Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SSDD when it comes to the Steelers
(11-16-2020, 05:56 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Absolutely fantastic post. I’m putting this in that HoF thingy.

Wait, there's a HOF for posts?  That's interesting, how have I not seen this?  
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2020, 05:31 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: tldr Mike = Your old Aunt Ester

Agreed.  I say this every year around this time...the holidays are coming up so find a family member who is around Mike Brown's age and convince him/her to change his/her mind on anything.  That'll give you an idea how likely it is Mike Brown is going to change his tune.

(11-16-2020, 11:26 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Wait, there's a HOF for posts?  That's interesting, how have I not seen this?  

Asking where the HOF is is a question people who can only get in there with a ticket ask. When you're HOFer the HOF finds you.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
We started right out of the gate shooting ourselves in the foot like 4 times. I knew right then it's a "here we go again" game.

Why we keep doing it ? no idea ?
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2020, 11:26 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Wait, there's a HOF for posts?  That's interesting, how have I not seen this?  

http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-JN-POST-HOF?page=4

Reply/Quote
(11-16-2020, 08:48 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote:   Welcome back to the 1990s.

I get so sick of hearing this BS. Were you even here for the 90's, because I remember the 90's. The best you could hope for when you turned on the game on Sunday was that the loss wasn't too embarrassing. You may be dwelling in such misery right now, but I turn on the game now every Sunday expecting a win. This team is increasingly getting better and better, and Burrow gives us a chance in any game. He pretty much stunk up the place Sunday, but he's a rookie, and now he knows what it's like to play Pissburgh. We had rookies and practice squad guys manning most of the field.... what did you really expect?
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2020, 05:53 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Not really. We should have beat them in the playoffs, and McCarron was pretty bad. We need a defense with some Steeler killers like Nelson and Burfict again.

That game was an anomaly....lol....we usually let them run all over us, and the offense had to be perfect...and on the rare occasion the defense showed up for 4qtrs, the offense was trash. This is a recurring theme, regardless of roster, coaches, etc. 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-16-2020, 05:31 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: See, I don't think it's really a money issue.  I think it stems more from stubborness than cheapness.

Convincing Mike Brown to build a practice facilty is like convincing your old aunt Ester that using a Roku or a FireStick with Youtube Live or HuluTV is better than keeping cable package she never negotiates, and only uses to watch 3 channels. 

Now you might think old Ester is cheap and doesn't want to buy the equipment, but at the same time she buys MyPillow's and all sorts of overpriced junk.  The reason she's not switching has nothing to do with money, and everything to do her being old and set in her ways.

Mike could overhaul his scouting department, and bring it up to the league average, with an investment of about 1 million dollars (12 additional scouts at 80k average).  He could add a GM for about 2-3 million a year.

For a total cost of under 5 million dollars he could have a perfectly modern, and acceptable front office.  And while some may point to the 5 million as an extra expense, they need to remember better performance will bring in more money.  Not to mention it saves you from buring money on players like Antonio Bryant, or Lavernous Coles, or AJ Green this year.

The Bengals have an operating budget of well north of 225 million dollars a year.  At 5 million, you're talking an increase of 2%.  When you have empty seats, unsold luxury boxes, and lost revenue from merchandise and concessions, any normal business owner would consider the following investment miniscule if it were made in the hopes of more than paying for itself.

I could be wrong.  Maybe he is just cheap.  But I think he's just a stubborn old man, just like his dad was.  People hate to hear this, but Paul Brown was past his prime long before he came here.  He's the reason the league unionized to begin with, because he too was old and stubborn, and coached like it was still the 40's.

I think Mike is the same way.  He wants to win his way.  Winning his way is more important than simply winning.  Saying he's cheap is too easy of an out.  He's cheap like an old person is cheap, which just means not spending on anything they're not familair with.  They'll spend 300% more on Tide detergent, and they'll keep both a house phone and a cell phone, but they'll approach the thought of buying a cell phone App for 1.99 like it's insane.

tldr Mike = Your old Aunt Ester

He cheap. Remember the little towels, charging for Gatorade and deodorant, etc? In all honesty, it's a bit of both, but the stubbornness comes from being cheap. At least they are spending on players these days.... it's baby steps.

