Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Boyd Regression?
(10-09-2023, 01:30 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I think the bigger "about nothing" is Irv Smith.
3 games played and only 27 yards?
If he continues his pace, he probably won't reach 200 yards, possibly not even 150.
Probably the worst starter the Bengals have at this point.

Think if possible they should give Tanner Hudson some more opportunities.   But that would mean clearing a spot on the active roster for him.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
That's an interesting point. I think it's partly a function of our offense right now. We're so RPO-heavy and committed to our game outside the numbers, even if Joe's not looking too far downfield. That's just not his route tree. Plus, he have arguably no viable TE threats so he has less space for his cushion inside.

I'd love to see his snap count and compare that to last year (also the *way in which he's been deployed and how that might have changed). It's possible that his role has "evolved" to date... though hard to say how much of that is due to Calf-gate.
Reply/Quote
In previous years, it seems like a specific receiver gets to eat each game, likely due to how the opposing team is playing them. Thus, it's very likely Boyd has one of these games soon enough. Possibly even Sunday, since the Seahawks are crap against the pass, but are nearly guarantee'd to throw the kitchen sink at Chase.

I don't think Boyd has lost anything. I just think he's surrounded by talent, AND Burrow was a shell of himself for the first few games.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2023, 01:39 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It’s between him or Volson. But at least Volson has an occasional game where he run blocks well.

Irv Smith has been abysmal.

This.

Volson needs to go.  I think if he is replaced, the whole line improves they've been below average as a whole.  With JB having increased mobility, I think the line could get somewhat better.  Volson's PFF score went from a 38.4 before yesterday's game to a 46.7 afterwards.  I must not have been paying much attention to the things he did well because I don't know how many times I yelled at the TV, "Volson is f*****g killing us!"

Irv Smith?  No targets yesterday.  That guy is on his way out of the league in a quick hurry because he just gets hurt too much.  
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2023, 02:09 PM)2MinutesHate Wrote: Volson needs to go. I think if he is replaced, the whole line improves they've been below average as a whole.  With JB having increased mobility, I think the line could get somewhat better.  Volson's PFF score went from a 38.4 before yesterday's game to a 46.7 afterwards.  I must not have been paying much attention to the things he did well because I don't know how many times I yelled at the TV, "Volson is f*****g killing us!"

I think that’s a pretty safe assumption. He’s clearly the weak link.

Reply/Quote
(10-09-2023, 02:13 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I think that’s a pretty safe assumption. He’s clearly the weak link.

When Mixon has better pass pro, it's time to go.

^chant friendly due to rhyme.  you're welcome.
Reply/Quote
I love Boyd and have always been a supporter but I also feel he has taken a step back.

Yes, some may be on JB’s performance this year but not all of it.

Or perhaps in his defense; he is just not as targeted as he used to be by JB.

No idea.

He used to be our go to super-clutch 3rd down slant guy. That play was money in the bank for us.

We don’t seem to use those as often which is mind-boggling bc it worked well for us.
Reply/Quote
He’ll go on a hot streak and finish with 700 yards

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
I'm sure he has to an extent. But Boyd was never really a speed guy or a quick twitch guy. He is a "possession" guy. And I'm okay with that at this point. His numbers are down this year due to Burrow's injury mostly. But he can still make those key, chain-moving, contested catches and that's what we REALLY need him for anyway!
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2023, 12:49 PM)QueenCity Wrote: Right now Boyd is on pace for roughly 550 yards.... the last 5 seasons he's been in the 800-1000 yard range.

Everybody is down due to the O being complete shite for the first 4 weeks. 

He had a nice TD called back last week and some grabs. What do Higgins' numbers look like? 

I think things will look better still vs Seattle. 
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2023, 02:16 PM)Whacked Wrote: I love Boyd and have always been a supporter but I also feel he has taken a step back.

Yes, some may be on JB’s performance this year but not all of it.

Or perhaps in his defense; he is just not as targeted as he used to be by JB.

No idea.

He used to be our go to super-clutch 3rd down slant guy. That play was money in the bank for us.

We don’t seem to use those as often which is mind-boggling bc it worked well for us.

Stuff like that circulates in and out, as if you do it routinely, teams get to expecting it.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Our offense totally sucked for 4 games and had 1 good game. I'd say everyone looked like they regressed those 4 games.

I do think that overall, our offense lacks speed outside of Chase.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2023, 03:13 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Our offense totally sucked for 4 games and had 1 good game. I'd say everyone looked like they regressed those 4 games.

I do think that overall, our offense lacks speed outside of Chase.

Again, Tee had a nice game against the Ravens - 89 yards & 2 TD’s, and Chase went off for 141 against the Rams.

Reply/Quote
Everyone one this offence has been trash this season outside of a few rare exceptions.

There isn't enough volume of work yet to make a distinction on if anyone has regressed especially anyone at WR given burrows has been really bad.

Hopefully yesterday was a sign that things are getting better and we'll start seeing the offence we expected to see at the start of the season and a return to form for everyone.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2023, 12:47 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: He did. He had a few grabs yesterday. 

Felt like it was the 1at time he had his own package of plays

It’s insane we don’t have Tee and Boyd specific plays
-Housh
Reply/Quote
Player on struggling offense struggles. More at 11.
Our father, who art in Hell
Unhallowed, be thy name
Cursed be thy sons and daughters
Of our nemesis who are to blame
Thy kingdom come, Nema
Reply/Quote
Personally, with how bad our line has been, I don't know how you can be upset about his production or why it's even necessary since we're not going to cut him mid-season and he's an UFA after this season.

It's hard to judge Boyd's performance when Burrow has had so little time and he's obviously looking for Chase when he has to get rid of the ball quickly.

This might be his last stand, but I'm not ready to throw in the towel yet.

I still think he provides us some upside as a a WR3 (even though Irwin looked pretty good) and let's just hope that the line keeps blocking and Boyd can catch some meaningful passes!
Reply/Quote
May have a little to do with the dude throwing him the ball. Once JB establishes he can throw the deep ball again the underneath will open up for TB.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-09-2023, 12:34 PM)QueenCity Wrote: Not enough talk on Boyd - we are getting about nothing from our WR3

Has he regressed? Or due to Burrow Calf issues it's still TBD on whether or not this is an issue?

Current numbers

REGULAR SEASON STATS 23 receptions   34 targets 166 yards

outside of Chase, for first 4 games, no Wrs will really putting up much in yards and catches..  Boyd is still reliable.. lets see what happens as our offense starts to hopefully perform like yesterday 
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2023, 01:40 PM)QueenCity Wrote: Just wanted to get some more thoughts.... maybe the thread was pre-mature considering Burrow issues.

I just notice while watching the game that I don't hear his name called very often.  I know he also had that 1 TD drop that was pretty bad earlier this year as well.

I actually think your thread is a bit late. Boyd's production has really dropped of since Chase has arrived. I guess it makes sense with Higgins and Chase being far more explosive that they are going to get the bulk of the attention. I do base a lot of my opinion  in that regard. I know Boyd will still be able at times to make a clutch catch or score in some games. He may still have a game or two that he is our # 1 guy. But going from a borderline #1 WR in fantasy to not even playable is a significant drop in production which had been since Chase got here. So I don't know if anything has changed with Boyd more than us just not using him.
Reply/Quote