Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brandon Allen
Allen nearly beat Browns last season with our backups. Lets give him a break with besides Volson playing with backups, Number 4 WR maybe a concern I still like Pryor though. I don't think Mike Thomas brings any thing hoping he goes
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2022, 03:43 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Allen nearly beat Browns last season with our backups. Lets give him a break with besides Volson playing with backups, Number 4 WR maybe a concern I still like Pryor though. I don't think Mike Thomas brings any thing hoping he goes

Considering our defense scored as many TDs as the Allen-led offense, I'm going to say it was our defense that "nearly beat" the Browns last season.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2022, 03:21 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Not even close.  In '20 and '21 Allen had an 82.0 passer rating over 176 attempts.

Here are the passer ratings from some back up QBs last year (min 50 att)

Jake Fromm....... 38.9
Mike Glennon..... 49.7
P.J. Walker......... 56.5
Tim Boyle.......... 63.5
Jordan Love....... 68.7
M. Rudolph........ 70.8
Mike White........ 75.1
Tyler Huntly....... 76.6
Tyrod Taylor....... 78.7
Well, I guess that'll be awesome if we can go back to 2020 or 2021 but in 2022 Brandon Allen sucks.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2022, 03:48 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Well, I guess that'll be awesome if we can go back to 2020 or 2021 but in 2022 Brandon Allen sucks.

If you go by 2 preseason games than Chase would have been benched last year.

I doubt that Allen has forgotten how to play quarterback in just 12 months.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2022, 03:51 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If you go by 2 preseason games than Chase would have been benched last year.

I doubt that Allen has forgotten how to play quarterback in just 12 months.

I know . . . you read stats far more than you watch games. It's your thing.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
Let me just say there has to be a backup out there better than Allen.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2022, 03:57 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: I know . . . you read stats far more than you watch games. It's your thing.

I think you are confused here.  I never called for Chase to be benched based on how he looked in the pre-season last year like you are doing with Allen this year.

I have no idea what watching the games and looking at stats have to do with anything.
Reply/Quote
Here’s my thought: Brandon Allen isn’t good enough. The offensive line got better which usually makes the quarterback better — but Brandon looked the same as last year.

Brandon might be borderline acceptable in an end of game mop-up role when the Bengals have an insurmountable lead and Joe Burrow needs to come out of the game and avoid injury — but if Joe goes down for any length of time we’re screwed.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2022, 04:06 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Here’s my thought:  Brandon Allen isn’t good enough.  The offensive line got better which usually makes the quarterback better — but Brandon looked the same as last year.  

Brandon might be borderline acceptable in an end of game mop-up role when the Bengals have an insurmountable lead and Joe Burrow needs to come out of the game and avoid injury — but if Joe goes down for any length of time we’re screwed.

Yep. Brandon has won 1 game as a starting QB for the Bengals and it was against a Texans team that was only half a game worse than us in 2020. 
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2022, 04:06 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Here’s my thought: Brandon Allen isn’t good enough. The offensive line got better which usually makes the quarterback better — but Brandon looked the same as last year.

But the backups haven't... and guess who suited up last night? Against a starting D and getting blitzed constantly.

It is truly amazing the lack of nuance and context being thrown around on this board...
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2022, 03:02 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Mike Glennon threw 10 picks in just 167 attempts last year on his way to posting a 49.7 passer rating.

Cross him off then...
Reply/Quote
*Tap dancing as I sing...* "It's preseason.. Didja expect Joe Burrow in the flesh?"  maybe they're just hoping he breaks something other than the team in preseason.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Meh I'm more worried about the depth at Wide Receiver than I am about the backup QB.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-22-2022, 04:33 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Cross him off then...

He's arguably the best FA QB right now. 
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2022, 04:35 PM)Synric Wrote: Meh I'm more worried about the depth at Wide Receiver than I am about the backup QB.

I think Trent can actually be a serviceable #4 if an injury was only for a game or two. He has made some nice catches and does seem to get open well.
Reply/Quote
Dolphin's 7th round rookie QB from Kansas State is having a hell of a pre-season. If he gets waived I wouldnt mind him coming to Cincy to compete for the backup spot.

... but he would have to make it to 31 on the waiver wire lol.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-22-2022, 04:19 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Yep. Brandon has won 1 game as a starting QB for the Bengals and it was against a Texans team that was only half a game worse than us in 2020. 

Allen won 1 out of 5 with the same team that Burrow won 2 of 10.

And Allen's 126.5 passer rating was better than any single game Burrow posted that season. 
Reply/Quote
1. Rarely are backups starting QBs, that is why they are backups, yes Allen is not the top backup but he is a veteran.
2. You really cant judge Allen that well with how bad our Oline he is playing with, if we have some starters on the Oline last preseason that would be a better gauge
3. Allen does a good job playing it safe and not having turnovers, that is what I want with pressure and our top WRs will help him out I prefer that over what I saw last night when Browning is throwing the ball into triple coverage and into middle the field running to sideline, almost a pick...they are not ready for the pressure,
4. I trust Taylor, if he felt Allen was unable to run the offense he would not be keeping him.
Reply/Quote
I think Brandon would respond well to more positive support from the fans. Next game we should chant "Let's go, Brandon!" when the Bengals have the ball.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2022, 06:13 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I think Brandon would respond well to more positive support from the fans.  Next game we should chant "Let's go, Brandon!" when the Bengals have the ball.

This made me laugh. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote