Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boyd/Wright + Receiver Woes
Tyler Boyd and James Wright looked to be the answer to an injured AJ Green at first, but then completely disappeared.

Did Buffalo do THAT good of a job of adjusting?....

What happened to C.J. Uzomah and Tyler Kroft??? Or even the Mighty Eifert for that matter...?

It seems to me that somebody SHOULD have been open... It seems that way every week... and the O-line did give Dalton more time today than some of the games this season (still not a ton of time).

Is it poorly drawn up routes? Is it bad execution by the receivers? Is Dalton missing open guys? (Not one of Daltons best days today, so maybe)

I guess the lack of running game is really starting to effect the passing situation. teams were still somewhat honest towards the beginning of the year, but there is no reason to respect this run game.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2016, 11:04 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Tyler Boyd and James Wright looked to be the answer to an injured AJ Green at first, but then completely disappeared.

What happened to C.J. Uzomah and Tyler Kroft??? Or even the Mighty Eifert for that matter...?

It seems to me that somebody SHOULD have been open... It seems that way every week... and the O-line did give Dalton more time today than some of the games this season (still not a ton of time).

Is it poorly drawn up routes? Is it bad execution by the receivers? Is Dalton missing open guys? (Not one of Daltons best days today, so maybe)

I guess the lack of running game is really starting to effect the passing situation. teams were still somewhat honest towards the beginning of the year, but there is no reason to respect this run game.

Opposing DCs know their front 4 can get pressure and hold up against the run against our O-line so they drop extra into coverage leaving Dalton with few options in the pass game. It's been the same thing almost every week, I see 3 or 4 DL get pressure and in the backfield against our 5-6 OL. Not gonna win many games with that happening. Answer: We need better O-Linemen, but we've all known that since week 1.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2016, 11:13 PM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: Opposing DCs know their front 4 can get pressure and hold up against the run against our O-line so they drop extra into coverage leaving Dalton with few options in the pass game. It's been the same thing almost every week, I see 3 or 4 DL get pressure and in the backfield  against our 5-6 OL. Not gonna win many games with that happening. Answer: We need better O-Linemen, but we've all known that since week 1.

Good response.

It seems we have enough weapons to find a way around this problem. It's not like our QB doesn't have one of the fastest releases in the NFL. Not sure why they haven't adjusted accordingly. The slants to Boyd were working when Andy hit them... need more of that.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2016, 11:13 PM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: Opposing DCs know their front 4 can get pressure and hold up against the run against our O-line so they drop extra into coverage leaving Dalton with few options in the pass game. It's been the same thing almost every week, I see 3 or 4 DL get pressure and in the backfield  against our 5-6 OL. Not gonna win many games with that happening. Answer: We need better O-Linemen, but we've all known that since week 1.

This makes sense. I'm not down on our receivers. LaFell is on pace to have more receiving yards than Marvin Jones did last year and Boyd should also surpass Sanu's production from last year.

With AJ going down I see this as an opportunity for Boyd to step up and for Cody Core to get some playing time. I don't see Wright stretching the field.

Reply/Quote
Not to be a jerk but you are complaining about CJ Uzomah not getting any yards but it would be really hard for him when he was inactive today. So that is why he never touched the ball.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2016, 11:04 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Tyler Boyd and James Wright looked to be the answer to an injured AJ Green at first, but then completely disappeared.

Despite not having any semblance of a running game, or giving your QB much time to go to a second read, the Bengals stayed in 3 WR sets almost the entire game.  I have no idea why Kroft and Uzomah are not utilized more with Hewitt and Eifert.  Must not be in the Zampeze playbook.  Too bad, I liked the talent when drafted.  I guess that makes as much sense as drafting a LB when you only play with two the majority of the time (PJ, Vigil).  
Reply/Quote
Once AJ went out Buffalo started playing underneath of everything. They were confident that no one else could beat them deep and they were right. I think Core has a huge opportunity the rest of this season to establish himself as a down field threat. Teams will play us similar to how buffalo did which means he will get one on one match ups on deep balls.
Reply/Quote

AJ Green draws double-coverage...which enables guys like Lafell and Boyd to get open. The Bengals can't run the ball.

With Green out and the pass-catching threat of Bernard out...defenses are going to do their best to take Eifert out of games and a guy like Lafell will struggle mightily as a #1.

AJ Green makes every skill player on offense better and the only way to absorb his loss would be to run the ball...which we can't do.
Reply/Quote
Didn't realize Uzomah was out, that explains that. Still, we have a group of decent pass catching TEs, why cant we ever seem to use one like a Heath Miller??!?

Either way, if they were sitting on routes, why didn't we try to throw it deep to Wright or Boyd?

Bills have a good secondary, but I still think our team has enough middling talent on offense to adjust... just doesn't happen.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2016, 09:20 AM)Au165 Wrote: Once AJ went out Buffalo started playing  underneath of everything. They were confident that no one else could beat them deep and they were right. I think Core has a huge opportunity the rest of this season to establish himself as a down field threat. Teams will play us similar to how buffalo did which means he will get one on one match ups on deep balls.

This is what I'm thinking. He may have some work to do on the finer points of route running and reading where to drop in between zones, but if he has an ability to take the top off the defense then put him out there and see what he can do! We can't have guys jumping under Eifert, Boyd, and LaFell's routes for the rest of the year.

Edit: Can --> Can't
Reply/Quote
You will see Cody Core this week in the AJ Green role (not saying he will produce even close to AJ but he will be active and in his spot).
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
The lack of a respectable deep threat outside of AJ Green is pretty alarming.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2016, 12:55 PM)Big Boss Wrote: The lack of a respectable deep threat outside of AJ Green is pretty alarming.

Mike Williams from Clemson looks good. May be a good option.....
Reply/Quote
The only potential deep threat the Bengals have besides Green was inactive (Core). Boyd and LaFell are both more suited for slot/possession roles. Erickson is obviously also a slot receiver. Wright, while he ran a 4.46 at his pro day workout in 2014, was drafted primarily for ST and (very likely) will never be more than WR4/5. Core at least has raw talent as a deep threat.

Time for Core to be active on game days and see what he can do. The season is pretty much in the tank at this point anyway.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-21-2016, 01:12 PM)Au165 Wrote: Mike Williams from Clemson looks good. May be a good option.....

But can the Bengals justify taking a WR in the first round over a DE, OL, or 3-down LB?

I don't think they can.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-21-2016, 01:31 PM)ochocincos Wrote: But can the Bengals justify taking a WR in the first round over a DE, OL, or 3-down LB?

I don't think they can.

If they are picking that high in the draft possibly. The issue is not a draft with a ton of top end OL. I could see a DE possibly but not sure one wouldn't still be there at the top of the 2nd in this class. LB is interesting, but once again not sure you take one in the top 10. I think if a Peppers is there you go that direction, but if not you get another playmaker.

I think a lot comes down to the class over the needs. You don't want to force a player of need up the board simply because you need them. I think this draft from early looks is really loaded in the late 1st through early 3rd.
Reply/Quote