Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brandon Allen Re-signed
Bengals re-singing him to a one year deal.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2021/3/9/22322513/brandon-allen-bengals-free-agency-2021-nfl-news-contract?fbclid=IwAR1oUzz6yHP7sZICa5qm_BXksvU8XDdnTeKbx4evhYXGOR4OU45nYQas4T4
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
Solid move. Hopefully the next step its cutting Finley.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Smart move. The guy knows the offense and looked solid enough for a back-up. No reason to let him leave.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Good move, I wonder if this means Finley will be cut
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2021, 11:48 PM)Joelist Wrote: Solid move. Hopefully the next step its cutting Finley.

Finley has earned his spot with the Steelers game. He's done his job as a 4th round pick for that game as far as I'm concerned. 

No biggie if he's cut, but the pick was successful in my book. No bust (not that you were calling him one).

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2021, 11:52 PM)jj22 Wrote: Finley has earned his spot with the Steelers game. He's done his job as a 4th round pick for that game as far as I'm concerned. 

No biggie if he's cut, but the pick was successful in my book. No bust (not that you were calling him one).

Really wasn't. Just not sure we should be carrying 3 QBs. 
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2021, 11:52 PM)jj22 Wrote: Finley has earned his spot with the Steelers game. He's done his job as a 4th round pick for that game as far as I'm concerned.

You can't be serious

Finley isn't an NFL level QB
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2021, 12:47 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: You can't be serious

Finley isn't an NFL level QB

You mean you weren’t impressed with his 7/13 89 yard performance?? Man, hard to please some folks. Ninja

Reply/Quote
Ryan Finely beat the Pittsburgh Steelers something no Bengal QB has done since 2015.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-10-2021, 01:06 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: You mean you weren’t impressed with his 7/13 89 yard performance?? Man, hard to please some folks. Ninja

Ryan had 2 TDs, 101 passer rating, and a victory over the steelers and yet some will look for the dark cloud in front of the silver lining. When's the last time a Bengal QB did that against the Steelers? 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
good move would've been signing Alex Smith...

you guys are crazy...Brandon Allen is a nobody who's supposed to help Burrow in the NFL?

sorry guys.....Burrow is on his own again... Alex Smith couldve helped him LIKE MAHOMES
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2021, 01:19 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Ryan had 2 TDs, 101 passer rating, and a victory over the steelers and yet some will look for the dark cloud in front of the silver lining. When's the last time a Bengal QB did that against the Steelers? 

When’s the last time a Bengals defense showed up like that against the Steelers? Oh right, 2015.

Are you advocating keeping him on the roster because of one win?

Reply/Quote
This franchise drives me asbolutely nuts.

They pick some guy up off the street, who was on his 4th team in 5 years, and because of one good game they decide that their backup QB position is now solified.

The guy had 2 bad stats, 1 ok start, 1 good start, and 1 TERRIBLE start. Am I the only one who remembers the last game of the year?

6-21 for 48 yards, 0 TD's and 2 picks. 28.7 completion % and 0.0 QB rating.

On the year he had a 82.0 QB rating, with 63% completion %. 5 TD's and 4 INT's.

These numbers are not necessarily terrible, but they're far from great. The way people talk you'd think he went on a Nick Foles type of stretch of games in relief, or Doug Flutie or something.

I will say the guy played much better than what I thought he would (my expectations were low), but I just don't understand how you can decide this early that you don't want to even look at the QB market in FA. (For those that say they still may, don't fool yourself. They just made their choice.)

It just such a lazy, typical Bengals move. Burrow has a legitimate chance of missing time, and the backup position matters more than we invest into it. But of course we'll just throw this guy into the role because he's already here and he's not absolutely terrible so why not. That's the Bengals way.

PS The idea that he's a good pick because he knows the offense is pure bologna. The man was on the active roster for 8 weeks. He particpated in none of the offseason activities until the end of training camp. Anyone else you bring in could just as easily pick up that amount in the offseason (minicamp, OTA's, training camp, preseason).
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2021, 01:19 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Ryan had 2 TDs, 101 passer rating, and a victory over the steelers and yet some will look for the dark cloud in front of the silver lining. When's the last time a Bengal QB did that against the Steelers? 

If you watched that game and came to the conclusion that Ryan Finley belongs on an NFL roster then more power to you.

His entire body of work shows he doesn't.  The way they used him that game (hid his deficiences) shows just how scared they were to have this noodle arm actually try to move the ball down the field.  He was 7-13 for 89 yards

When your passing rating his higher than your yards passing then it's usually safe to assume that you can take that rating with a big 'ol grain of salt.
Reply/Quote
I'm fine with this as long as it is for veteran minimum or just a smidge over. We have a ton of holes on the roster. We are now set at QB and LS. Now its time to focus on all the bigger issues.

It would have been nice to have a high quality backup QB. But that's not what I want our limited resources spent on with the current condition of our roster.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2021, 01:42 AM)Alleyviper13 Wrote: good move would've been signing Alex Smith...

you guys are crazy...Brandon Allen is a nobody who's supposed to help Burrow in the NFL?

sorry guys.....Burrow is on his own again... Alex Smith couldve helped him LIKE MAHOMES

Same here. On the other hand, maybe they should've drafted Someones like Franks out of Arkansas and let Burrow groom him to be an NFL QB.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2021, 12:46 AM)Joelist Wrote: Really wasn't. Just not sure we should be carrying 3 QBs. 

Until training camp is over we should be.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2021, 01:42 AM)Alleyviper13 Wrote: good move would've been signing Alex Smith...

Yeah, this is where I am. Even last year I desperately wanted them to get a proper vet backup for Burrow. There's just too much value in being able to pick the mind of an 8+ year vet who has made some starts here and there to worry about the extra $2m you save going with Allen or Finley. 

Think this is Zac Taylor's insecurity showing. Seems he would rather have a younger less talented/experienced guy who won't buck the idea of throwing 42 times a game. Alex Smith is only 1 year younger than Taylor, and probably knows far more about being a QB.

Same reason why Taylor wouldn't go out and hire an experienced DC, and same reason why Taylor hired a stand-in "OC" who wouldn't mind letting Taylor control play calling.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Ryan Finley earned a spot with his smile

[Image: ryan_finley_teeth.0.png]

Allen should have been signed to a 5 yr deal.
Reply/Quote

can find other guys to hand the ball off.
Reply/Quote