Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boyd: I just want to win
(05-30-2023, 11:36 PM)Housh Wrote: We win a title, do you take 5 million one year to run it back if your Boyd?

This question is asked with the thought that Boyd can get 3 years 20-24 million from another team.

Im pretty sure Boyd expects he can get much more than that, to be more exact, he did earlier in the spring.....

Reply/Quote
(05-31-2023, 12:08 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Im not in to trash talking but I have ZERO issues in saying if our oline was healthy we win that game, even if KC had their hurt players as well.

That I can get on board with.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
The man is clutch.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2023, 05:02 PM)Nepa Wrote: Quite an interesting article in ESPN about Tyler Boyd and his will to see the Bengals win.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/37761710/bengals-wr-tyler-boyd-beaten-chiefs-healthy

"I just want to win, and that's the biggest evolution of coming here and starting here and being where I am," Boyd said. "We are a winning franchise now and we are going to continue to win. We are getting better."

"Throughout his career, Boyd's ability to fight through injuries has been well documented. In Week 16 of the 2019 season, Boyd staggered to the line of scrimmage despite dealing with a serious cramp, a move that allowed Cincinnati to score a tying touchdown at the end of regulation. Last year, Boyd missed Week 15 because of a dislocated finger where a bone came through the skin. He returned for the rest of the team's games, including the entire postseason."

-- his comments on his being injured early in the second quarter of last year's KC game--

"Still to this day, I feel like if I would have played the whole game [last year's playoff against KC], I was the key factor," Boyd said. "We would've won the game."

"Bengals coach Zac Taylor, the team's offensive playcaller, said that losing Boyd presented a key challenge given how much Kansas City was double-teaming the team's outside receivers, Tee Higgins and Ja'Marr Chase."

-- Boyd on his future in Cincinnati--

"Boyd has not received any indication that he will not play the final year of his current contract with the team that drafted him in 2016."

"They love me in the front [office]," Boyd said. "They respect me. I go about things the right way. I come in with a great attitude each and every day. I don't complain as much. I go out there and do my job. It's a love, family thing."

Boyd is all class and a tough sumbitch. Love the guy myself, I echo what Bfine said and hope we can get him a ring before he goes.

We cannot afford everyone. Luckily Chuck Sizzle is great insurance once Boyd leaves.
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2023, 05:49 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Boyd is all class and a tough sumbitch. Love the guy myself, I echo what Bfine said and hope we can get him a ring before he goes.

We cannot afford everyone. Luckily Chuck Sizzle is great insurance once Boyd leaves.

Didn’t realize in the first quarter he had 2 catches for 40 yards and was wide open on the play he got hurt and would have scored had Joe seen he was wide open. They were double teaming Tee and Chase each play. He would have had a big game.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(05-31-2023, 09:25 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Didn’t realize in the first quarter he had 2 catches for 40 yards and was wide open on the play he got hurt and would have scored had Joe seen he was wide open. They were double teaming Tee and Chase each play. He would have had a big game.

I got really worried when he was out for more than a play after that. KC was definitely going to have to adjust, or he was gonna kill em.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(05-31-2023, 09:53 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: I got really worried when he was out for more than a play after that. KC was definitely going to have to adjust, or he was gonna kill em.

And I think that that hit the staff right between the eyes that they needed better backups and prompted them drafting help.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(05-31-2023, 09:58 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: And I think that that hit the staff right between the eyes that they needed better backups and prompted them drafting help.

I'd say that's right. Staff and FO both seem to have a very set objective towards the future and depth now every draft. 

Reply/Quote
(05-31-2023, 10:13 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: I'd say that's right. Staff and FO both seem to have a very set objective towards the future and depth now every draft. 

Found this : Jones excels in the quick passing game. He is most effective on quick slants, crossers, and in/out-breaking routes. Jones has a savvy or veteran feel to his game. He understands leveraging and how to attack the defensive back’s base. His foot quickness proves to be valuable to move defenders off their spot creating easier access to space for Jones.