Reply/Quote
(11-15-2020, 11:45 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: If this beatdown and the piss poor performances had come against any other team, I would be much more concerned and worried. However, it came against the team that always make us their b-tches, so all I can honestly take away from this one is that it's just more of the same when it comes to playing Shitsburgh...which is we have no goddamn clue how to play them.

The Bengals have now lost 11 in a row to them (including the PO loss), and have a 3-18 record against them since 2010. Hell, they are just 14-45 against them under Mike Brown. Just a sickening level of domination.

So, while they got their asses handed to them yet again by the Steelers, it's hard to know how to accurately judge this game, because this has been happening for 3 stinking decades now.

It is strange how a team in your own Division can just dominate you this badly. Shows how much Mikey really cares or even knows
about football. Have to have great coaches and invest in the trenches in order to beat these types of teams. I don't know what to 
think about this loss except I am ready to move on from Taylor, Lou, Turner and everybody but Simmons at this point.

Sick of it man, just sick of it.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2020, 08:51 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: It is strange how a team in your own Division can just dominate you this badly. Shows how much Mikey really cares or even knows
about football. Have to have great coaches and invest in the trenches in order to beat these types of teams. I don't know what to 
think about this loss except I am ready to move on from Taylor, Lou, Turner and everybody but Simmons at this point.

Simmons shouldn't be safe, his unit was dogshit too. Erickson played probably the biggest role in the loss. Aside from the fumble, he pinned us deep several more times with bad decisions. 

Reply/Quote
(11-17-2020, 08:51 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: It is strange how a team in your own Division can just dominate you this badly. Shows how much Mikey really cares or even knows

You would think Mike would be sick of being taken out behind the woodshed by the Steelers for two decades but it doesn't seem to bother him.

Losing to the Browns, and they haven't been anything in decades either does ?

Go figure ? WTF
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2020, 10:19 PM)Wyche Wrote: Simmons shouldn't be safe, his unit was dogshit too. Erickson played probably the biggest role in the loss. Aside from the fumble, he pinned us deep several more times with bad decisions. 

Well I wouldn't put Erickson's mistakes on Simmons myself. Is there another Punt Returner on the team that has more sure
hands then Erickson? Simmons has actually been a good coach unlike Taylor and company. Honestly I would fire Taylor and 
promote Simmons to interim HC right now if it was me or even better bring in Wade Phillips.

(11-18-2020, 12:56 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: You would think Mike would be sick of being taken out behind the woodshed by the Steelers for two decades but it doesn't seem to bother him.

Go figure ? WTF

You would think so, I don't understand it either. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2020, 05:21 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Well I wouldn't put Erickson's mistakes on Simmons myself. Is there another Punt Returner on the team that has more sure
hands then Erickson? Simmons has actually been a good coach unlike Taylor and company. Honestly I would fire Taylor and 
promote Simmons to interim HC right now if it was me or even better bring in Wade Phillips.

He sits behind the woodshed counting the money. Helps him forget about the losses.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(11-18-2020, 05:26 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: He sits behind the woodshed counting the money. Helps him forget about the losses.

I guess so, he be a greedy, greedy man.

Me myself would rather have the Super Bowl wins. Kind of brings you more money too.
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2020, 05:21 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Well I wouldn't put Erickson's mistakes on Simmons myself. Is there another Punt Returner on the team that has more sure

Phillips is the other guy, he was out, but they gave up a big return too. Pratt saved the TD , but it went inside the 10. We got beat in all three phases Sunday, except for the fake.

Reply/Quote
(11-17-2020, 12:22 PM)Wyche Wrote: He cheap. Remember the little towels, charging for Gatorade and deodorant, etc? In all honesty, it's a bit of both, but the stubbornness comes from being cheap. At least they are spending on players these days.... it's baby steps.

I think we're in 95% agreement.  I will definitely admit he's cheap.  I just think that cheapness is driven by stubborness, which is basically another way of saying he's an old dude, who is the football equivalent of "In my day we used to walk to school 10 miles in the snow, up a 45 degree hill, and we ate pooridge for breakfast lunch and dinner, and we didn't complain."

