Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brady/Pats deflate gate punishment
Came down pretty hard on them. Four games for Brady and lost their #1 pick next year and a fourth rounder in 17 plus $1 million. I think the lying and cover-up were worse than the actual crime and that's why they got hammered.
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2015, 07:14 PM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: Came down pretty hard on them. Four games for Brady and lost their #1 pick next year and a fourth rounder in 17 plus $1 million.  I think the lying and cover-up were worse than the actual crime and that's why they got hammered.

Yep, liteally lied for no reason. And also the i will not give up my emails and text messages did not help either.
"The Power of life and death is in the tongue"
Reply/Quote
I could not be happier about the punsihment unless it had been more in all categories. I am so disillusioned with the league right now. Hard to remain a fan, but at least Tommy et al got their wrists slapped pretty good.
Reply/Quote
WOW, I didn't expect the Patriots to get penalized in any sizable way. A 1st and 4th rounder and Brady out 4 games is shocking to me...of course they play the Steelers in week 1 though so that won't help us much
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I'm going to be honest I expected all the blame to be thrown on the little guys like equipment managers as legal scapegoats, while the Patriots pleaded bloody murder that they did nothing wrong.

If they have no solid proof I don't see how Brady doesn't win his appear. I doubt he'll serve the 4 games if any at all. Probably still pay the million and lose draft picks, but Tom will most likely play.

Have to say I'd probably pay that price for a Super Bowl. Then again a tainted one? Idk.

I've always hated the Patriots. Used to be that kind of respect you you are too damn good so I hate your guts, now to see them get punished for recording signals and then punished for deflating balls over the past 8 years and it just makes me feel like they definitely could have cheated their way into a dynasty. I mean I'm sure they're still a good Coach and a good QB, but even the little things you do could completely change an outcome.

I'm almost kind of sad. if it had been about any other team I probably would be.
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2015, 08:38 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: I'm going to be honest I expected all the blame to be thrown on the little guys like equipment managers as legal scapegoats, while the Patriots pleaded bloody murder that they did nothing wrong.

If they have no solid proof I don't see how Brady doesn't win his appear. I doubt he'll serve the 4 games if any at all. Probably still pay the million and lose draft picks, but Tom will most likely play.

Have to say I'd probably pay that price for a Super Bowl. Then again a tainted one? Idk.

I've always hated the Patriots. Used to be that kind of respect you you are too damn good so I hate your guts, now to see them get punished for recording signals and then punished for deflating balls over the past 8 years and it just makes me feel like they definitely could have cheated their way into a dynasty. I mean I'm sure they're still a good Coach and a good QB, but even the little things you do could completely change an outcome.

I'm almost kind of sad. if it had been about any other team I probably would be.

for the Super Bowl being tainted, weren't the deflated balls discovered at half time? And wasn't the second half when The Patriots opened up the game? Deflating the balls didn't seem to help in the end, although no one will ever be able to determine where it might have helped in the first half.

The rest of the punishment seems light to me, especially for a team already proven to cheat. Apparently, integrity has a price ....
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2015, 08:52 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: for the Super Bowl being tainted, weren't the deflated balls discovered at half time? And wasn't the second half when The Patriots opened up the game? Deflating the balls didn't seem to help in the end, although no one will ever be able to determine where it might have helped in the first half.

The rest of the punishment seems light to me, especially for a team already proven to cheat. Apparently, integrity has a price ....

It's not whether or not it helped. It's doing it at all. If they had never been caught cheating before it probably wouldn't be too big of a deal or at least not like it is. Cheating and then blowing the team out anyways just makes them look stupid. The problem is they cheated before, they cheated again, and while we don't have any proof (other than it looking like they've been deflating balls all past season), they could have been cheating all this time in between. Could have cheated before the first time they were caught. Hell might have found a way to cheat in the Super Bowl for all we know. Maybe that defensive back really did know where that late pass was going hence how he jumped the route so well.

Yes I think the punishment is light as well if they are going to punish them for doing it then do it.
Reply/Quote
I am definitely glad the league did something. I don't think it is too harsh myself, but this is harsher than I thought the punishment would be.

Just know that Giselle is consoling Tom now... Sigh.
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2015, 07:39 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: WOW, I didn't expect the Patriots to get penalized in any sizable way. A 1st and 4th rounder and Brady out 4 games is shocking to me...of course they play the Steelers in week 1 though so that won't help us much

I expected a punishment somewhat similar but as previous posters said it's probably more because of the lying/lack of cooperation. However the thing that saddens me is he won't be playing against the Squealers week 1 as you said xD
[Image: tFtivUoURYLbG.gif]
"From the great spirit was born the wolf, and man became it's messenger."
Reply/Quote
I was expecting Brady to get suspended, but I never even thought that draft picks were on the table. I think the there had to be some sort of punishment, but the loss of draft picks is too much.
Reply/Quote
Should had been fined more than $1M as that is just chump change!
Happy Halloween
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2015, 01:56 AM)ASUBengalsfan Wrote: I was expecting Brady to get suspended, but I never even thought that draft picks were on the table. I think the there had to be some sort of punishment, but the loss of draft picks is too much.

If this was the only incident, maybe. But they deserve an even harsher punishment in my opinion. After the other instances of cheating, they should have been scrubbing the scum out of every nook and cranny. But no, they continued in their crooked way.
Reply/Quote
I'm certainly going to be in the minority here, but I'll throw it out there.

I think that the suspension is silly. I also think that this idea that the Patriots got some sort of significant advantage from the under-inflated balls is silly. They steamrolled the Colts in the second half of that game. Brady played very well in the Super Bowl with the proper inflation. There is little to no reason to believe that slightly under-inflated balls played a significant role in the Patriots' success.

I do agree with the idea that the lack of transparency is what got the Patriots penalized like they were. Taking away draft picks is probably the way to go. Heck, I would've thought it was fine to take away a first next year and a second the year after. Heck, take a third after than and progressively down to a seventh in the years following. Give Brady the max fine, along with the Patriots organization as a repeat offender.

But taking Brady off the field not only deprives the game of (arguably) the best player of an era, it gives an overwhelming competitive advantage to the first four teams the Patriots are slated to play this year. While the Patriots will feel the loss short-term, losing draft picks is a much more severe punishment.

Now the season starts with a game between one team without one of the best young running backs and (again, arguably) the best player of his generation. And that stinks for football fans.

I think the appeal is won, and the suspension is reduced to the max fine or one game.
Reply/Quote
am I one of the few that still don't think he should be suspended at all?! what is the big deal about this...it has been proven by more than one QB that it happens in the league more than they know..

are they coming down hard on Pats/Brady because they want to set an example for rest of the league..if they find you, this is what will happen?! -- we saw how that worked for the domestic violence cases last season...Ray Rice being resuspended after initial...
Reply/Quote
I found it a bit harsh, but then again you cheated..

So you get, what you get.
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2015, 09:10 AM)rungiorun25 Wrote: are they coming down hard on Pats/Brady because they want to set an example for rest of the league.

I think this is it. It is a message to the league and the players. If the players break the rules and are caught, their own club will suffer for it. Also think Brady was probably not forthcoming with his remarks, similar to what the Saints players and coaches did, when investigated.
Reply/Quote
I'm not cool with Roger Goodell bypassing the rule books to make an example out of Brady and the Patriots. The rule book says that tampering with game equipment to cause a competitive advantage is subject to a $25,000 fine per instance. That may be too light, but it is the rule. Roger Goodell thinks he's bigger than the game.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(05-12-2015, 11:31 AM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: I'm not cool with Roger Goodell bypassing the rule books to make an example out of Brady and the Patriots.  The rule book says that tampering with game equipment to cause a competitive advantage is subject to a $25,000 fine per instance.  That may be too light, but it is the rule.  Roger Goodell thinks he's bigger than the game.

I think 4 games is a lot.... I may be one in a million but I think Roger Goodell has done a lot of good for the NFL. I think a lot of circumstances have came up that he handled pretty well. I think the NFL is growing and he is making more of safe game. I hope he doesn't take away the extra point, or the kick off. However there has been a lot that has come out in public that I think he has handle nicely. Like I said I may be 1 in a Million here... a lot of people hate the guy!!
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2015, 09:06 AM)CKwi88 Wrote: I'm certainly going to be in the minority here, but I'll throw it out there.

I think that the suspension is silly. I also think that this idea that the Patriots got some sort of significant advantage from the under-inflated balls is silly. They steamrolled the Colts in the second half of that game. Brady played very well in the Super Bowl with the proper inflation. There is little to no reason to believe that slightly under-inflated balls played a significant role in the Patriots' success.

I do agree with the idea that the lack of transparency is what got the Patriots penalized like they were. Taking away draft picks is probably the way to go. Heck, I would've thought it was fine to take away a first next year and a second the year after. Heck, take a third after than and progressively down to a seventh in the years following. Give Brady the max fine, along with the Patriots organization as a repeat offender.

But taking Brady off the field not only deprives the game of (arguably) the best player of an era, it gives an overwhelming competitive advantage to the first four teams the Patriots are slated to play this year. While the Patriots will feel the loss short-term, losing draft picks is a much more severe punishment.

Now the season starts with a game between one team without one of the best young running backs and (again, arguably) the best player of his generation. And that stinks for football fans.

I think the appeal is won, and the suspension is reduced to the max fine or one game.

Seems like you really have a thing for mr.brady . A suspension silly ? Mind you this is a team that consistently gets caught for cheating in one way or another. The fact that he went to Salem, ma and laughed it off irked me. If you didn't cheat then say it...in no way would I ever request the balls be deflated. He ruined the integrity of a game and i disagree about his performance in the Super Bowl...2 picks isn't that impressive to me. He did the crime and now he will pay with time. I promise you he won't win the appeal because he would have to produce his phone and emails in order to back his case which he already refused to do so good luck with that.

(05-12-2015, 11:31 AM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: I'm not cool with Roger Goodell bypassing the rule books to make an example out of Brady and the Patriots.  The rule book says that tampering with game equipment to cause a competitive advantage is subject to a $25,000 fine per instance.  That may be too light, but it is the rule.  Roger Goodell thinks he's bigger than the game.

Mmm....it's Troy Vincent not roger Goodell. And it is on the basis on two things...1. Failure to cooperate with the investigation 2. Patriots prior incidences of rule breaking.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/here-s-what-the-nfl-told-the-patriots-and-tom-brady-in-its-letters-221835032.html;_ylt=A0LEVwr_H1JV4nMAy6_BGOd_
Reply/Quote
I don't know how I feel about this. I don't think Brady will serve 4 games. I do think underinflation helped out more than we think. Not just with throwing but with carrying and even receiving. I also think they'll modify the rules to allow for some flexibility in PSI. It's what they want, QB's flinging the ball all over the field so why not allow them to use a comfortable ball in doing it?
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote