on this. There have been blind taste tests and people can't tell the difference between a neck pour and a bottle that's been open for a while. But in my personal experience, I've had bottles I hated when I first opened and then after some months on the shelf they were better. It's most likely just a taste thing, though. The same thing can taste differently from one day to the next and depends to some extent on mood and environment. But even if that's the case, letting it sit and coming back to it can still "work" even if the juice isn't changing.

I've not had any Bookers myself. I've been hesitant to grab a bottle as I have heard it's very nutty, and I'm really not a fan of nutty bourbon. I need to check out a local whiskey bar to try some first. Battery acid is a note I haven't heard yet, though!
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2022, 01:31 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: I go back and forth on this.  There have been blind taste tests and people can't tell the difference between a neck pour and a bottle that's been open for a while.  But in my personal experience, I've had bottles I hated when I first opened and then after some months on the shelf they were better.  It's most likely just a taste thing, though.  The same thing can taste differently from one day to the next and depends to some extent on mood and environment.  But even if that's the case, letting it sit and coming back to it can still "work" even if the juice isn't changing.  

I've not had any Bookers myself.  I've been hesitant to grab a bottle as I have heard it's very nutty, and I'm really not a fan of nutty bourbon.  I need to check out a local whiskey bar to try some first.  Battery acid is a note I haven't heard yet, though!

I'm sure that our tastes were a bit distorted by then, as we had already tasted about a dozen brands by then, including full pours of Eagle Rare, Buffalo Trace and Woodford Reserve.  That's what happens when old friends get together for the first time in about 15 years.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2022, 01:49 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm sure that our tastes were a bit distorted by then, as we had already tasted about a dozen brands by then, including full pours of Eagle Rare, Buffalo Trace and Woodford Reserve.  That's what happens when old friends get together for the first time in about 15 years.

I know that feeling!  There's no better way to drink bourbon than sharing with old friends over laughs and good stories.  
Reply/Quote
Bookers is very good, In my opinion it is best on the rocks. It is quite strong. It is about 125 proof, so a little ice melting in it takes some of the burn out. I find the 120 proof Knob Creek to be much smoother.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2022, 05:17 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Bookers is very good, In my opinion it is best on the rocks. It is quite strong. It is about 125 proof, so a little ice melting in it takes some of the burn out. I find the 120 proof Knob Creek to be much smoother.

I tasted that one as well, and agree with you on the smoothness.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2022, 05:17 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Bookers is very good, In my opinion it is best on the rocks. It is quite strong. It is about 125 proof, so a little ice melting in it takes some of the burn out. I find the 120 proof Knob Creek to be much smoother.

I find bookers to be pretty solid, but it definitely tends to bring some heat with it.  If any of you come across a knob creek store pick grab it.  I doubt you'll be disappointed 
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2022, 03:58 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: If you can zoom in, look on the top shelf to the right of the mirror.  You'll see a freshly opened bottle of some rather expensive Booker's.  It tasted like battery acid.  My buddy said, we'll let that one "breath" for about 6 months, and then it will likely taste much different.

Never had Booker's not taste good from the moment it was opened, nor (as was already stated) have I heard of a bourbon's flavor changing in the bottle with time.

As others have already stated though, Booker's can seem harsh to some, and a dash of H20 can open it up a bit.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2022, 08:59 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Never had Booker's not taste good from the moment it was opened, nor (as was already stated) have I heard of a bourbon's flavor changing in the bottle with time.

As others have already stated though, Booker's can seem harsh to some, and a dash of H20 can open it up a bit.

The high dollar stuff, we were just tasting neat.  However, I agree that it might have been more appealing over an ice ball.  But, as I also mentioned, we had sampled right good many by then, and it could have just been too stark of a contrast from the one we had just had. We had sampled some Colonel Taylor's earlier, it also had a big bite, but was also very flavorful.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2022, 09:32 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The high dollar stuff, we were just tasting neat.  However, I agree that it might have been more appealing over an ice ball.  But, as I also mentioned, we had sampled right good many by then, and it could have just been too stark of a contrast from the one we had just had.  We had sampled some Colonel Taylor's earlier, it also had a big bite, but was also very flavorful.

That it does.  It is another that benefits from being cold and having a splash of H20 to open up the flavors.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2022, 10:31 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: That it does.  It is another that benefits from being cold and having a splash of H20 to open up the flavors.

MMMMM.... I love Taylor on the rocks. The notes of vanilla are outstanding.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2022, 06:35 PM)Sled21 Wrote: MMMMM.... I love Taylor on the rocks. The notes of vanilla are outstanding.

Most BT products I prefer neat, but will agree at Taylor is amazing with a rock.  I really like the fruit notes I get from the Weller line and ER when neat, though.  

The one whiskey type I will pretty consistently add ice to is rye.  It's about the only hot weather whiskey I'll drink, and with some ice it's super refreshing.  I know this is a bourbon thread, but I picked up some Bear Creek rye last night.  It's a Denver distillery (they have some other interesting products I need to try) and it's 100% rye.  Some interesting flavors, but again, better with ice! 
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2019, 12:04 AM)Wyche Wrote: Gin or rum for me....vodka makes me ill. I keep the bourbon around....and have a double on the rocks now and again. If I'm having more than one beer, it's Yeungling Light....low cal, and about the same carbs as Mich Ultra with a lot more flavor. I do love me some Bombay Sapphire with diet tonic and a lime.....mmmmm.

Did you know that Gin is just juniper-infused Vodka?  Neither did I until I did a mixology course at the Dayton Racquet Club.   Since, I love a good Gin & Tonic...especially since tonic water contains quinine and is the active ingredient in Hydroxycholoquine.  One of the most potent antivirals on the planet.  
Reply/Quote
Picked up a bottle of Uncle Nearest 1884 yesterday. It was stupid smooth.
Reply/Quote
The wife and I went to Barrels and Billlets the other day and did the custom blending that the offer. It’s pretty neat: you get samples of 6 of their bourbons, they show you how to blend and if you like what you made they’ll sell you a bottle of your blend with a custom label. My wife doesn’t care for bourbon at all, but she like her blend so much she bought a bottle.

It’s part of the Louisville Slugger Museum (there’s a little history lesson before you start that explains how bourbon barrels and baseball bats fit together), so if you happen to be in downtown Louisville it’s worth a stop.
Reply/Quote
Picked up Metallica's Blackened and Maker's Mark French Oak Casked. Both were delicious.
Reply/Quote