I just think he's completely out of touch, and has been for his entire tenure.  He doesn't believe in a lot of ammentities or perks, because that's not important in his mind.

Conversely to the idea he's cheap, he's also known for "honoring contracts", and he's more than generous when taking care of his own (See Bernard, Gio).  He never tries to use leverage to renogiate contracts, even though he could (See Atkins, Geno)

Those are also old man philosophies and sayings.  They look a man in the eye, and they make handshake deals.  They don't wear hats indoors.  They eat dinner at precisely 5:00 o'clock every night, and they still think "look at the gams on that dame" is a perfectly acceptable obversation.

So yeah, we both agree the old man is cheap.  I just think he's cheap in the way an old man is cheap.  The old bastard probably still subsribes to the Enquirer and gets his oil changed every 3,000 miles, because that's the way he's always done it, and he likes it that way. 
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2020, 09:41 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I think we're in 95% agreement.  I will definitely admit he's cheap.  I just think that cheapness is driven by stubborness, which is basically another way of saying he's an old dude, who is the football equivalent of "In my day we used to walk to school 10 miles in the snow, up a 45 degree hill, and we ate pooridge for breakfast lunch and dinner, and we didn't complain."

I just think he's completely out of touch, and has been for his entire tenure.  He doesn't believe in a lot of ammentities or perks, because that's not important in his mind.

Conversely to the idea he's cheap, he's also known for "honoring contracts", and he's more than generous when taking care of his own (See Bernard, Gio).  He never tries to use leverage to renogiate contracts, even though he could (See Atkins, Geno)

Those are also old man philosophies and sayings.  They look a man in the eye, and they make handshake deals.  They don't wear hats indoors.  They eat dinner at precisely 5:00 o'clock every night, and they still think "look at the gams on that dame" is a perfectly acceptable obversation.

So yeah, we both agree the old man is cheap.  I just think he's cheap in the way an old man is cheap.  The old bastard probably still subsribes to the Enquirer and gets his oil changed every 3,000 miles, because that's the way he's always done it, and he likes it that way. 

I totally get what you're saying....I can buy that.

Reply/Quote
(11-18-2020, 12:56 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: You would think Mike would be sick of being taken out behind the woodshed by the Steelers for two decades but it doesn't seem to bother him.

Go figure ? WTF

ZT is 1-3 against the Browns and they swept us this year plus there is little evidence that Mike Brown actually fired Marvin Lewis when the Browns swept us during his last year, too.  The idea that losing to the Browns bothers Mike Brown can hold water, but it sure doesn't seem to make him do stuff in response, does it?
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2020, 01:14 PM)Nately120 Wrote: ZT is 1-3 against the Browns and they swept us this year plus there is little evidence that Mike Brown actually fired Marvin Lewis when the Browns swept us during his last year, too.  The idea that losing to the Browns bothers Mike Brown can hold water, but it sure doesn't seem to make him do stuff in response, does it?

Oh I've never bought the theory Marvin got fired for losing to the Browns. In fact I've never bought ML got fired at all. 

I just think it's a little odd that like you say evidence shows Mike hates losing to the Browns. And I get it, but that was 50+ years ago and the Browns haven't been anything since the 80's and really even way before that.

But another division team (that is whether we want to admit it or not) a top notch NFL team uses us for a doormat and it sure seems he could care less.

It comes off like as long as we can beat the other celler dwellers I'm good. Who cares about being up among and beating the best.
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2020, 07:22 PM)Wyche Wrote: Phillips is the other guy, he was out, but they gave up a big return too. Pratt saved the TD , but it went inside the 10. We got beat in all three phases Sunday, except for the fake.

I agree as usual, just saying Simmons has been a top ST's in the league for years.

All these other coaches seem to just be pathetic.

Nice hustle by Pratt on that play, always loved his hustle. Never gives up on plays.
Reply/Quote
I thought of something else when it comes to us being shamefully obsessed with the Steelers...we cited getting the Steelers in the playoffs as a main reason the NFL expanded the playoffs to 9 seeds and the Steelers are currently 9-0 and the only undefeated team in the NFL and the 1st seed. Ouch.

Get 'em next time, I guess.
Reply/Quote