Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bourbon
(08-14-2019, 11:05 PM)Wyche Wrote: My favorite is Elmer T Lee....my favorite that I can actually find from time to time is Blanton's.

Right now I have:

Old Forrester 1920 Prohibition
Weller Special Reserve
Weller Antique
Weller 12 year
Blanton's
Elmer T Lee
Willett
Noah's Mill
Woodford Reserve
Four Roses Single Barrel
Four Roses Small Batch Select
Old Granddad 114

....and a quart or two of Eastern Kentucky spring water....

Blanton's is my favorite as well.  It's gotten very scarce in the last few years.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2019, 08:15 PM)bfine32 Wrote: My wife doesn't drink and I don't drink hard liquor. But she will get tipsy on bourbon balls

Don’t think I’ve ever drank bourbon. Has always been beer with a few short binges of Jack Daniels, Windsor, gin or vodka. However, my wife’s father used to make bourbon balls when she was younger and she loved how good they were, so we made a few batches this Christmas. The first batch wasn’t as good as the second, but they are very good.

We also made bourbon meatballs (a recipe that appeared on a google search while looking for a recipe for bourbon balls to compare with the recipe he handed down). They were pretty delicious.

(09-07-2019, 07:03 PM)Wyche Wrote: Picked up that Michter's today.....on sale at Kroger for 30 bucks! I'll give it a taste next weekend, still fighting off the tail end of hayfever, don't want to ruin the taste...lol.

Our small town liquor store closed a few months back so went to Kroger in Greenville, OH to buy some bourbon for the recipes mentioned above. It was fairly priced, but you could only get diluted, so didn’t buy there. Ended up purchasing a bottle of Evan Williams at our local Walgreens.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2019, 02:07 AM)samhain Wrote: Blanton's is my favorite as well.  It's gotten very scarce in the last few years.

I just looked at the VA ABC site, and the closest store to me (Richmond suburbs) that has it is 53 miles away, and they have 1 bottle...
Reply/Quote
Makers Mark and Makers Mark 46.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2019, 06:31 PM)Jason_NC Wrote: Makers Mark and Makers Mark 46.

Nice!  I took my Dad a bottle of Makers Mark 46 for Christmas.  He stood up, smiled and motioned me into the dining room.  He then pointed to a freshly opened bottle of Woodford Reserve sitting on the buffet.  And then proceeded to grip about the new restrictions, reducing the amount of duty free alcohol that he can bring home from his cruises.   LOL

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2019, 06:37 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Nice!  I took my Dad a bottle of Makers Mark 46 for Christmas.  He stood up, smiled and motioned me into the dining room.  He then pointed to a freshly opened bottle of Woodford Reserve sitting on the buffet.  And then proceeded to grip about the new restrictions, reducing the amount of duty free alcohol that he can bring home from his cruises.   LOL

I'm generally not a big fan of bourbon.  I got sick off Jim Beam as a teenager, and for years the smell reminded me of getting sick.  But I really like Makers Mark.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2019, 07:57 PM)Donnyho Wrote: I’ve still got these but added:

Eagle Rare 10 Year
Buffalo Trace Straight Bourbon 
Old Bardstown Estate Bottled
Old Forester 1910
Makers Mark Generations of Proof set (bottles of Cask Strength, Makers 46 Cask Strength & Private Select)
Four Roses Small Batch

REALLY need to start drinking.....

On a semi related note, I picked up the bottle of Buffalo Trace when I was at the distillery for their ghost tour. It was free, a lot of fun and ended with a tasting.

So I’ve added:
Bookers 2019 - 4 “Country Ham”
Old Grand-Dad 114
Weller Antique 107
Weller Special Reserve 
Basil Hayden’s
Michter’s US-1
Peerless Kentucky Straight Bourbon 
Knob Creek 15 year Justin’s House of Bourbon store pick
Larceny

That brings me up to 29 bottles. Yup.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2020, 08:46 PM)Donnyho Wrote: So I’ve added:
Bookers 2019 - 4 “Country Ham”
Old Grand-Dad 114
Weller Antique 107
Weller Special Reserve 
Basil Hayden’s
Michter’s US-1
Peerless Kentucky Straight Bourbon 
Knob Creek 15 year Justin’s House of Bourbon store pick
Larceny

That brings me up to 29 bottles. Yup.

Nice.  I've had a couple knob creek store picks that are nothing short of delicious.  Snagged a buffalo trace as well
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2020, 08:50 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Nice.  I've had a couple knob creek store picks that are nothing short of delicious.  Snagged a buffalo trace as well

Knob Creek produces a surprisingly good product, at a working man's price tag.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Still an old Jim Beam fan (especially their Red Stag cherry). Maker's Mark is excellent, Wild Turkey 101 will get ya there quick. Evan Williams is best overall value for both quality and price, you just can't buy a better bourbon for the money. I've never been a fan of high-priced bourbons, to me they are like high-priced beers, way over-rated.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2020, 08:14 PM)Bengalsrob Wrote: Still an old Jim Beam fan (especially their Red Stag cherry). Maker's Mark is excellent, Wild Turkey 101 will get ya there quick. Evan Williams is best overall value for both quality and price, you just can't buy a better bourbon for the money. I've never been a fan of high-priced bourbons, to me they are like high-priced beers, way over-rated.

