Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bragging online
So I just had a really good experience and I'd love to tell people about it, but when I star to do something like that here or on facebook I feel like I am just bragging.

I don't mind bragging to immediate family, but even with my best friends I feel a little awkward initiating a conversation about a personal accomplishment.  The only way I really feel comfortable is if I can naturally work it into a conversation.  For example I never tell anyone I am an attorney until they ask what I do something about the legal system or law comes up in a conversation.

But when I read posts by other people I often don't think badly of them for bragging (unless it is some asshole know-it-all).  I usually am glad to hear good news about anything.

How do you guys feel about making a thread or facebook post just to announce something you did?
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2019, 05:57 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So I just had a really good experience and I'd love to tell people about it, but when I star to do something like that here or on facebook I feel like I am just bragging.

I don't mind bragging to immediate family, but even with my best friends I feel a little awkward initiating a conversation about a personal accomplishment.  The only way I really feel comfortable is if I can naturally work it into a conversation.  For example I never tell anyone I am an attorney until they ask what I do something about the legal system or law comes up in a conversation.

But when I read posts by other people I often don't think badly of them for bragging (unless it is some asshole know-it-all).  I usually am glad to hear good news about anything.

How do you guys feel about making a thread or facebook post just to announce something you did?

I'm in the same boat Fred. People are actually shocked when they find out what I retired from. So I kind of dance around that subject. Usually the first question I get is, did you ever kill someone..... So generally I don't brag or talk about myself, it made my life a lot easier being humble.
Reply/Quote
Honestly just go with it if your at peace with what you're doing. Some people are going to think you're bragging, but if you're just looking to share some good news or something you're happy about, who cares.

There was a thread a little while ago about how somebody had a few good things happen to them. I thought about making my contribution, but I just didn't want to share/steal the spotlight when someone else was feeling good and made a thread about it.

Maybe we just need a running "feel good" thread on here that people can post in.
Reply/Quote
I think it's ok to post about your first bukake.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Fred, glad you posted this. Many times, I won’t say a darn thing because when I want to, a little voice says, “get over yourself.” Yeah, she’s about 5ft 6” and she’s my wife, but still. LOL

Reply/Quote
Also, let’s not forget those who lay waiting to take your joy away cause they can’t stand it. LOL

[Image: texts-from-dogs-27.jpg]

Reply/Quote
I think it’s often in the way it’s presented.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
Well, I did once single handedly win the world series and the super bowl in the same season and bang all the cheer leaders on every team, but I don't like to brag about things I'm a complete liar about.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2019, 05:21 AM)grampahol Wrote: Well, I did once bang all the cheer leaders on every team

[Image: ravensMales.jpeg]
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2019, 09:56 AM)Beaker Wrote: [Image: ravensMales.jpeg]

Damn!

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2019, 10:01 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Damn!

You must have been reading my mind ahead of time when I thought of the interrobang... ‽   Yeah, That's it.. The interrobang!  How many of YOU have ever interrobanged an entire cheerleading squad ‽ 

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2019, 06:04 PM)grampahol Wrote: You must have been reading my mind ahead of time when I thought of the interrobang... ‽   Yeah, That's it.. The interrobang!  How many of YOU have ever interrobanged an entire cheerleading squad ‽ 

No. Just thought more like, “Daaaaayyyyyyyuuuuummmm!” But was in a hurry. LOL

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2019, 06:04 PM)grampahol Wrote: You must have been reading my mind ahead of time when I thought of the interrobang... ‽   Yeah, That's it.. The interrobang!  How many of YOU have ever interrobanged an entire cheerleading squad ‽ 

It's 2019, sir.  You have nothing to be ashamed of, anymore..    Ninja

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2019, 07:46 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: It's 2019, sir.  You have nothing to be ashamed of, anymore..    Ninja

Are you taking a guess that I've lost all will to live already? How DARE you‽ <--- me expressing rhetorical shock.. You can tell, eh? Actually I have much to be ashamed of, but I just quit caring since nobody else cares these days.. 

Reply/Quote
(03-07-2019, 05:57 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So I just had a really good experience and I'd love to tell people about it, but when I star to do something like that here or on facebook I feel like I am just bragging.

I dont do it, I find Facebook narcissistic and in all honesty when someone is gushing over something I did professionally it makes me feel very uncomfortable. 

My attitude in life is everyone in life has something special to contribute and different from one another, so what I do is positive like others but am not comfortable talking about it. I'd rather let my actions speak for themselves.

I also dont judge people who do, its just not my thing.
Reply/Quote
Do what you feel comfortable with is my motto, since I try not to judge.  If someone on FB overshares and too often, then I'll block them on my NEWS feed.  But that's personal preference level.

Personally, I share almost nothing on FB.  I probably post one thing every other year these days.  The exception was during Hurricane Harvey, when loads of family and friends wanted regular updates. 

I share things like major employment changes, like when I go re-employed after being laid off.  I shared that.  I did not share that 15 months earlier that I had been laid off.  Didn't want the sympathy or the continual "How's the job search?" questions.  But for those who knew, I wanted them to know without contacting everyone specifically.  Again this is just my level of comfort.

Bottom Line however in my mind is that people generally won't complain about the lack of updates.  :)
Reply/Quote