Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brady as Mentor?
Would you make the move? Would you pick up Brady, yes Tom Brady to mentor Burrow? Some guys that sat behind him went on to decent careers obviously one is in the SB this year. Brady still wants to start but he’s at the point in his career to be more willing to be a mentor. Personally I don’t see him leaving NE but they are a team who lets good players go if they think their not worth the money.
Reply/Quote
I doubt a guy like brady will hang around on a roster when he is no longer starting....

Now if your talking about as a coach.. Sure.. But Dont expect to see a guy with 6 SB rings holding a clipboard for a rookie.

(also it would be bad having a brady sitting behind burrow imo... As one bad game and you know who the fans would be chanting for)
Reply/Quote
Yes. A million times yes.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Tom Brady has a few years, if that, left in the NFL. He's not going to spend them in Cincinnati.
[Image: y35bdhbl]
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2020, 06:52 PM)PikesPeakUC Wrote: Tom Brady has a few years, if that, left in the NFL. He's not going to spend them in Cincinnati.

Exactly, a player of his caliber isn’t coming to this franchise by choice
Reply/Quote
Why not imagine Dan Marino or Joe Montana backing up Burrow next year?
Reply/Quote
Lol I get what you guys are saying. Not as a backup, as the starter while Joe sits his first year, two maybe ever three years. Worked out with Rodgers behind Favre. I know it’s a huge long shot but great players have went in to finish their careers with bad teams.
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2020, 06:52 PM)PikesPeakUC Wrote: Tom Brady has a few years, if that, left in the NFL. He's not going to spend them in Cincinnati.

You never know. He could be On To Cincinnati!
Reply/Quote
Tom Brady has never shown an interest in mentoring any of his 2nd string QBs. Tom Brady and Joe Burrow have 2 separate types of games. Bringing in Brady would likely cause more harm than good in the long run. Besides no way we are paying a 43 year old QB the kind of money he wants

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(01-20-2020, 07:12 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Lol I get what you guys are saying. Not as a backup, as the starter while Joe sits his first year, two maybe ever three years. Worked out with Rodgers behind Favre. I know it’s a huge long shot but great players have went in to finish their careers with bad teams.

Favre was vocal about not mentoring Rodgers, so the Packers just had 2 great QBs on the team at the same time.  
Reply/Quote
Uh oh...

I doubt he comes to Cincy, but the fact that he's open to playing on another team is optimistic. Maybe Bill uses the franchise tag on Brady and trades Brady for Dalton, if Bill is REALLY interested in Dalton.
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2020, 07:12 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Lol I get what you guys are saying. Not as a backup, as the starter while Joe sits his first year, two maybe ever three years. Worked out with Rodgers behind Favre. I know it’s a huge long shot but great players have went in to finish their careers with bad teams.

Joe Burrow's rookie contract will be for 4-5 years. There's no way you let him sit for 2-3 years. Aaron Rodgers and Favre were in prehistoric times.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
The only way it would be workable is with a 1-year deal. I can't see Brady looking at this team and saying "yeah, I could take them to a super bowl in 2020." And I can't see him wanting just one year.

Because, outside of a big paycheck, that's what Brady is looking for, too, more wins.

And, given his age and vocal intent to get paid what he's worth, I don't see him signing anywhere just a year. He's probably looking for mutli years with big dollars.

I'd do it, sure, I just don't think it would happen. And if it did, it wouldn't make much sense to hire burrow, as you'd be putting him behind Brady for probably all of his contract.
Reply/Quote
It'd be a lot more economical to go out and poach a premium OT imo.  Maybe he plays for another year or two and you can hire him as a QB coach, which is pretty much all that he'd be here.  He isn't winning rings with this roster in the timeframe that he has left.
Reply/Quote
WhoDey2

Not a betting man, but if I were, Tom Brady will be opening the new stadium in Las Vegas next year. As the new QB for the Las Vegas Raiders...
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
Why don't we sign Brady to the ~$35-36m a year deal that is being rumored as the "starting point" of negotiations and keep Dalton on for his final year at $17.7m and then Burrow can be mentored by Dalton while Brady has a worse team, weapons, coaching, and ownership to lead us to the Super Bowl!

A big part of the reason that it's being rumored that Brady wants out of New England is it's his last chance at a big payday and he feels they're short on weapons. An injured AJ Green, a #2 having to be #1 (Boyd), and an oft-injured #3 in Ross are not better weapons than what he had in New England. The OLine is worse. The only for sure upgrade would be Mixon. Add in an inexperienced head coach who calls the plays and also has an OC that combined are not as good as his HC or OC he's leaving, much less combined. I just don't see what the draw would be for Brady to even consider Cincinnati as a real option.

At best I could see the Bengals used as leverage to get an even bigger contract than where he eventually signs, but even that is laughable. With his age, I'm sure Troy Blackburn would feel $10m a year is the best they could do.
Reply/Quote
People be playing fantasy football in there heads
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2020, 07:18 PM)muskiesfan Wrote: Why don't we sign Brady to the ~$35-36m a year deal that is being rumored as the "starting point" of negotiations and keep Dalton on for his final year at $17.7m and then Burrow can be mentored by Dalton while Brady has a worse team, weapons, coaching, and ownership to lead us to the Super Bowl!

A big part of the reason that it's being rumored that Brady wants out of New England is it's his last chance at a big payday and he feels they're short on weapons. An injured AJ Green, a #2 having to be #1 (Boyd), and an oft-injured #3 in Ross are not better weapons than what he had in New England. The OLine is worse. The only for sure upgrade would be Mixon. Add in an inexperienced head coach who calls the plays and also has an OC that combined are not as good as his HC or OC he's leaving, much less combined. I just don't see what the draw would be for Brady to even consider Cincinnati as a real option.

At best I could see the Bengals used as leverage to get an even bigger contract than where he eventually signs, but even that is laughable. With his age, I'm sure Troy Blackburn would feel $10m a year is the best they could do.

That, from what I have read, is the entire problem.  His whole career he has played for peanuts to insure the team could have cap space for playmakers on both sides of the ball.  And now he feels slighted because he sacrificed the money he could have made and they still allowed the cupboard to become bare.
Reply/Quote
I'm not saying the word mentor is slightly overused, but it's slightly overused.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
What valid reason would he have to come here? Is he like Kobe and likes the challenge? But yes, the answer is yes, we would be a fool to not take Tom Brady in any capacity. Bengals aren't ready for prime time for a few years at least anyway he might be able to expedite it somehow.
Reply/Quote