Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boyd had 2 huge miscues in SB
(02-20-2022, 12:08 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Perine had no one within range on snap, llb. Was late, chame had tight coverage, Evan's made a great move, and was open , the bobble step did not matter ball was way over thrown. The point is not blame one player since there are multiple plays we can critique by other players. 

Perine hadnt turned around yet, his back was to the QB.

Evans stumbled, almost fell down when the defender hit him, Burrow had already began the throwing motion.  
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2022, 12:54 PM)Au165 Wrote: People trying way too hard to come up with reasons to move on from Boyd and it’s comical. We can talk about the 2nd down throw in the last drive where Burrow wanted Chase to go deep and he broke it off early and burrow bombed it to no one, we cutting Chase now?

They aren’t moving on from Boyd, you need THREE legit receiving threats in the NFL today to protect yourself from doubles. The Chiefs have actually struggled with this for two years and it’s caught up with them each time. If you move in from Boyd no one has answered where this 3rd receiving threat is coming from. Bottom line they aren’t moving on and the money claim doesn’t even actually make sense as you don’t need that money, there are plenty of mechanics to do what they need to do without it.

This isn’t Madden, cutting team leaders versus letting the guys who got you there run their course and do their whole career in a place is bad for the organization. All that culture stuff we have been working on goes out the door quickly when you try to get too penny smart and pound foolish.

The Chiefs have 2 WR threats, been to 4 straight AFC Championships, 2 Super Bowls.... but we get it right?  

Solid oline is worth more than having a $10M WR3.    It's as easy as this:  Are we better in the SB with a $10M G instead of Adeniji and Trent Talyor at WR3 or with Adeniji and Boyd?
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2022, 01:55 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Actually the only thing insane is believing that no other Bengal had 2 mistakes in that game.

I bet that if you graded every play for every Bengal player you would see that ALL of them made at least 2 mistakes in that game.  Even Burrow missed some throws and did not make 100% proper reads.

The only thing even more insane is to think that others believe that no other Bengal had 2 mistakes in that game.  You cant read my mind. 

Burrow is in on EVERY single play.  How many targets did Tyler have?  6? 5 catches, 1 drop, 1 caused sack - $10M per year.

They all made mistakes.  How many guys making $10M made big mistakes?  It's not to shit on Boyd but we need to prioritize cash.  Boyd did not lose us the game, the oline did - All but Jonah are 6th round or undrafted.  We need talent on the oline. We need 2 DT's, We need CB2 all before WR3, in my opinion.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2022, 04:17 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: and as usual you are 100% wrong.. lol

A receiver stumbling almost falling down almost always results in an overthrown ball.  He didnt do it intentionally, he was hit, but still.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2022, 04:23 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: #burrowderangementsyndrome

#burrowkoolaidsyndrome.. as usual you take things out of context but no surprise..
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2022, 04:40 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Perine hadnt turned around yet, his back was to the QB.

Evans stumbled, almost fell down when the defender hit him, Burrow had already began the throwing motion.  

Floyd is running free at Joe within 1 second and Perine has his back to him.

[Image: 89c84cce9f4555224da321a63f0774d3.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2022, 04:33 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: You have a very valid point, both of those plays were critical 3rd down plays, one of them with the Bengals in position to seize all of the momentum and go up by two scores.

Exactly.  We go up 2 TDs, how would Stafford react?  No OBJ, no TE?  He may be good for another 1-2 interceptions.

We could have given them a steady dose of Mixon and play action.   We were so close, just a couple plays and one pathetic flag.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2022, 05:18 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Exactly.  We go up 2 TDs, how would Stafford react?  No OBJ, no TE?  He may be good for another 1-2 interceptions.

We could have given them a steady dose of Mixon and play action.   We were so close, just a couple plays and one pathetic flag.

And I'm even of the mind that the no-call on the false start of the pathetic flag play in question demonstrates either a clear turning of the heads on the part of the officials, or a total lack of basic competence of the job at hand.  (damn right I'm still pissed about how some things went down in the SB)

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2022, 05:43 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: And I'm even of the mind that the no-call on the false start of the pathetic flag play in question demonstrates either a clear turning of the heads on the part of the officials, or a total lack of basic competence of the job at hand.  (damn right I'm still pissed about how some things went down in the SB)

Blatant and inexcusable.  
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2022, 04:43 PM)casear2727 Wrote: The Chiefs have 2 WR threats, been to 4 straight AFC Championships, 2 Super Bowls.... but we get it right?  

Solid oline is worth more than having a $10M WR3.    It's as easy as this:  Are we better in the SB with a $10M G instead of Adeniji and Trent Talyor at WR3 or with Adeniji and Boyd?

