Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bourbon
Update on the EH Taylor:

My favorite bourbon I've EVER had. Yes...ever.

This is my kind of flavor profile. Carmly, sweet, vanilly, with some baking spices mixed in. Really top notch.

The thing that puts it over the top though is the mouthfeel and the finish. It honestly tastes like you are drinking liquid butter. Its so smooth and buttery - its delicious. The finish is also quite nice. Nothing harsh about it. Anyone else like the EH?
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
I currently have in the cabinet

4 Roses Small Batch
4 Roses Single Barrel
Buffalo Trace
and a bottle of Jameson Irish whiskey

I also have a bottle of Monkey Shoulder scotch. Is there any scotch drinkers in this group?
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
My current whiskey stock is:

Kentucky Gentleman - my everyday mix it with Coke bourbon
Belle Isle Cold Brew Moonshine
Reservoir
Midnight Moon Apple Pie Moonshine
Jameson's Irish Whiskey
Blue Spirits Distiller's Select
Silverback Blackback Straight Bourbon
Silverback Blackback Lucky 13 Rye
Sliverback Blackback Honey Rye
Woodford Reserve
Eagle Rare
Buffalo Trace
Ragged Branch
Jefferson's Very Small Batch
Blanton's
Baker's

and a TEENY bit of Jim Beam Black, and an empty bottle of Booker's that I finished off yesterday...
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2019, 06:57 PM)Donnyho Wrote: On the shelf right now I have:
Maker’s Mark Cask Strength
Old Forester 1920 Prohibition Style
Maker’s Mark 101
Willett Kentucky Straight
Elijah Craig Small Batch
Jeptha Creed
Maker’s Mark
Evan Willians Bottled-In-Bond 100 Proof
Woodford Reserve
Four Roses Single Barrel
Jefferson’s Ocean Aged At Sea
Heaven Hill Old Style Bourbon
Evan Willians 1783

The Willett is probably my favorite. But the Evan Willians Bottled-In-Bond and th Heaven Hill are both damn fine bourbons that cost under $15.

(10-06-2019, 07:57 PM)Donnyho Wrote: I’ve still got these but added:

Eagle Rare 10 Year
Buffalo Trace Straight Bourbon 
Old Bardstown Estate Bottled
Old Forester 1910
Makers Mark Generations of Proof set (bottles of Cask Strength, Makers 46 Cask Strength & Private Select)
Four Roses Small Batch

REALLY need to start drinking.....

On a semi related note, I picked up the bottle of Buffalo Trace when I was at the distillery for their ghost tour. It was free, a lot of fun and ended with a tasting. Recommended.

(03-04-2020, 08:46 PM)Donnyho Wrote: So I’ve added:
Bookers 2019 - 4 “Country Ham”
Old Grand-Dad 114
Weller Antique 107
Weller Special Reserve 
Basil Hayden’s
Michter’s US-1
Peerless Kentucky Straight Bourbon 
Knob Creek 15 year Justin’s House of Bourbon store pick
Larceny

That brings me up to 29 bottles. Yup.

Haven’t killed any of the above bottles (except for the Willett, but I bought a replacement), but I have added:

Weller Special Reserve (2nd bottle)
EH Taylor Small Batch
Blantons
Bakers 7 Year
Four Roses Small Batch Select
Henry McKenna 10 Year Bottled in Bond
Russell’s Reserve Single Barrel
1792 Small Batch
Woodford Reserve Double Oaked
Old Tub
Early Times

I also got the new Keenland Maker’s Mark bottle signed by the 5 jockeys with the most wins at the track, but that’s a collectors bottle, not a drinking one.

I’ve found myself going down r/bourbon and bourbon YouTube rabbit holes, so there’s always something else to look for. But I’m kind of at the point where I have most of the “easily” attainable stuff and I won’t pay secondary, so I might be done buying for a minute (probably not, though).
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2020, 08:12 PM)Donnyho Wrote: I’ve found myself going down r/bourbon and bourbon YouTube rabbit holes, so there’s always something else to look for. But I’m kind of at the point where I have most of the “easily” attainable stuff and I won’t pay secondary, so I might be done buying for a minute (probably not, though).
 Then not 5 days after i wrote this I found and bought an Old Fitzgerald  decanter series 9 year bottled in bond......
Reply/Quote
Over the weekend I picked up:

Old Forrester Single Barrel from Flick’s Package Liquor in Lambertville, MI 
Sam Houston 14 Year Old

The Sam Houston is phenomenal. It’s the most expensive bottle I’ve ever bought, but it’s so very good. Recommend if you can find one.
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2020, 08:12 PM)Donnyho Wrote: Haven’t killed any of the above bottles (except for the Willett, but I bought a replacement), but I have added:

Weller Special Reserve (2nd bottle)
EH Taylor Small Batch
Blantons
Bakers 7 Year
Four Roses Small Batch Select
Henry McKenna 10 Year Bottled in Bond
Russell’s Reserve Single Barrel
1792 Small Batch
Woodford Reserve Double Oaked
Old Tub
Early Times

I also got the new Keenland Maker’s Mark bottle signed by the 5 jockeys with the most wins at the track, but that’s a collectors bottle, not a drinking one.

