Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bourbon
Kroger had Rare Breed on sale, so I grabbed a bottle this afternoon.
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 09:00 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: You’re not missing much there.

You shut your mouth...
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 09:00 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: You’re not missing much there.

You shut your mouth...
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2020, 06:07 PM)Donnyho Wrote: Kroger had Rare Breed on sale, so I grabbed a bottle this afternoon.

Love Rare Breed but the first bottle I got was exponentially better than the second...hopefully the first bottle is the standard. 
Reply/Quote
Picked up a bottle of Larceny Barrel Proof. Been looking for it for a bit. First time I’ve seen one under $90.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2020, 06:43 PM)Donnyho Wrote: Picked up a bottle of Larceny Barrel Proof. Been looking for it for a bit. First time I’ve seen one under $90.

Shocked 

I guess we do get a deal on some things here!  In VA it is $49.99...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2020, 08:12 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Shocked 

I guess we do get a deal on some things here!  In VA it is $49.99...

Yeah, I only paid $53. My local store is pretty good with not jacking up the prices. Others around here? Not so much.

I did see something kind of funny today. I was out, so I stopped into the Kroger liquor store. A guy goes up to the counter and asks the lady if she had the following bottles: Blantons, Elmer T Lee, EH Taylor, Eagle Rare, Buffalo Trace and Very Old Barton. Of course they don’t have them (besides the Barton. I was actually surprised they were out of BT). A second gentleman who was with the first guy says “we’re from Ohio and someone gave us a list of stuff to look for down her because he can't find it at home”. I wish Kentucky was a magical bourbon heaven where everything was available all the time at a Kroger!
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2020, 01:05 PM)Donnyho Wrote: Yeah, I only paid $53. My local store is pretty good with not jacking up the prices. Others around here? Not so much.

I did see something kind of funny today. I was out, so I stopped into the Kroger liquor store. A guy goes up to the counter and asks the lady if she had the following bottles: Blantons, Elmer T Lee, EH Taylor, Eagle Rare, Buffalo Trace and Very Old Barton. Of course they don’t have them (besides the Barton. I was actually surprised they were out of BT). A second gentleman who was with the first guy says “we’re from Ohio and someone gave us a list of stuff to look for down her because he can't find it at home”. I wish Kentucky was a magical bourbon heaven where everything was available all the time at a Kroger!

That is the only advantage to VA ABC.  The price is the same in every location, unless the item is on clearance at a particular location.  Sales are available in every store statewide, so the only way you can pay more than another location is a clearance price.  I have to admit that I don't understand the clearance concept, as a product that is just taking up shelf space could be sent back to the main warehouse to be redistributed to the locations that do sell move it regularly.  Alas, I can't complain, as that is how I got my Filibuster Double Barreled for $26 instead of $47.  My buddy tasted it and liked it so much he went back and bought up the remainder!
Reply/Quote
Got a bottle of the Makers Mark 2020 limited release wood finishing series SE4 x PR5 at my local store yesterday.
Reply/Quote
Got a bottle of Bookers 2020-03 “Pigskin Batch”. It’s the first Bookers I’ve heard anything great about this year.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2020, 06:16 PM)Donnyho Wrote: Got a bottle of Bookers 2020-03 “Pigskin Batch”. It’s the first Bookers I’ve heard anything great about this year.

Got the same bottle. Pretty good. Very peanut buttery. 
Reply/Quote
Where y'all scoring all of these Weller varieties? I have a fifth and a half gallon of the green label, but the 12 and Antique are increasingly rare and marked up in these parts, and my supply is at critical levels. I mean, I've got 5 bottles of Eagle Rare (it's everywhere I turn it seems) and even got a couple Blanton's, but I can't find Weller anywhere. If I do, they want WAY too much for it. I'm not paying 100 bucks for Antique or 200 for 12 yr. Eff that shit!

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-22-2020, 07:51 PM)Wyche Wrote: Where y'all scoring all of these Weller varieties? I have a fifth and a half gallon of the green label, but the 12 and Antique are increasingly rare and marked up in these parts, and my supply is at critical levels. I mean, I've got 5 bottles of Eagle Rare (it's everywhere I turn it seems) and even got a couple Blanton's, but I can't find Weller anywhere. If I do, they want WAY too much for it. I'm not paying 100 bucks for Antique or 200 for 12 yr. Eff that shit!

I’ve never seen 12 year, Single Barrel or Full Proof, but I do have 2 bottles of Antique 107. For some reason it’s fairly easy to find in Ohio. I’ll check the OLHQ website, and if the liquor store in my hometown has them in I’ll call my mom and ask her to drive up the street to grab a bottle.

But, yeah, I live right outside Louisville and I hate seeing Antique for $200+. It’s insane.
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2020, 09:35 PM)Donnyho Wrote: I’ve never seen 12 year, Single Barrel or Full Proof, but I do have 2 bottles of Antique 107. For some reason it’s fairly easy to find in Ohio. I’ll check the OLHQ website, and if the liquor store in my hometown has them in I’ll call my mom and ask her to drive up the street to grab a bottle.

But, yeah, I live right outside Louisville and I hate seeing Antique for $200+. It’s insane.

For real....how the hell are WE getting robbed in the state that makes it?!

I've never seen single barrel or full proof either. I stumbled across a 12 yr a couple years ago. There may be one or two drinks left in it.

Thanks for the tip on that website. I'mma bookmark that jewel....lol.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Picked up a bottle of Bardstown Bourbon Company Fusion Series #3. It’s not bad.

A “nicer” liquor store in town has a tasting room, but it’s been closed since May. So they’ve been doing “Flight of the Week to Go”. This week, to close out the year, the flight is 1 oz each of:

Old Rip Van Winkle 10 Year
Van Winkle Special Reserve
Pappy Van Winkle’s Family Reserve 15 year
Pappy Van Winkle’s Family Reserve 20 year

for $100 (usually $120!). So I bought one to have on NYE. I understand that it’s kind of ridiculous, but it’s been a crap year, so what the hell.
Reply/Quote
So I had my Van Winkle flight and I’d rank what I had as:

1- Pappy 15
2 - Special Reserve
3 - Pappy 20
4 - Old Rip

All of them were really good, but I don’t think I’d pay a premium mark up for them again. If I saw a bottle at retail or a little above, I’d definitely buy one. But there are bourbons that I personally enjoy just as much that are far cheaper.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2019, 03:13 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: [Image: e4cf26fb47089ebef3622db69ac39129.jpg]

This was our panel for a bourbon tasting last Friday night.

What bourbons are you all drinking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have Knob Creek and Buffalo Trace in the cabinet. Give them a try..... 
Reply/Quote
I have Knob Creek and Buffalo Trace in cabinet.....
Reply/Quote
Stopped in my Kroger liquor store and picked up a Woodford Reserve Master’s Collection Very Fine Rare Bourbon and an EH Taylor Small batch.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2021, 01:09 PM)kalibengal Wrote: I have Knob Creek and Buffalo Trace in the cabinet. Give them a try..... 

I have Belle Meade coming in a trade with a guy. I've heard its incredible. 
Reply/Quote