If they are being mixed, I agree whole heartedly.  99.9% of the time I drink bourbon and coke.  So at restaurants and bars I order the house bourbon.  At home I drink Kentucky Gentleman (about $17 for a handle).  There just isn't a discernible taste when mixed with coke (although there are a few lesser brands that can give a nasty hangover).  But if you are drinking bourbon neat or on the rocks, there is nothing that can compare to the high end brands.  Between smoothness and the complex flavors, they can't be beat.

A tip for all, when drinking bourbon neat, try adding a dash of water.  I don't know the how or why behind it, but doing so tends to open up some of the components aromas and flavors.
Reply/Quote
Like I posted before, I'm in a poker group on Facebook with a bunch of people from around here and further south into Kentucky that plays for bottles of bourbon.

I have 25 or 30 bottles that I've won. Everyone is big on Weller but I wasn't a huge fan. I may have to try it again to just see if it was an off batch.

I have six bottles of Weller, 4 Rose, which I enjoy, Cream of Kentucky, two bottles of Old Carter, one Old Carter Rye, Blanton's Gold, Micther's, MidWinter Night's Dram, Old Fitz 11 Year, Old Scout Single Barrel, Old Fitzgerald 11 year, Elijah Craig, Peerless, Blood Oath, Tumblin Dice, 1792, Barrel Bourbon New Year, Remus Volstead Reserve, WhistlePig Rye, New Riff, Micther's Rye, and probably a few more I'm forgetting.

I also drink Tito's Vodka ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2020, 02:52 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Like I posted before, I'm in a poker group on Facebook with a bunch of people from around here and further south into Kentucky that plays for bottles of bourbon.  

I have 25 or 30 bottles that I've won.  Everyone is big on Weller but I wasn't a huge fan.  I may have to try it again to just see if it was an off batch.  

I have six bottles of Weller, 4 Rose, which I enjoy, Cream of Kentucky, two bottles of Old Carter, one Old Carter Rye, Blanton's Gold, Micther's, MidWinter Night's Dram, Old Fitz 11 Year, Old Scout Single Barrel, Old Fitzgerald 11 year, Elijah Craig, Peerless, Blood Oath, Tumblin Dice, 1792, Barrel Bourbon New Year, Remus Volstead Reserve, WhistlePig Rye, New Riff, Micther's Rye, and probably a few more I'm forgetting.

I also drink Tito's Vodka  ThumbsUp

I mean if you dont want the Weller I will gladly take it off your hands...for a price of course. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2020, 03:10 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I mean if you dont want the Weller I will gladly take it off your hands...for a price of course. 

It's high in demand but we could probably work something out  ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2020, 03:13 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: It's high in demand but we could probably work something out  ThumbsUp

I’d be interested in working something out on anything you might not be too interested in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
Is it a Kentucky law that half of all bourbons have to have "Old" in the name?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-27-2020, 03:23 PM)McC Wrote: Is it a Kentucky law that half of all bourbons have to have "Old" in the name?

Hush up, you old fart!

Reply/Quote
(03-26-2020, 02:52 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Like I posted before, I'm in a poker group on Facebook with a bunch of people from around here and further south into Kentucky that plays for bottles of bourbon.  

I have 25 or 30 bottles that I've won.  Everyone is big on Weller but I wasn't a huge fan.  I may have to try it again to just see if it was an off batch.  

I also drink Tito's Vodka  ThumbsUp

This a pretty damn impressive list. The Blanton's Gold and Old Fitzgerald 11 year are some choice bottles. Love to be able to find either.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2020, 04:01 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Hush up, you old fart!

You sound like my kids.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-27-2020, 03:18 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: I’d be interested in working something out on anything you might not be too interested in

Maybe.  

I plan on continuing to win, so I'll run out of room eventually (already kind of out of room and had someone making plans to build me some shelves before the Winecoolervirus hit) and need to sell some.

ThumbsUp
(03-27-2020, 03:23 PM)McC Wrote: Is it a Kentucky law that half of all bourbons have to have "Old" in the name?
 Hehe

I think they just do it because bourbon is such a tradition in Kentucky.
(03-27-2020, 04:10 PM)Donnyho Wrote: This a pretty damn impressive list. The Blanton's Gold and Old Fitzgerald 11 year are some choice bottles. Love to be able to find either.

Thank ya  ThumbsUp

Like I said, most of these people are good ol' boys from down in Kentucky where bourbon is life.
Reply/Quote