I’ve found myself going down r/bourbon and bourbon YouTube rabbit holes, so there’s always something else to look for. But I’m kind of at the point where I have most of the “easily” attainable stuff and I won’t pay secondary, so I might be done buying for a minute (probably not, though).

Where are you located and where are you finding this stuff!!! 

I busted open my bottle of Weller Antique 107 this weekend. Man - that was a different experience. It had a nice nose a vanilla but the cherry just took over on the palate. An absolute cherry bomb and decently spiced too for being a wheater. And the finish lasted a life time. Almost like a cherry robutessin flavor. Not sure if I loved it. 

Next on my list if Wild Turkey rare breed. Might go pick a bottle up tonight. 
Reply/Quote
Am I the only one, who that whenever I even see or hear the word bourbon, that I hear the song?

Reply/Quote
I picked up a bottle of Henry McKenna this weekend. It’s a 10 year in bond. Pretty good for around $60

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2020, 05:01 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Where are you located and where are you finding this stuff!!! 

I busted open my bottle of Weller Antique 107 this weekend. Man - that was a different experience. It had a nice nose a vanilla but the cherry just took over on the palate. An absolute cherry bomb and decently spiced too for being a wheater. And the finish lasted a life time. Almost like a cherry robutessin flavor. Not sure if I loved it. 

Next on my list if Wild Turkey rare breed. Might go pick a bottle up tonight. 

I’m a little outside of Louisville. It’s actually pretty hard to find stuff around here most of the time. But it’s weird because you’ll be able to get stuff in odd places. Like, I picked up the Old Fitz 9 year at Kroger. The Henry McKeena was $36 at Costco. Actually, Costco is low key an awesome place to buy bourbon.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2020, 05:45 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: I picked up a bottle of Henry McKenna this weekend.  It’s a 10 year in bond.  Pretty good for around $60

Damn homie - $60 for the Mckenna is steeeeep. 
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2020, 10:49 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Damn homie - $60 for the Mckenna is steeeeep. 

That included tax. I heard the pre tax price was about the going rate. What are you seeing?

Reply/Quote
(08-12-2020, 11:39 AM)BenZoo2 Wrote: That included tax.  I heard the pre tax price was about the going rate.  What are you seeing?

I paid $36 a few weeks ago
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2020, 05:41 PM)Donnyho Wrote: I paid $36 a few weeks ago

[Image: 8945e0a9049716954088b7b87a21b971.jpg]

This is the McKenna I got

Reply/Quote
(08-12-2020, 11:39 AM)BenZoo2 Wrote: That included tax.  I heard the pre tax price was about the going rate.  What are you seeing?

VA is state run liquor stores, and most everything is priced higher than it can be found in other states.  That bottle runs for $39.99 here, when you can find it.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2020, 10:10 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: VA is state run liquor stores, and most everything is priced higher than it can be found in other states.  That bottle runs for $39.99 here, when you can find it.

Ah. I’ve got friends of mine big into bourbon and 2 of them has McKenna in his top 3, for the money. He was stoked I was able to pick it up. We bought 3 total

Reply/Quote
(08-13-2020, 09:49 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: [Image: 8945e0a9049716954088b7b87a21b971.jpg]

This is the McKenna I got

That's the one I got, too.

Picked up a bottle of Elijah Craig barrel proof (B520) yesterday.
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2020, 06:28 AM)Donnyho Wrote: That's the one I got, too.

Picked up a bottle of Elijah Craig barrel proof (B520) yesterday.

EC is always solid in my book

Reply/Quote
(08-13-2020, 10:14 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Ah.  I’ve got friends of mine big into bourbon and 2 of them has McKenna in his top 3, for the money.  He was stoked I was able to pick it up.  We bought 3 total

It's a ten year for around $40 (here in Ohio). I think Eagle Rare is the only other bourbon I know of with that age statement/price. Very good value. 

It also won the 2019 spirit of the year award. Hence why its so damn hard to find now... 
Reply/Quote
Grabbed a Bulleit Bourbon Blenders’ Select the other day. Pretty good pour.
Reply/Quote