Actually, the reason you could two high shell the Chiefs and their offense broke down for a portion of the year was the lack of a 3rd receiving threat. If you want to go down a high level rabbit hole about how we matched them late in the game you can see us do that on a couple key plays. If the Chiefs had another WR at an above average level it’s pretty easy to say you flat out aren’t stopping them. The Chiefs have stayed looking for a high level 3rd receiver enter Sammy Watkins, Mecole Hardman for a 1st, trying to sign JuJu to play in the slot last off season, etc. They will once again this off-season be on the hunt for their 3rd receiving option.

It’s a straw man argument because again there is plenty of financial flexibility to tackle the O line. This idea his money is somehow stopping this is wrong and simply spreadsheet watching without taking into account the ramifications of such a move. In all honesty, his salary isn’t even out of line for his production or skill as Nelson Agohlor signed a deal last off season at 11 million per year.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2022, 05:43 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: And I'm even of the mind that the no-call on the false start of the pathetic flag play in question demonstrates either a clear turning of the heads on the part of the officials, or a total lack of basic competence of the job at hand.  (damn right I'm still pissed about how some things went down in the SB)

It has me seriously considering not watching the NFL anymore. The refs CLEARLY turned their heads on obvious offsides penalties. I can't believe they are THAT incompetent.  Disregarding clear penalties and then throwing a late flag on one that is nowhere near obvious speaks volumes. Bad, bad taste that I don't know if I can get rid of.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2022, 06:03 PM)Au165 Wrote: Actually, the reason you could two high shell the Chiefs and their offense broke down for a portion of the year was the lack of a 3rd receiving threat. If you want to go down a high level rabbit hole about how we matched them late in the game you can see us do that on a couple key plays. If the Chiefs had another WR at an above average level it’s pretty easy to say you flat out aren’t stopping them. The Chiefs have stayed looking for a high level 3rd receiver enter Sammy Watkins, Mecole Hardman for a 1st, trying to sign JuJu to play in the slot last off season, etc. They will once again this off-season be on the hunt for their 3rd receiving option.

It’s a straw man argument because again there is plenty of financial flexibility to tackle the O line. This idea his money is somehow stopping this is wrong and simply spreadsheet watching without taking into account the ramifications of such a move. In all honesty, his salary isn’t even out of line for his production or skill as Nelson Agohlor signed a deal last off season at 11 million per year.

The idea is that his position is not as his of a priority as a talented olineman, DT or even CB1.  Look at all the slot guys Brady used and he didnt have Chase and Tee.  We dont need a $10M slot, we just need a speedy or possession receiver who can catch.

Tee is not Chase or Tee great or as valuable. In his biggest game for the team he made huge errors.  But I am more concerned over his position more than I am him as a player (if he were Kupp or Hill valuable that would be different).

This is an opinion-based debate, teams do things differently obviously and we have differing views.  Its all good.  I simply think a very solid oline with Burrow, Chase and Tee we can be very good with a better than average slot, TE and RB to be honest.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2022, 04:43 PM)casear2727 Wrote: The Chiefs have 2 WR threats, been to 4 straight AFC Championships, 2 Super Bowls.... but we get it right?  

A $10 M guard and Trent Taylor is the clear answer.  The guard could have bought Joe an extra half second or two on some plays and Trent could have done what was needed.  All we needed(in addition to fair and competent officials) was a little extra time for Joe and we win by a couple of TDs. Sad.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2022, 04:57 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: #burrowkoolaidsyndrome.. as usual you take things out of context but no surprise..

Oh please. I straight up said Burrow made a bunch of mistakes in that game, but Chris Evans nearly falling down and not being where Joe expected him to be is certainly not one of them. It’s ridiculous to try and pin that play on the QB.

Reply/Quote
(02-20-2022, 06:15 PM)casear2727 Wrote: The idea is that his position is not as his of a priority as a talented olineman, DT or even CB1.  Look at all the slot guys Brady used and he didnt have Chase and Tee.  We dont need a $10M slot, we just need a speedy or possession receiver who can catch.

Tee is not Chase or Tee great or as valuable. In his biggest game for the team he made huge errors.  But I am more concerned over his position more than I am him as a player (if he were Kupp or Hill valuable that would be different).

This is an opinion-based debate, teams do things differently obviously and we have differing views.  Its all good.  I simply think a very solid oline with Burrow, Chase and Tee we can be very good with a better than average slot, TE and RB to be honest.

The other factor here, that I feel you and many will forget as we proceed into free agency, is that free agents require large signing bonuses which require large cash payments. Historically one reason the Bengals have failed in FA is they are cash poor, which I get sounds funny but is relative, and so they don’t dump a ton into signing bonuses.

We won’t sign a ton of high end free agents even with cap for the cash issues. While the NFL is a cap league every team doesn’t have the same restrictions because cap is not an accounting of cash but rather an agreed upon accounting method. Teams flush with cash do have advantages, and we don’t. If anything they are already probably squirreling away cash for the eventual bonus they’ll have to give Burrow. If people have ever wondered why we don’t restructure, this is why, because requires heavy cash to buy cap space.
Reply/Quote