Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boy Scouts lift ban on gay leaders
source (CNN)

Interesting.
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
I thought the title of this article was unfortunate:

http://news.yahoo.com/boy-scouts-lift-blanket-ban-gay-adult-leaders-001105023.html;_ylt=AwrC0F_T17ZVRmwAVVbQtDMD;_ylu=X3oDMTByOHZyb21tBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzcg--

Quote:Boy Scouts lift blanket ban on gay adult leaders, employees
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
This was mg comment on Facebook: As an Eagle Scout that went through Scouting here in the Valley I am happy for this change. It allows the chartered organizations to make up their minds and allows the parents, Scouts, and leaders to have a choice in it all. This may hurt enrollment to some extent, but being a more inclusive organization rather than one making rules based on fallacious reasoning is a step in the right direction. I know many men that are gay that were involved in Scouting and out of respect for the organization they would step away when they came out. It left a hole in their lives because when you commit as some of us have over time you miss it when you are away. I have not been involved for other reasons and I miss it every year during the summer. This will allow Scouts to learn from folks that have a love for Scouting as deep as any of us and I look forward to seeing them welcomed back.
Vin Diesel once taught them martial arts!

Oh that was Girl Scouts.
[Image: Defensewcm.gif]
They've also added the balloon knot to the knot tying merit badge.
Seems ok. If groups have a choice on whether they want a gay leader or not ... That's fine with me. Each group should get to choose and all parents should be informed. Outside of that... I can't see the big deal.
It seems we have in fact made some progress. It wasn't that long ago that this was a highly debated, heated issue. Good for us.
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
(07-28-2015, 09:10 AM)Devils Advocate Wrote: It seems we have in fact made some progress. It wasn't that long ago that this was a highly debated, heated issue. Good for us.

I think the sticking point is, and is what I have always advocated, that it be left up to the chartered organizations. What I like about this is while we may lose some membership, we will gain some. I know organizations that will now be more likely to give to the BSA and some that will look to sponsor a troop or crew so that there is a unit that will be friendly to the LGBT community and others.
As an aside, there is an event called World Scout Scarf Day each year on 01 August. I look forward to seeing some friends wearing scarves this year that have declined in years past because of this policy.
(07-27-2015, 10:17 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I thought the title of this article was unfortunate:

http://news.yahoo.com/boy-scouts-lift-blanket-ban-gay-adult-leaders-001105023.html;_ylt=AwrC0F_T17ZVRmwAVVbQtDMD;_ylu=X3oDMTByOHZyb21tBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzcg--

Yeah...Why is it that up till now all gay adult leaders had to be cold at night?
[Image: m6moCD1.png]

[Image: 2.jpg]

Super!
(07-28-2015, 10:56 AM)Beaker Wrote: [Image: 2.jpg]

Super!

fabulous ....
Crap, there goes my excuse for not helping with that stupid jamboree this year.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]