Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bourbon
Enjoying a glass of Ragged Branch as I type this and watch my recording of last nights game...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 01:48 PM)Wyche Wrote: Thanks.... I'm gonna try it, and look for the Harper's too.

I think you'll like them.  I'm hoping to snag some lees this fall
Reply/Quote
Picked up that Michter's today.....on sale at Kroger for 30 bucks! I'll give it a taste next weekend, still fighting off the tail end of hayfever, don't want to ruin the taste...lol.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
They also had a bottle of 15 year IW Harper....85 bucks was a little too rich for my blood this weekend... LOL

Reply/Quote
(09-07-2019, 07:04 PM)Wyche Wrote: They also had a bottle of 15 year IW Harper....85 bucks was a little too rich for my blood this weekend... LOL

That sounds good though!
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2019, 07:03 PM)Wyche Wrote: Picked up that Michter's today.....on sale at Kroger for 30 bucks! I'll give it a taste next weekend, still fighting off the tail end of hayfever, don't want to ruin the taste...lol.

I wish I could buy bourbon at Kroger Sad
Reply/Quote
I have a barrel in my basement with a 12-year-old in it.

But don't tell anyone.

Nervous
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2019, 11:55 AM)jfkbengals Wrote: I wish I could buy bourbon at Kroger Sad

I just bring my own when I'm shopping there....
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote

[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2019, 01:00 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I have a barrel in my basement with a 12-year-old in it.

But don't tell anyone.

Nervous

Better let him out! Nervous
Reply/Quote
[Image: 70903090_1405208369627370_43366819296391...e=5DF92F9C]
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2019, 06:48 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: That sounds good though!

If they still have it, I'll probably spring for it around the holidays.

Popped the cork on the Michter's yesterday for a couple of glasses. I really enjoyed it. Thanks for the tip!

Reply/Quote
(09-22-2019, 11:55 AM)jfkbengals Wrote: I wish I could buy bourbon at Kroger Sad

Ours was remodeled into a Marketplace a few years ago, it has a liquor store off to the side with a separate entrance. They have a decent selection of spirits and wines. They also don't mark up the hard to find whiskeys, and often have sales on some of them. The last bottle of Blanton's I bought there was 44 bucks on sale.

Reply/Quote
(09-30-2019, 11:45 AM)Wyche Wrote: Ours was remodeled into a Marketplace a few years ago, it has a liquor store off to the side with a separate entrance. They have a decent selection of spirits and wines. They also don't mark up the hard to find whiskeys, and often have sales on some of them. The last bottle of Blanton's I bought there was 44 bucks on sale.

Almost fainted as I read that...

Liquor in VA is state controlled, so you have to go to a state run store that charges a stupid mark up.
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2019, 11:42 AM)Wyche Wrote: If they still have it, I'll probably spring for it around the holidays.

Popped the cork on the Michter's yesterday for a couple of glasses. I really enjoyed it. Thanks for the tip!

You're welcome.  Glad you like it!
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2019, 07:37 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Almost fainted as I read that...

Liquor in VA is state controlled, so you have to go to a state run store that charges a stupid mark up.

LOL, I couldn't get to the register fast enough!

That's BS.

Reply/Quote
(08-13-2019, 06:57 PM)Donnyho Wrote: On the shelf right now I have:
Maker’s Mark Cask Strength
Old Forester 1920 Prohibition Style
Maker’s Mark 101
Willett Kentucky Straight
Elijah Craig Small Batch
Jeptha Creed
Maker’s Mark
Evan Willians Bottled-In-Bond 100 Proof
Woodford Reserve
Four Roses Single Barrel
Jefferson’s Ocean Aged At Sea
Heaven Hill Old Style Bourbon
Evan Willians 1783

The Willett is probably my favorite. But the Evan Willians Bottled-In-Bond and th Heaven Hill are both damn fine bourbons that cost under $15.

I’ve still got these but added:

Eagle Rare 10 Year
Buffalo Trace Straight Bourbon 
Old Bardstown Estate Bottled
Old Forester 1910
Makers Mark Generations of Proof set (bottles of Cask Strength, Makers 46 Cask Strength & Private Select)
Four Roses Small Batch

REALLY need to start drinking.....

On a semi related note, I picked up the bottle of Buffalo Trace when I was at the distillery for their ghost tour. It was free, a lot of fun and ended with a tasting. Recommended.
Reply/Quote
Is anyone else a Makers Mark Ambassador? If you don’t know about the program, it’s pretty cool (and free). When you sign up they put your name on a new barrel and keep track of its aging. When your barrel is bottled, they send you the dates and you get a free tour of the distillery. After the tour you get to dip a bottle from your batch in the wax and they have special ambassador labels for them. Also you get gifts at Christmas every year. I’ve gotten everything from Makers Mark wrapping paper, to socks, to Christmas sweaters for the bourbon bottle. (I’m actually an “Ambassador for Life” now, since my barrel came up years ago).
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2019, 08:06 PM)Donnyho Wrote: Is anyone else a Makers Mark Ambassador? If you don’t know about the program, it’s pretty cool (and free). When you sign up they put your name on a new barrel and keep track of its aging. When your barrel is bottled, they send you the dates and you get a free tour of the distillery. After the tour you get to dip a bottle from your batch in the wax and they have special ambassador labels for them. Also you get gifts at Christmas every year. I’ve gotten everything from Makers Mark wrapping paper, to socks, to Christmas sweaters for the bourbon bottle. (I’m actually an “Ambassador for Life” now, since my barrel came up years ago).

don't know what the brand was but my dad did that with the new place they opened in Newport... He had to wait 5 or so years to get his bottle but I think he was happy with it.
Reply/Quote
I gave up drinking a few years ago since I just can't tolerate it anymore. BUT..I still have half a bottle of Ainsley Brea single malt scotch whiskey. if you're into scotch Ainsley Brea is about as good as it gets.. 
I picked up the scotch habit way back when i used to swipe the old man's booze as a kid. Yup, I was the kid who swiped half a bottle and refilled it with water then one day the old man gave me the hairy eyeball about his scotch tasting watered down so being the forthright, honest kid I was at the time I blamed my brother.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote