Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Boy When Your Wrong!!!
I remember the first 2 years in the Zac era with Andy and then Burrow's rookie year, everyone wanted Lou gone...myself included.

Boy eating crow is an understatement. This guy got the players he wanted in his system and they have been the most consistent thing on this team week in and week out.

Now I feel selfish, because he deserves a head coaching job and new opportunities but I don't want the guy leaving...the schemes and adjustments he makes are like no other.
Reply/Quote
It really is eye opening. I don't have any big connections in football or anything, but I do know a couple of guys who have experience at smaller colleges. A year or so ago, one of the guys said something along the lines of "Everyone in the NFL knows ball, and they know what they are doing. I think the main reason some of these guys fail is because they aren't given enough time."

I don't think that is something that is true ALL of the time, but I do think that guys are cut too quickly sometimes. I will be the first to admit that I was not a fan of Zac and Lou. I thought they were a joke, the whole coaching staff. It's a lesson to learn that, sometimes, even though we may be so sure that the coaches are just raving idiots, it is probably us that are idiots. None of us really know what the hell we are talking about, no matter how confidently we say it.

In the same vein, it is also a reminder that players play the game. The coaches are doing a good job, but good coaches also find good players.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2022, 06:47 PM)GodFather Wrote: I remember the first 2 years in the Zac era with Andy and then Burrow's rookie year, everyone wanted Lou gone...myself included.

Boy eating crow is an understatement. This guy got the players he wanted in his system and they have been the most consistent thing on this team week in and week out.

Now I feel selfish, because he deserves a head coaching job and new opportunities but I don't want the guy leaving...the schemes and adjustments he makes are like no other.
Lou is vital to this team.... with that, Lou is all but gone.... probably going to take Bates III and Apple with him next year to his brand new gig.... probably in Atlanta or Denver.  I've been noticing a lot of teams switching their standard defensive alignment to a 4-2-5. Sorry.
Reply/Quote
I don't feel anyone needs to eat crow. We have all written things in this forum that ended wrong long term, but accurate when written. I think Lou and ZT can both coach, I see ZT growing every game.

It is just a fun time to be a Bengal's fan. Even knowing we are one injury to Joey B. away from being average any given year is meaningless because we have a true franchise QB, a man who is selfless and humble. We are going to see Joey B, teams win a lot of games in the coming years, I hope we sign him to a 10 year extension in 2023 at a reasonable price so we can also keep his stud receivers on the field.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
The title of the thread is quite ironic.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
His defenses were terrible. Sometimes they were historically bad. That's not a hot take... It's a fact. Lou wasn't doing a great job with what he had. Now they're solid (middle of the road at worst), and he makes great adjustments. That's also a fact. People can eat crow if they want. I don't see the need.

We're also finding out this year that it's possible to win with a bunch of injuries. That was an excuse. The staff did a poor job those first 2 years. They've gotten better.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2022, 06:59 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: It really is eye opening. I don't have any big connections in football or anything, but I do know a couple of guys who have experience at smaller colleges. A year or so ago, one of the guys said something along the lines of "Everyone in the NFL knows ball, and they know what they are doing. I think the main reason some of these guys fail is because they aren't given enough time."

I don't think that is something that is true ALL of the time, but I do think that guys are cut too quickly sometimes. I will be the first to admit that I was not a fan of Zac and Lou. I thought they were a joke, the whole coaching staff. It's a lesson to learn that, sometimes, even though we may be so sure that the coaches are just raving idiots, it is probably us that are idiots. None of us really know what the hell we are talking about, no matter how confidently we say it.

In the same vein, it is also a reminder that players play the game. The coaches are doing a good job, but good coaches also find good players.

I almost made a post about the adjustment thing. The first two years we were bad on defense and I don't know where we ranked or how we did in the 2nd half of games compared to the 1st. But I think we must've added someone that is bringing a certain philosophy or analytics that we are using. I mean we added players but it feels like more than that. I think Lou and the staff deserve a ton of credit. I just wonder if there's a certain defensive assistant we added that is helping with these adjustments.......Bengaldamaus?
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2022, 07:02 PM)Yogo Wrote: Lou is vital to this team.... with that, Lou is all but gone.... probably going to take Bates III and Apple with him next year to his brand new gig.... probably in Atlanta or Denver.  I've been noticing a lot of teams switching their standard defensive alignment to a 4-2-5.  Sorry.

Can't see any real situation where Atlanta moves on from Arthur Smith. That team was in dead cap hell with moving Julio Jones, and Matt Ryan, somewhere I read that the Falcons are operating with nearly $80 million in dead cap. 

Denver, maybe decides to be a one and done thing with Hackett and his questionable in game management but he's not the one who traded the franchise for Wilson who looks totally washed up.

Houston will be looking, possibly Arizona (I remember several posters on here who were super Kingsbury fanboys and that hire has fell flat), obviously Carolina and Indy have openings and maybe Chicago does a one and done. 

There actually might not be a real high amount of turn over this offseason.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(12-20-2022, 06:47 PM)GodFather Wrote: I remember the first 2 years in the Zac era with Andy and then Burrow's rookie year, everyone wanted Lou gone...myself included.

1) When *you're* wrong  Smirk

2) 100% I was in the group of moving on from Taylor, Anarumo, Callahan, and Turner after 2020. Taylor and Anarumo surprised me last year, but I've always still been somewhat skeptical about last year being more of the outlier rather than the norm. I wanted to see how close they could replicate this season. I can't remember whether I predicted 9, 10, or 11 wins, but I know it wasn't higher than that. If the Bengals can get to 12+, they've definitely exceeded my expectations.

Hats off to Anarumo especially, as I thought that whole thing about scheme fit was a bunch of BS. He should have been able to mold the defense around the guys that were here, specifically Atkins and Dunlap that just got extended. It's pretty obvious how bad of a fit Guenther's/Austin's defensive players were for Anarumo's scheme. Props to him for moving on from the guys that didn't fit and being able to find guys who do fit and are able to succeed.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

Yeah, I was one of the idiots calling for Lou's head after the second season. Happy I was wrong and the FO stuck with him.

Paid off big time, yes his adjustments with his personnel are second to none and is now my favorite DC we have ever had and I loved
Zim. The way his players fight for him, you can tell they respect him big time and he knows how to get his guys to play their best, even
the backups who don't want to let their buddies or Lou down.

Hope Lou can stick around for at least another year or so. Tough, he should be a top HC candidate after this season.
Reply/Quote
Rep to Godfather, Goose, Ocho and Nate. Humility -- calling yourself out when you've been wrong -- is classy.

This speaks to the reasons most of us choose to share on this forum. We all get frustrated on occasion, we let our opinions and feelings fly, but we all want to win so badly that we will happily admit that we were full of crap when front office, coaches and players prove us wrong.

BTW, sometime during Zac's first year someone on this board (can't remember who) complained that Zac's only qualification was that he once smelled one of Sean McVay's farts. I thought it was hilarious and at least somewhat accurate. Anyone want to confess?
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2022, 08:47 PM)Speedy Thomas Wrote: BTW, sometime during Zac's first year someone on this board (can't remember who) complained that Zac's only qualification was that he once smelled one of Sean McVay's farts.  I thought it was hilarious and at least somewhat accurate.  Anyone want to confess?

Sure. I mean, I didn't really say it, but it could have been me.
Reply/Quote
I find the term "Everyone" being used a lot, but not all of us were on that train. I've been a supporter of Zac and Lou from day 1 without waivering and took  a lot of abuse for it.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2022, 07:31 PM)jason Wrote: His defenses were terrible. Sometimes they were historically bad. That's not a hot take... It's a fact. Lou wasn't doing a great job with what he had. Now they're solid (middle of the road at worst), and he makes great adjustments. That's also a fact. People can eat crow if they want. I don't see the need.

We're also finding out this year that it's possible to win with a bunch of injuries. That was an excuse. The staff did a poor job those first 2 years. They've gotten better.

The defense was also historically bad under Austin and then Marvin when he had to take over. Remember? The roster was aging, and there were bad drafts. A bad combination. I mean, if Marvin Lewis can't turn the defense around, you know the players are shit. He may have had his faults as HC, but there's no denying he knew his shit on that side of the ball. 

Even if Marvin had stayed, they were gonna have to flip the roster.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-20-2022, 10:28 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I find the term "Everyone" being used a lot, but not all of us were on that train. I've been a supporter of Zac and Lou from day 1 without waivering and took  a lot of abuse for it.

Yeah, you did. I've taken a little heat over Zac.... especially when I made the Coaching Props thread, lol. I honestly didn't know what to make of Lou initially.....I knew he had a shitty squad when he got here. I'm pretty certain I questioned him though.

Reply/Quote
By the way, I haven't seen that "LSU fan" during this six game streak. Hmm I'll bet you dollars to donuts if we lose, he'll be here reminding us all how shitty our HC is.

Reply/Quote
(12-20-2022, 07:02 PM)Yogo Wrote: Lou is vital to this team.... with that, Lou is all but gone.... probably going to take Bates III and Apple with him next year to his brand new gig.... probably in Atlanta or Denver.  I've been noticing a lot of teams switching their standard defensive alignment to a 4-2-5.  Sorry.

I get that this is an opinion, but a couple things...

1.  Teams are going primarily with offensive coaches, Chargers haven't show well with a recent defensive HC.

2.  Lou isn't the top DC on the perspective coaching list.

3.  Lou is pushing 60 and coached nothing more than defensive backs up until 4 years ago. 

4.  Lots of pressure to hire a minority.

5.  Handful of previous HC's available - Peyton, Flores, Reich, Frazier   

Thus I disagree that Lou is all but gone.

In Atlanta, Smith seems to be Blank's guy, at least one more season.

Unless Evero gets a HC job it would not make any sense for Denver to hire Lou.  Broncos either hire within or most likely go for experience.

Reply/Quote

[Image: 486t4c.jpg]
[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2022, 11:21 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I get that this is an opinion, but a couple things...

1.  Teams are going primarily with offensive coaches, Chargers haven't show well with a recent defensive HC.

2.  Lou isn't the top DC on the perspective coaching list.

3.  Lou is pushing 60 and coached nothing more than defensive backs up until 4 years ago. 

4.  Lots of pressure to hire a minority.

5.  Handful of previous HC's available - Peyton, Flores, Reich, Frazier   

Thus I disagree that Lou is all but gone.

In Atlanta, Smith seems to be Blank's guy, at least one more season.

Unless Evero gets a HC job it would not make any sense for Denver to hire Lou.  Broncos either hire within or most likely go for experience.

Made me feel better about Lou hanging around for a bit. I still stand by the fact that we hired Betcher as our LB coach that he 
was the insurance and another reason our FO and everyone had a lot of faith in Lou. Betcher is one heck of a coach with a bad 
azz resume' that I would never of thought would take a positional coaching job. Betcher is that good.
Reply/Quote
I talked to somebody today with tremendous insight. He thinks Lou is a tremendous coach and boy this guy knows defense. He thinks it’s going to be tough for Lou this year. There’s going to be few openings. Few defensive coaches get hired in the first place. He expects the Bengal season to last into deep into the playoffs. And the most important reason I flat forgot. It wasn’t negative by any means. I’ll remember and post. I’ll add Zac was encouraged to get a very veteran defensive coordinator when hired. Several turned him down and then he got to get who he wanted all along.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote