Poll: Burrow contract type
Brady
Maholmes
In Betwewn
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Brady or Maholmes
Simple question:

With Joe's personality, what type of contract do you think he wants (considering we know the Bengals will give him a blank check):

Brady - team friendly 35M per so the keep can afford to be kept as top level as possible, maybe so Joe can take TB12s SB record.

Maholmes - high dollar 55M per. This one rather explains itself as it will just give him the highest contract out there.

Edit:

I personally vote Brady as he seems willing to take less to ensure the whole team is successful. Evident by (paraphrased) comments of "I will hand the ball off every play as long as we get the W"
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I voted in-between. I'm sure Burrow wants the most $$$ he can get but if leaving a little on the table keeps perhaps Higgins around?

Brady had a super-model wife who for many years was making more $$$ than he was. I'm sure that played a small part in his decision.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
Who is Maholmes? Is Mawatson his sidekick?
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2022, 11:49 AM)QueenCity Wrote: I voted in-between. I'm sure Burrow wants the most $$$ he can get but if leaving a little on the table keeps perhaps Higgins around?

Brady had a super-model wife who for many years was making more $$$ than he was. I'm sure that played a small part in his decision.

I could be totally off here but I feel like JB will do whatever it takes to make it work to stay in Cinci. It does not seem to be all about the $$ for him. 
I think he is smart enough to understand he needs good weapons to continue be succesful and that will involve some concessions. 
Reply/Quote
Mahomes' contract is actually very team friendly. His biggest Cap hit is $52 MIL in 2031. Meanwhile, QBS such as Watson, Murray, and Rodgers are costing their team that already or by 2024. He did so to allow KC to continue to build

I'd love for Burrow to sign a Mahomes type contract.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-10-2022, 11:55 AM)kalibengal Wrote: I could be totally off here but I feel like JB will do whatever it takes to make it work to stay in Cinci. It does not seem to be all about the $$ for him. 
I think he is smart enough to understand he needs good weapons to continue be succesful and that will involve some concessions. 

Hope you are right...  would really love to keep this young core around a little longer. 
Reply/Quote
Mahomes. I think many of us really overestimate how important championships are to most of these guys in comparison to getting paid. Also, if a QB the caliber of Joe Burrow took a $35MM per year contract, I am pretty sure the NFLPA would have a field day. I see Joe getting in the realm of $50MM-$55MM per year. For what it's worth, Spotrac has Joe's market value set around $44MM per year (6 years, $265MM). I personally think that is a little low, given the circumstances around playoff success so far.
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2022, 11:58 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Mahomes' contract is actually very team friendly. His biggest Cap hit is $52 MIL in 2031. Meanwhile, QBS such as Watson, Murray, and Rodgers are costing their team that already or by 2024. He did so to allow KC to continue to build

I'd love for Burrow to sign a Mahomes type contract.

I was unaware of the specifics, I was just doing it as a more average per year instead of searching breakdowns. This idea was more formed from talks with a coworker this week and our debate on the subject. If that contract helped keep us contenders/winners long-term then sign me up as well.
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2022, 12:09 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Mahomes. I think many of us really overestimate how important championships are to most of these guys in comparison to getting paid. Also, if a QB the caliber of Joe Burrow took a $35MM per year contract, I am pretty sure the NFLPA would have a field day. I see Joe getting in the realm of $50MM-$55MM per year. For what it's worth, Spotrac has Joe's market value set around $44MM per year (6 years, $265MM). I personally think that is a little low, given the circumstances around playoff success so far.

Just curious but what could the NFLPA do about a superstar taking a home-town discount to keep his team hyper-competitive? Just because it would ruin their narrative for coercion against the NFL Owners? 

No way they can try to swing that the Bengals brass strong armed him, they would be laughed out of existence. A "poor" "weak" franchise bullied the unflappable Burrow? Come on now.
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2022, 12:17 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: Just curious but what could the NFLPA do about a superstar taking a home-town discount to keep his team hyper-competitive? Just because it would ruin their narrative for coercion against the NFL Owners? 

No way they can try to swing that the Bengals brass strong armed him, they would be laughed out of existence. A "poor" "weak" franchise bullied the unflappable Burrow? Come on now.

Genuinely not sure what they could do, if anything. Something like that has never really happened, though, so there isn't much precedent. The narrative that Brady takes hometown discounts was built up after he started aging. Up until 2013-ish (when he was already 36), every time Brady signed a new contract or restructured it he became the highest paid QB in the league (aside from 2002, what a deal that was). He was taking lesser contracts when he was older because he was...older. 
Reply/Quote
QB's are more likely to take the hometown discount on their 3rd contract. That said, I don't expect Burrow to be cheap, but I also don't see him wanting to be the top paid guy if it means taking a little less keeps Tee around and the line in front of him whole. He said losing the State Championship still bothers him. Imagine what losing the SB with Chase wide open is doing to him.
Reply/Quote
QB salary IMO should be separate from the salary cap. Or you can only max it out to a certain % but can pay over without penalty.

NFL should want elite QB's to have enough talent around them to make a SB push every season.

^^^ Although this wouldn't be fair to other teams trying to rebuild.
Reply/Quote
Burrow had his knee put into the meat grinder his first year. Smart enough to know this all can be gone tomorrow. He will get that Brinks truck.
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
Burrow is in line for a big PAYDAY !

He may let them structure it as friendly as possible, but his agent will make sure he gets his and Joe deserves it.

His next contract after this one is when he may go team friendly per already being set for life.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2022, 01:34 PM)QueenCity Wrote: QB salary IMO should be separate from the salary cap.  Or you can only max it out to a certain % but can pay over without penalty.

NFL should want elite QB's to have enough talent around them to make a SB push every season.

^^^  Although this wouldn't be fair to other teams trying to rebuild.

I understand the argument but disagree. Though, it seems like elite QBs on QB priced contracts keeps the NFL parity strong. I don't think they expect QBs to pull a Burrow within 2 years. 

Case in point, LAC with Herbert is still not able to get above .500 with all the talent on his rookie contract. Once Herbert gets paid, it will really be interesting how that team goes since they are this way with a rookie contract.
Reply/Quote
I have always hoped he would do the Brady route and take less money so we can spread it around to the rest of the team. What’s the records for all of these guys with massive contracts. Watson? Well we’ll have to wait until next year to be sure. Wilson’s team stinks, Murray’s team stinks. Mahomes I would have expected to have a down year as the talent begins to degrade around him, but he is still getting it done.

I certainly won’t fault him for going for the most he can get but obviously I’d love to see that money spread around. Hopefully once he’s getting paid we will have sustained enough success that we can bring in vets for better deals that want to go on a Super Bowl run with Burrow.
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2022, 03:18 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: I understand the argument but disagree. Though, it seems like elite QBs on QB priced contracts keeps the NFL parity strong. I don't think they expect QBs to pull a Burrow within 2 years. 

Case in point, LAC with Herbert is still not able to get above .500 with all the talent on his rookie contract. Once Herbert gets paid, it will really be interesting how that team goes since they are this way with a rookie contract.

Herbert’s not the best case as that team has been pretty decimated by injuries, especially this year.
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2022, 03:05 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Burrow is in line for a big PAYDAY !

He may let them structure it as friendly as possible, but his agent will make sure he gets his and Joe deserves it.  

His next contract after this one is when he may go team friendly per already being set for life.

Yep

I believe some people waayyyy over estimate how team friendly a deal Joe is going to accept. Especially like others have said on this contract. I could see Joe not having to be the top paid QB. But he's not going to play for peanuts just because he likes it here.
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2022, 10:34 AM)WVUHomer Wrote: Simple question:

With Joe's personality, what type of contract do you think he wants (considering we know the Bengals will give him a blank check):

Brady - team friendly 35M per so the keep can afford to be kept as top level as possible, maybe so Joe can take TB12s SB record.

Maholmes - high dollar 55M per. This one rather explains itself as it will just give him the highest contract out there.

Edit:

I personally vote Brady as he seems willing to take less to ensure the whole team is successful. Evident by (paraphrased) comments of "I will hand the ball off every play as long as we get the W"

Mahomes by a long shot if we want to keep Tee and Chase.  This is not even close, Mahomes has rolling guarantees and is extremely cap friendly.  

Reply/Quote
(12-10-2022, 03:24 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: Herbert’s not the best case as that team has been pretty decimated by injuries, especially this year.

Slater (which yes is big but ivebheard its not been as bad with Salyer playing well in his place).
Guyton 
Off and On Allen and Williams

Am I missing any? JC Jackson was benched before his injury so I'm not accounting that as he has been terrible this year.

They also have Mack, Bosa, James on D to keep the games closer. Again, i don't follow them enough but he will always be the main case study for Burrow how they both have played.
Reply/Quote