Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Brandin Cooks
(10-29-2020, 08:41 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: There's been a lot of talk about the Texans shopping their guys and how all their WRs are available. They look like they're going to go into some turmoil now that O'Brien is gone and they'll bring in new folks.

I think it'd be smart if the Bengals went after Cooks. A 3rd, a 6th, and AJ Green (for money reasons). The Bengals would snag 3.5 years of a productive 4.3 speed WR to combine with Boyd and Higgins, the Texans get some picks for their new guy who'll come in this offseason and probably can trade AJ to another team for a 6th or so.

Cooks is 27 and under contract for $8m (so ~$4.5m left) this year, $12m in 21, $12m in 22, and $12.5m in 23 with $0 in dead money in all three years.

WR would be set for the Bengals for at least the next 3 years with Boyd/Higgins/Cooks (which is roughly how long they have before Burrow's $ will explode into silly numbers), and with WR set they could focus all their attention on OL.

I like the idea of acquiring Cooks. Would save an early draft pick in the upcoming draft, as there does need to be a replacement in the top 3 WRs for AJ, who will likely sign elsewhere. There may be other possibilities out there, but acquiring Cooks now would allow for he and Burrow to get on the same page. Would make for a formidable passing attack next season.

The OL and DL would then become the focus of the draft, provided the team re-signs Jackson.

I still believe a new coaching staff is also necessary for a winning team.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-29-2020, 01:24 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Fair.

Let me rephrase - With Boyd playing very well and Higgins also playing well, I don't think this team needs to spend that much for another WR.

If they were to get Cooks, I see one of three things happening:
1) Cooks doesn't get enough targets/production to justify that cost
2) The addition of Cooks cuts into Higgins's opportunities
3) This team goes even more pass-oriented to feed all of Boyd, Higgins, Cooks, and Uzomah/Sample, thus resulting in their running game not being used as much, thus potentially devaluing Mixon, who was just paid about the same as what Cooks is making.

I like the thought of adding Josh Reynolds, who has good speed and size, he just isn't blazing fast like Cooks. He's playing well for LAR right now, on pace for over 600 yards as their WR3 behind Woods and Kupp. Plus, he had familiarity with Tayor, and I would imagine he'd come at half the price (or less) than Cooks.

But that's just my take. I understand the value Cooks would bring and he could do well. I just think there're better places to put that money than another WR.
You could sell me more on it though if the Bengals released Uzomah to free up an extra $5.3 mill to help cover the cap hit.

Well, I’d much rather have Cooks than Uzomah...

I think we need to get Burrow a true playmaking TE anyway.

Reply/Quote
(10-29-2020, 09:25 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Well, I’d much rather have Cooks than Uzomah...

I'm actually amazed that some people think we should keep Uzomah.  He was already most likely a cap casualty before the injury, and now he's coming off a torn achilies.

A few people have said that we have to keep him because he was playing so well.  The guy had a 45 yard game, and a 42 yard game.  It's not like he threw up an 8 catch, 120 yard 2 TD game in there.

Through 6 seasons his career high is 439 yards receiving.  Every other year was 242 and under.  And for people that maybe think he makes up for lack of volume by being a red zone threat, he's got 8 career TD's. (Average of 1.3 TD's a season)

Why on Earth would you want to pay a guy with this history, coming off the worst injury you possibly have, 6.3 million dollars in 2021?  We can cut bait and still save 5.3 mil after eating a relatively small amount, as he's going into his final year.
Reply/Quote
It's a Bengal-esque move, but I wouldn't mind having Marvin Jones back. He'd look good behind Higgins and Boyd.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2020, 01:02 AM)samhain Wrote: It's a Bengal-esque move, but I wouldn't mind having Marvin Jones back.  He'd look good behind Higgins and Boyd.

He'll be 31 next year and while it's TBD this year, the previous two years he's been hurt.

I feel like bringing Marvin Jones back is a lot of the same downside of bringing AJ Green back, but without the AJ Green upside, and I already don't think they should bring AJ back precisely because of those downsides.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
John Ross is at it again...would be awsome to ship his ass and get a guy like Cooks who is OFF THE SCALES BETTER
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2020, 08:56 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I like the idea of acquiring Cooks. Would save an early draft pick in the upcoming draft, as there does need to be a replacement in the top 3 WRs for AJ, who will likely sign elsewhere. There may be other possibilities out there, but acquiring Cooks now would allow for he and Burrow to get on the same page. Would make for a formidable passing attack next season.

The OL and DL would then become the focus of the draft, provided the team re-signs Jackson.

I still believe a new coaching staff is also necessary for a winning team.

I believe the same Chris, nice post.
Reply/Quote
If we focus, we can find the type of receivers the Chiefs have targeted in round 3 through 6. What is a Chief's WR?

They have quickness and speed. They may lack a bulky body build like Hardman (2nd round), Pringle (6th round) and Robinson (4th round). Hill (5th round) is the exception in this group, small in height but built like a running back for his size.

Then they have Watkins (former 1st round pick of Bills), who is big & fast and runs like a running back.

They have a great TE Kelcey which makes it all work.

But, Watkins is the only 1st round wide receiver in the group.

Reid has many packages he can use including putting 3 extremely quick and fast WR's with an world TE.

So, I think we can find better versions of Erickson, Thomas and replace AJ Green and the huge salary via the draft. But, the biggest priority to me is finding and paying big bucks for the great pass catching TE who hopefully can block. That is our missing piece and 2 speedy and quick WR's to compliment Boyd, Higgins and Tate would make this group special in my opinion. Sadly Ross I thought could have been one of those guys, he has 8 games to prove it or we need 3 guys, one for Green, Erickson and Ross. Thomas maybe, but he is a very good special team WR.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2020, 11:36 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: If we focus, we can find the type of receivers the Chiefs have targeted in round 3 through 6. What is a Chief's WR?

They have quickness and speed. They may lack a bulky body build like Hardman (2nd round), Pringle (6th round) and Robinson (4th round). Hill (5th round) is the exception in this group, small in height but built like a running back for his size.

Then they have Watkins (former 1st round pick of Bills), who is big & fast and runs like a running back.

Reid has many packages he can use including putting 3 extremely quick and fast WR's with an world TE.

So, I think we can find better versions of Erickson, Thomas and replace AJ Green and the huge salary via the draft. But, the biggest priority to me is finding and paying big bucks for the great pass catching TE who hopefully can block. That is our missing piece and 2 speedy and quick WR's to compliment Boyd, Higgins and Tate would make this group special in my opinion. Sadly Ross I thought could have been one of those guys, he has 8 games to prove it or we need 3 guys, one for Green, Erickson and Ross. Thomas maybe, but he is a very good special team WR.

All for copying the prior Super Bowl winner...
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2020, 11:36 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: If we focus, we can find the type of receivers the Chiefs have targeted in round 3 through 6. What is a Chief's WR?

Bengals could also get Pitts or Freiermuth in Rd 1 if they want that type of TE.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-18-2020, 03:43 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Bengals could also get Pitts or Freiermuth in Rd 1 if they want that type of TE.

Might be the way to go if Sewell isn't there and then go pass rushers in the 2nd and 3rd like we spoke of in the other FA thread.
Reply/Quote