Of course we know about Iosivas athleticism

Reply/Quote
(05-31-2023, 09:53 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: I got really worried when he was out for more than a play after that. KC was definitely going to have to adjust, or he was gonna kill em.

I said it when folks were claiming Tee Higgins is expendable because "Joe Burrow". That game changed the moment Boyd went out.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2023, 02:00 AM)jason Wrote: I said it when folks were claiming Tee Higgins is expendable because "Joe Burrow". That game changed the moment Boyd went out.

Yes, we learned the difference between TB and his replacement that night. No one was able to get open underneath consistently. With our shoddy online play, Joe needed that quick hitter to keep the chains moving.

Reply/Quote
TB being so good in the slot is a big factor in why we don't use a TE as much as other teams.
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2023, 09:25 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Didn’t realize in the first quarter he had 2 catches for 40 yards and was wide open on the play he got hurt and would have scored had Joe seen he was wide open. They were double teaming Tee and Chase each play. He would have had a big game.

Me neither, he is probably right, we win that game if he didn't get hurt even with our backups on the OL playing...

(05-31-2023, 09:53 PM)Wyche Wrote: I got really worried when he was out for more than a play after that. KC was definitely going to have to adjust, or he was gonna kill em.

Same here, sucked.

(05-31-2023, 09:58 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: And I think that that hit the staff right between the eyes that they needed better backups and prompted them drafting help.

For sure, Chuck Sizzle and Iosivas make our WR core much deeper than it was. I like Irwin but he is no Chuck Sizzle and has no where
near the upside of Iosivas who might be the best pure athlete on the team with great size.

(05-31-2023, 10:13 PM)Wyche Wrote: I'd say that's right. Staff and FO both seem to have a very set objective towards the future and depth now every draft. 

Yes, I have voiced my thoughts on TE, but this Offense clearly values WR's over TE's big time. Burrow also must prefer the quicker, 
faster WR's over the bigger lumbering TE's. It was way too deep of a draft at TE to think otherwise since we didn't pick one.

I do like Trahan the UDFA TE out of Houston, maybe he is a dark horse to make the team? I am sure not impressed with an always
hurt Irv Smith, Drew Sample and Asiasi.

(05-31-2023, 10:43 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Found this : Jones excels in the quick passing game. He is most effective on quick slants, crossers, and in/out-breaking routes. Jones has a savvy or veteran feel to his game. He understands leveraging and how to attack the defensive back’s base. His foot quickness proves to be valuable to move defenders off their spot creating easier access to space for Jones.

Of course we know about Iosivas athleticism

Special traits, being able to find the soft spots in a Secondary is huge with Receivers. Love getting this savvy dude in the room.
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2023, 02:00 AM)jason Wrote: I said it when folks were claiming Tee Higgins is expendable because "Joe Burrow". That game changed the moment Boyd went out.

(06-01-2023, 11:04 AM)Wyche Wrote: Yes, we learned the difference between TB and his replacement that night. No one was able to get open underneath consistently. With our shoddy online play, Joe needed that quick hitter to keep the chains moving.

If the O Line was competent, the run & screen game would have been HUGE with the Chiefs doubling the outside w Safeties like that. This was more about that falling apart than Boyd going down. The Bengals had no 3rd option past that.

I was there in the front row behind the Bengals bench for both of the AFCCGs.... On the last Bengals drive there was a play on their last 2nd down before they punted where Higgins & Irwin lined up on the left. Both guys cut their routes in, but Joe through an out that would have been a 1st and, if I recall, put the Bengals on the Chiefs side of the field or really close to that. One of the 2 WRs got their call wrong because Joe threw to open air on the sideline - no one even near that side of the field, which would have also stopped the clock if caught.

Boyd would have changed that game for sure, but when he went down, so would an avg O line. It was just a catastrophy of misfortune that entire game... And the Chiefs STILL needed a FG at the gun to win. Bengals will be AMAZING this season. I can feel it.
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2023, 08:52 PM)PDub80 Wrote: If the O Line was competent, the run & screen game would have been HUGE with the Chiefs doubling the outside w Safeties like that. This was more about that falling apart than Boyd going down. The Bengals had no 3rd option past that.

I was there in the front row behind the Bengals bench for both of the AFCCGs.... On the last Bengals drive there was a play on their last 2nd down before they punted where Higgins & Irwin lined up on the left. Both guys cut their routes in, but Joe through an out that would have been a 1st and, if I recall, put the Bengals on the Chiefs side of the field or really close to that. One of the 2 WRs got their call wrong because Joe threw to open air on the sideline - no one even near that side of the field, which would have also stopped the clock if caught.

Boyd would have changed that game for sure, but when he went down, so would an avg O line. It was just a catastrophy of misfortune that entire game... And the Chiefs STILL needed a FG at the gun to win. Bengals will be AMAZING this season. I can feel it.

Agree. The line was absolutely the biggest issue. Had they been able to block anyone, Joe wouldn't have needed someone open underneath consistently fast. With what was going on, it just felt like TB was our shot for keeping the sticks moving. That's the reason I felt dread when he went out.

If this iteration of the offensive line can put it together, I'm with you on the amazing part. 

Tiger

Reply/Quote
The great dichotomy for Zac and his staff is this. And not just them mind you. It’s going with the team practice warriors and steady Eddie’s over difference makers. Oh they liked Brandon Allen. He knew the offense but really? Same with the backup wide receivers. I think they kinda realized they need better athleticism as backups.

Reply/Quote
(06-02-2023, 10:27 AM)Wyche Wrote: Agree. The line was absolutely the biggest issue. Had they been able to block anyone, Joe wouldn't have needed someone open underneath consistently fast. With what was going on, it just felt like TB was our shot for keeping the sticks moving. That's the reason I felt dread when he went out.

If this iteration of the offensive line can put it together, I'm with you on the amazing part. 

Tiger

What was so weird to me was that right in front of our seats (front row on the back left side Bengals bench) Boyd was walking aroind just fine, in his huge coat, and standing infront of the huge heater with the other guys who were actually playing. Yet... he never went back in.

I never heard what the injury was. Guessing his thumb because he was walking fine, communicating fine, etc. I kept thinking that if he wasn't going to go back in, why take up the heater space that other guys needed? lol... TB is a super tough dude. If he sat out it's because he had to.
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2023, 08:52 PM)PDub80 Wrote: If the O Line was competent, the run & screen game would have been HUGE with the Chiefs doubling the outside w Safeties like that. This was more about that falling apart than Boyd going down. The Bengals had no 3rd option past that.

Yes, I have a feeling that if our OL stays healthy, these games might not be AS close with the Chiefs. It is crazy all that went wrong for us,
and STILL we were that close to going back to the SB with the Chiefs and Arrowhead in our way. Love the players added this Offseason and
if we can stay somewhat healthy good luck to any team in our way especially the Chiefs.

We need to also have some major chips on our shoulders with those damn Ratbirds in hurting our dudes in that Playoff game, they are the
enemy and we need to really take it to them this season. They are the one team in the Division that could be giving us some trouble. I think 
we start to beat on the Stains this year, same with the stealers.
Reply/Quote
Boyd is an elite level player at his position of slot receiver. You do not let a player of that quality walk without a hard think and an able replacement in hand.

But he'll turn 30 this year. The market for 31 year old slot receivers may not be fantastic. It will be hard to keep him at a high price. But medium?

I'd certainly look to get off guys who are not elite at their spots (Jonah, Mixon, Collins) before letting Boyd walk. Though if both Jones & Iosivas bloom quickly, it will be hard to justify keeping him, cap-wise.
Reply/Quote
On Nate's posts, I do not view it as either/or. Both things can be true:

1) We win with a healthy OL even sans Boyd
2) We win with a healthy Boyd even with the injured OL.
Reply/Quote